Question I'm building mini-itx, & while the case has 2 brackets most GPUs take both slots; is there a GPU that is narrow enough to only take the one bracket?

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I need optical out and the motherboard has spdif header but the optical out bracket will take one slot; I'm not a heavy gamer, I need a GPU that is narrow enough to fit in just the one bracket slot, can be full size, just narrow, does such exist?

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
What kind of build are you rolling? Depending on your performance goals it may just be easier to roll a Ryzen APU or something and use the integrated graphics, leaving your slots to be occupied via the optical bracket.

Reactions: alphacoyle

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
here's a start

pcpartpicker sorted for single slot cards.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&page=1&qq=1

many of the fans will extend a bit past the single slot but should be thinner than the normal full sized cards.

but as others have noted, what you plan on using the pc for will go along way into determining what type of card you may need. plenty of options once we know what you're gonna do with it :)

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I don't do any intensive gaming, but I would like something a bit more than the integrated graphics; this is a new build and it will perform different uses as a living room pc for internet use and some gaming; also as htpc so don't know if streaming video would be improved by a graphics card--I use the surround system for dvds. So yeah, just something that would be an improvement over the igpu--I had considered going with an amd build as the 3400G has better graphics, and if the AsRock Fatal1ty B450 ever comes back in stock I might change directions; as is I've been leaning towards an intel build with the new i3-10100. The AsRock B450 has an onboard optical out which I haven't been able to find in any of the new itx boards, the Asus rog strix B460 has an spdif header that I can put an optical out bracket in one of the slots, is why I am looking for single slot gpus. Maybe the new amd boards coming out will have optical out in mini-itx. The gpu can be wide and full size as that optical bracket doesn't have much behind it, just has to be one slot.
AC5C_1_201903231047904064.jpg

Last edited:
I don't do any intensive gaming, but I would like something a bit more than the integrated graphics; this is a new build and it will perform different uses as a living room pc for internet use and some gaming;

I would just get an audio extractor or usb sound card with optical out, and use regular-sized GPU in this case. iGPU is nowhere near the performance of a dedicated one.
P.S Your TV might have optical output and you can use that too.

Last edited:

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
Your Best choice is Ryzen 3400G.

I do have Lenovo ThinkCentre M75q (ITX) on Living Room as streaming device. it can play games on 1080p Low/Medium Settings.

to connect it to my surround speaker. I use DAC. My Lenovo HDMI connected to this thing and the optical audio on my sound system
https://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Optic...B017B6WFP8?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_6#customerReviews

I think you can build your own and just use DAC.

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Strangest thing, the Fatal1ty B450 motherboard first was backordered both newegg & amazon--the b450 has an optical out onboard--then it went out of stock, and so did some of the intel boards I had been watching, so since I had already ordered an intel cpu--price has went up since my ordering--I jumped on the Asus Rog 460 board as the next up the 470 went out of stock and I'd already went thru this looking for a PSU. I got that Asus optical bracket in the pic up above--oh and the 3400g went out of stock as well.