[SOLVED] I'm building an office server

Feb 20, 2020
Hello!

I'll be building an office server.

First purpose:
We have 1TB of data and growing. Mostly pictures. I want to put in 2x2TB HDD drives and connect them with RAID1 on top of a ZFS filesystem for better data security. The system itself will be stored on an SSD 128-512GB drive. I want to have a possibility to scale the amount of data drives in the future if we get more data or decide to use RAID10.

The second purpose of the server - it will hold a nodeJS WEB application with mongoDB(20Gb of data) that will be used by 6 people at once at most.

I believe it would be a good thing if the motherboard would have 1Gbit/s LAN adapter.

Please, provide me with any recommendations for motherboards, CPUs, power supplies or anything else you see worth mentioning. I'd like to keep the overall build budget below 2000€, but any offers are interesting anyway.

Thank you!

Solution
First - RAID 1 is NOT for 'data security'. It is for drive redundancy, not data.
The OS and the user sees but one "file". If it gets accidentally deleted/corrupted..poof, gone. There is no second copy.
That is what actual backups are for.

Second - Consider any of the prebuilt NAS boxes for this. A 4 bay Synology or Qnap will easily do what you require. And probably for under $1000, incl drives.
Each user can have their own Home space, another large space for shared data, etc, etc.

The 4 bay Qnap I have in my house could easily do this function.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
If one of the main points of the server is to host pictures perhaps a single 4TB SSD would be the way to go versus 2 x 2TB HDD? Doable with a 2000€ budget easily.

Even if you wanted to order a prebuilt system rather than assembling yourself e.g. the first spec I put into Alternate.de was:

PC-Builder (Kosten für Zusammenbau,
Define R6 Solid PCGH-Edition Tower-Gehäuse
Ryzen 7 3700X, Prozessor
TUF GAMING X570-PLUS, Mainboard
860 QVO 4 TB, Solid State Drive
GeForce GT 710, Grafikkarte
RM650 650W, PC-Netzteil
NH-U14S, CPU-Kühler,
DIMM 16 GB DDR4-3000 Kit, Arbeitsspeicher
PC Fertigung
€ 1.533,39 (inc tax)

USAFRet

Titan
First - RAID 1 is NOT for 'data security'. It is for drive redundancy, not data.
The OS and the user sees but one "file". If it gets accidentally deleted/corrupted..poof, gone. There is no second copy.

Second - Consider any of the prebuilt NAS boxes for this. A 4 bay Synology or Qnap will easily do what you require. And probably for under $1000, incl drives.
Each user can have their own Home space, another large space for shared data, etc, etc.

The 4 bay Qnap I have in my house could easily do this function.

Reactions: Oussebon
Solution
Feb 20, 2020

Well, yes, it is for redundancy, which ends up being the security. If the user deletes the file - I restore a ZFS snapshot and file is there again. However, if the drive itself malfunctions - ZFS won't help, yet as I will be using RAID1 - I can simply remove the faulty drive - add a new one instead and rebuild the data from the mirror.

I would like to install Debian on the system so that I'd be able to use SAMBA for particular table of permissions for each user, also various packages on the same server, developers will need universal environment where I don't need to worry that pre-installed NAS OS won't allow me to install certain packages or do certain configurations.

If one of the main points of the server is to host pictures perhaps a single 4TB SSD would be the way to go versus 2 x 2TB HDD?

I would like to use 2x2TB solely because of RAID1. If I'm using only one disk - I cannot use RAID1.

The main point, however is that the server should be able to achieve high amount of I/O when people work with 20Gb database on the same server.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I would like to install Debian on the system so that I'd be able to use SAMBA for particular table of permissions for each user, also various packages on the same server, developers will need universal environment where I don't need to worry that pre-installed NAS OS won't allow me to install certain packages or do certain configurations.
The QNAP OS absolutely lets you install any Linux, and run as desired.