[SOLVED] Im buying new ram, should I..

Solution
XMP is bios specific. If it's not there it's not there.

There is an SMP chip on the RAM that tells the BIOS it's timings and what to use. When the computer boots it reads this and sets up the speeds automatically. XMP is a recent extension to this that adds information for optional increased timings for overclocking. It has to be built into the BIOS by the manufacturer in order to read the XMP information. All you do is enable XMP and choose some of the increased speeds. Or you can also enable manual mode and put the numbers in yourself. XMP is kind of stupid if you ask me. Every new computer should be manually inputed using the numbers on the chip and not rely on SMP. Overclocking should also be done manually and not rely on...

WildCard999

Titan
Is 24 RAM ( 2x8 new and 8 old) Good for Gaming? Or 16 are just enough??
Well having the mix of a 2x8gb kit with a 8gb stick won't run in dual channel (unlike just the 2x8gb kit alone) however the difference in performance could be mild, like a few FPS (more or less).

As for if 16gb is enough it depends on what your doing. I have 16gb on my desktop which is plenty for my game, Discord & watching Netflix on my second screen. I just bought a laptop with 8gb which is sufficient for my games and Discord.

Apr 6, 2020
Well having the mix of a 2x8gb kit with a 8gb stick won't run in dual channel (unlike just the 2x8gb kit alone) however the difference in performance could be mild, like a few FPS (more or less).

As for if 16gb is enough it depends on what your doing. I have 16gb on my desktop which is plenty for my game, Discord & watching Netflix on my second screen. I just bought a laptop with 8gb which is sufficient for my games and Discord.
Thank you. Will it work just playing games and listening to music, youtube or twitch?

WildCard999

Titan
When I put them all, what should I expect? I mean what problems?
Well hopefully it boots right up and shows all 24gb of memory and you don't encounter any BSOD's or crashes, this would be ideal.

Issues could be...

-BSOD
-System isn't booting
-Memory not recognized
-XMP/DOCP/etc not working. What these do is make sure the memory is running at the correct speed, voltage & timings in the BIOS.

There may be other issues but I'm kind of having a brain fart at the moment :p Try it out and let me know how it works out.

Apr 6, 2020
Well hopefully it boots right up and shows all 24gb of memory and you don't encounter any BSOD's or crashes, this would be ideal.

Issues could be...

-BSOD
-System isn't booting
-Memory not recognized
-XMP/DOCP/etc not working. What these do is make sure the memory is running at the correct speed, voltage & timings in the BIOS.

There may be other issues but I'm kind of having a brain fart at the moment :p Try it out and let me know how it works out.
Okay, I dont really know what BSOD is and XMP/DOCP are...... can you explain? :D And how I can check these things in the BIOS? I dont really know what that is too :|

WildCard999

Titan
BSOD=Blue Screen of Death. It's pretty much the same thing as crashes but will show an error usually.

XMP/DOCP is a setting in the motherboard BIOS that if enabled will run the RAM/Memory at the correct speed, voltage & timings. By default DDR4 usually runs at 2133 even if the stick is 3200mhz because that option needs to be enabled. Depending on your specs having faster memory could make a significant performance difference.

What CPU do you have?

Apr 6, 2020
BSOD=Blue Screen of Death. It's pretty much the same thing as crashes but will show an error usually.

XMP/DOCP is a setting in the motherboard BIOS that if enabled will run the RAM/Memory at the correct speed, voltage & timings. By default DDR4 usually runs at 2133 even if the stick is 3200mhz because that option needs to be enabled. Depending on your specs having faster memory could make a significant performance difference.

What CPU do you have?
Intel Core i7-6700 3.40 GHZ

Apr 6, 2020
Intel Core i7-6700 3.40 GHZ

What CPU do you have?
And I dont know how to enable these settings, or they are automatically

TRENDING THREADS