im computer illiterate, please help me!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Well your processor is plenty fast enough and if you have a 1024MB RAM that should be enough for now as well (though there are one or two games that can make use of a little more).

I would concentrate just on upgrading your graphics card, considering you are using Intel integrated graphics the difference should be like night and day!

Don't think it's necessary to go mad on the power supply. The only other thing I'd look at when you have the case open is cooling. I'f there aren't any cooling fans in there at the moment and your case has room for them, I'd stick one on the back pulling hot air out and if there is room, one on the front to pull fresh air in. Hey, if you are in Spain and without air conditioning, things can get quite toasty there!

Generally your system should be fairly speedy in general use, if it feels slow it may be worth looking to see if uneeded things are running in the background etc. I trust you are using an antivirus and that you scan once in a while for any spyware, there are free tools for those e.g. AVG and Adaware.

Hope this helps a little. Sure you'll be enjoying some decent gaming as soon as you get a proper graphics card in there.

Karl

jesusgotcaught

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I just got done speaking to the gateway update/sales support ...he wasent much help though :roll: it was pretty funny because i ignored him every time he said
Bruce_GWPS028 says: Are you going to use mastercard or visa?"
and i just asked another question....heh, also im 16 and dont have a credit card 8O

my choices for memory are:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&Description=2+x+512mb+184-pin&Submit=ENE&Ntk=all&N=0&minPrice=91.99&maxPrice=92.49&Go.x=23&Go.y=36

which do you recemend? Im almost positive those are compatable with my computer....i asked the gate way guy what the "timing" was and he could only explain the 1st 2 numbers.

Is heat spreader a good thing, or a bad thing??
Is there a way to increase the amount of RAM my internet uses to store temp files, or is it using it all now..?
How do i tell if my computer uses "proprietary components" ??

My problem with memory is i play Gaia online, its a free web game, and i have to keep deleting my temporary internet files or else parts of the game will not load. Imput on this ?

mr_fnord

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Temporary internet files have nothing to do with RAM. RAM is working memory for instructions being executed. Temporary internet files are stored on your HDD. If your HDD is not full (I'm guessing not since it was recently wiped), you can increase the size of your IE cache by going to Tools/Internet Options clicking Settings button under the Temporary Internet files heading, and increasing the amount of HD space you want to use for temp file cache.

Don't worry about a new power supply. That card should pose no problem to your current stock unit. If you get lockups on entering 3d mode, ie a game, or visual artifacts (snow, weird colors), or your computer reboots itself, that could be an underpowered PS, but that is unlikely with what you're talking about. Also, Gateway most likely uses a custom PS connector, meaning swapping PSUs will require cutting wires and splicing them into different wires, not fun.

Finally, copper vs plain heat sink on the video card won't have a huge impact. It is partly style and partly efficiency. A copper heat sink might keep the chip 1-2 degrees cooler, but that will not have much impact. Might increase the life of the card a few %, but it would be like 6.5 years instead of 6. A more important factor is the quality of the silicon in the GPU, and the metal in your heatsink won't change that.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Illiterate dude, u have 4 memory slots. This means u can have a max of 4GB of memory, using 4, 1GB sticks.
You have 512MB of memory now, if ur using 1 stick then u have 3 more spaces, and if ur using 2 sticks of 256MB then u have 2 more spaces. In any case, to speed up ur PC u can buy another 512MB of ram, prefferably in 1 stick of 512MB, but i dont think ull see a big difference in performance. If u want faster Internet browsing, get a higher connection.

Remmember to buy DDR 400 memory!

jesusgotcaught

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
The gateway guy told me you have to use memory sticks in pairs?
I have 1024 dual channel memory (x2 512 sticks i think)

Im concidering not getting a new psu, and not getting more memory, and just getting the 7600gt KO

Is 1024 enough memory to play most games on steam ?
Will it affect my computer performance if i keep my 300w psu and just get the gdu card? Will it be obvious if its under powered ?

I just changed my internet cache from 1192 mb to 31001 mb 8O

I have comcast cable btw. There is a fan sucking in air on the front of my computer, and a fan blowing out on the back, the PC wizzard says my cpu temp is 51c.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
The gateway guy told me you have to use memory sticks in pairs?
I have 1024 dual channel memory (x2 512 sticks i think)

Only if you want to use dual channel mode. If you don't care about doubling your theoretical memory bandwidth, then don't bother. And RAM itself isn't dual channel, the motherboard runs the RAM in that mode.

Im concidering not getting a new psu, and not getting more memory, and just getting the 7600gt KO

Fine. That should work pretty well. The 7600GT is decent, and a GB is plenty for most games.

Is 1024 enough memory to play most games on steam ?

Yes.

Will it affect my computer performance if i keep my 300w psu and just get the gdu card? Will it be obvious if its under powered ?

Not sure. OEM power supplies are tough to figure, because it's almost impossible to tell what brand they are, and thus how well you can predict its ability. If your PSU isn't enough, you'll be able to tell. If performance is way below where it should be, it could be throttling itself back to conserve power. Or, it just won't work. But, 7600GTs tend to be pretty efficient, so I'm 80% sure you won't have any problems.

I just changed my internet cache from 1192 mb to 31001 mb 8O

I hope that's in disk space, not memory. If it is, you're in trouble. Turn it back to 512MB and save some disk capacity. You won't lose any performance, or gain any by increasing it, for that matter.

I have comcast cable btw. There is a fan sucking in air on the front of my computer, and a fan blowing out on the back, the PC wizzard says my cpu temp is 51c.

Well, you do have a Pentium...probably Prescott, but it could be Northwood. Both run pretty warm. It's well within spec, so don't worry.

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Yes, 1Gb of RAM is enough for any of the games on Steam.

Although I don't know why you would want to increase your IE cache. In my personal experience, with dialup the IE cache can help speed up access to already visited sites a bit, but with broadband it doesn't matter as much. I personally don't like any temporary files at all. I don't even like cookies though I have to let the browser store them for access to some things.

mr_fnord

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
An underpowered PS will generally lock up or reboot your computer. It might be intermittent or it might be every time you start a game, but you should be able to tell.

1 GB of RAM should be enough for most games. 2GB might see improvements in load times, and a few games will run better with 2 GB, but 1 is fine for a low-mid game machine. Also, when you disable your onboard video you'll get a little more RAM for general use.

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Heat spreader or not doesn't matter much from what most people say. However I believe that it will help in the long run, helps soak up heat from high performance ram.

juvealert

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
don't know if they told u this but i didn't feel like reading all the post

here cones the business: cooper heatsinks are the best heatsinks!!! as cooper is the best & cheap heat conductor from all metals.

when choosing between cooper and aluminium heatsinks go for cooper

ps. search this info in a physics book :p lol

regards to internet cache if ur willing to do a format u can create a small extar partition and set ur paging files and internet temp files to this partition

peace

jesusgotcaught

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Well, im ordering just the 7600gt KO when my dad gets back in about 20 mins 8) Along with CS:S and War Hammer 40k gold edition, all from newegg.com

Any last words :?

say...because its overclocked...would it actaully use the 50 extra watts it says it requires?

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
it looks like you have 1 gig of ram <2 512s> which is fine
2 would be better but it should work fine
you wont even be thinking about ram<memory>
after you get the 76gt working as it will be the biggest
improvement over onboard memory.

the factory psu,s that come with dells or gateways
are pretty decent. the reason being is

to provide enough power for the computer
reliable <if they sold a cheap one> they
meaning dell or gateway would have to warranty
the whole computer <if the psu crapped out>
and fired the mobo or whatever

the 76gt does not require a 6 pin molex power connect
as it gets its power from the pcix slot

although a better psu is always a good idea

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
a thermaltake tr2 430 power supply is around 30 $
at new egg <mybrother has one> and they have good
reviews. and they will power the 79gt and x18 or1900 ati cards
because they have a power out for 6 pin molex
though running one of the before mentioned cards with
multiple cooling fans might be a problem.

jesusgotcaught

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
ERRRRRRR!!! out of stock! and it says the 30$ rebate expires in a few days!!!

Also, the 7600gt says it has Memory Type GDDR3 . My RAM is DDR ....does that matter? will the 7600gt fri my mobo because of this??
Anyone have any ideas on what i should buy now? How long would it take newegg to get it back in stock?

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
the video card will work fine dont worry about it.

as for the power supply
any one from antec,thermaltake,enermax.
or the aspire brand is popular. will do fine.

if you were talking about the 430watt psu from
thermaltake and it is out of stock, well that sucks
but it tells you it is a good cheap psu.

i would imagine that new egg will restock asap.

jesusgotcaught

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
no their out of stock with the 7600gt made by eGVA

Should i wait it out *grinds his theeth*
What is vivo? i noticed the MSI version supports "vivo"??? the PNY version's reviews said it was really loud...is it possible that the eGVA version is quieter?

Newegg said the eGVA main in rebate expires 7/31 ... do you think they might stop stocking it? or do you think eGVA might make a new rebate for it??? ....i wish i ordered it sooner!!!

somebody said that a new psu would be a hassle because gateways notorious for making their things slightly different...and that i might have trouble installing it....they said i might have to split wires!?!?!? 8O
(please keep the title of this thread in mind)

i just got done talking to the gateway sales representative and he said they carry the PNY 7600gt but it costs 189$ 8O he said installing one would be simple.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
you can pick another 76gt card if you want just about any brand will
do.

vivo is video in and video out

they will make the 76gt for a while

and installing the psu should not be a problem
just take your time and pay attention where
all the little plugs go to the mobo

jesusgotcaught

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
whats the difference between if it supports vivo or not ?
im thinking about just ordering the PNY version, its just as cheap as the eVGA one, Does anybody have any experience with PNY ?

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
vivo lets you connect say <a dvd or sattlelight tv reciever>
so you can watch movies or satllelight tv
i have a 6800gt it doesnt have vivo i kind of wish it did
all it does is video out

pny are pretty good

i still have a gforce 4 and fx 5200 pny video card

jesusgotcaught

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
ok im ordering it now with my dads credit card.
if im not back here in a week i hate you all :evil:
if i do come back then everything worked out fine!

You guys are really helpful, some other forums i post in dont respond as quick as you guys do! Thank you!