I'm confused as to how this happens.

Feb 5, 2019
I do have a good amount of knowledge on storage drives, but this is confusing me on a whole other level. I purchased this 16gb flash drive like 2 years ago with the intention to use it as a way to move things when I needed it, but it's become my personal linux drive and windows installer when ever I happen to need it. After I used it for a windows 10 installation on my friends computer I went home and didn't think much of it. Now, fast forward to today, I'm trying to use it for a windows 7 installation and the drive is about 29gb, and it's also a functional 29gb. Is there any explanation for this, or could I have possibly been sold a flashdrive with that space and didn't know the entire time. It came in a 16gb box from Walmart about 2 years ago.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model USB drive?

Do you remember ever checking the available drive space pre "29GB"?

Perhaps indeed the 16 GB USB drive you purchased was actually 32 GB.

Capacity is not a function of the OS (Linux or Windows 10) per se.

What formatting options have been applied?

Feb 5, 2019
I'm just confused, I've remembered it being 16gb because I have a 32gb as well that looks completely different, so I know I haven't mixed them up. The other one is silver which is the 32gb one and this one is blue which is the 16gb, but now for some reason 29gb. I'll check the model on Google once I'm done creating a windows install drive, it hasn't taken that long I just accidentally formatted to FAT32 without looking.