Question Im building a WindowsXP gaming PC and i cant boot off of DVD

johnnycheddar78

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
So im trying to boot off of a DVD to install windows and i keep getting the "no boot device available, press ENTER key to retry" message. I put the DVD drive to priority boot, i burned an ISO image of windows XP SP3 onto a dvd, everything is plugged in correctly, i just would like to play some of my old games like CS: Source and Elder Scrolls IV

Specs if needed
Mobo: Dell G43T-DM1
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
RAM: 4GB DDR3
GPU: GeForce 8800 ultra
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB
Optical Drive: Super Write master Dvd writer

Thank you!

Does it want you to press a key to boot to DVD during startup process? If so, are you using a USB keyboard? If so, could be due to the flaky USB support outside of OS during that era. It can work fine to access BIOS, but not for the key press needed to install windows. There may some USB related options such as "Legacy USB support" in the BIOS that need checked to see if it helps.

johnnycheddar78

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
Does it want you to press a key to boot to DVD during startup process? If so, are you using a USB keyboard? If so, could be due to the flaky USB support outside of OS during that era. It can work fine to access BIOS, but not for the key press needed to install windows. There may some USB related options such as "Legacy USB support" in the BIOS that need checked to see if it helps.
No, i think its an issue with the DVD. It says "no boot device available, press ENTER key to retry"