Question I'm confused want to buy new cpu for only Gaming, Next Month Core i9-10900X?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 6, 2019
hello, I'm confused
beacuse Next Month the 10x net gen intel cpu coming out.
but the new cpus that come out, dont have K option for OC? Or Gaming?
Core i9-10900X its will be the next gen. but its not good for gaming?
9900k or i9-10900x who will be most strong for only gaming? beacuse its not have K options for OverClocking like other cpus have.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
“Air cooler”?
I wouldn’t recommend that!
And why not? They are superior to liquid, save for 360mm AIOs and full custom loops.
They also have fewer faults, and last a lifetime, except for 1 thing... the fan(s).

Liquid coolers are the way to go!
I see someone must've filled your head with liquid cooling mumbo-jumbo...

TL;DR - don't worry about the 10000 series. When it eventually comes out, its gaming performance over the 9000 series will be only slightly better, probably not noticeable.

Plus, depending on your video card, monitor resolution, and monitor refresh rate, the CPU side of things could be less important than the GPU side.

Finally, you don't need the very top-tier best of the best to enjoy gaming. You only need that if you're interested in bragging rights.
Agree with all points.

Which is why I still want to know what a 9700K/9900K can't do that a 10000-series chip is going to do a hell of a lot better, besides multitasking...

bragging rights
:rolleyes:

Get a 9900K/KF/KS - whatever, and be done with it. You won't be missing anything with 10000.

Reactions: King_V
hello, I'm confused
beacuse Next Month the 10x net gen intel cpu coming out.
but the new cpus that come out, dont have K option for OC? Or Gaming?
Core i9-10900X its will be the next gen. but its not good for gaming?
9900k or i9-10900x who will be most strong for only gaming? beacuse its not have K options for OverClocking like other cpus have.
What do you currently have now? Commet Lake LGA 1200 Desktop processors will be releasing in Q1 of 2020.

Endre

Reputable
And why not? They are superior to liquid, save for 360mm AIOs and full custom loops.
They also have fewer faults, and last a lifetime, except for 1 thing... the fan(s).

I see someone must've filled your head with liquid cooling mumbo-jumbo...

Agree with all points.

Which is why I still want to know what a 9700K/9900K can't do that a 10000-series chip is going to do a hell of a lot better, besides multitasking...

:rolleyes:

Get a 9900K/KF/KS - whatever, and be done with it. You won't be missing anything with 10000.

So... IF the price of the i9-10900K will be the same as of the i9-9900K, you’ll buy the i9-9900K because you don’t need those 2 extra cores??

That’s just like telling to your boss that you don’t need the 300$ raise of salary that he wants to give you, just because your monthly expenses aren’t so big! 🤣🤣🤣

Endre

Reputable
Phaaze88,
Liquid coolers ARE BETTER than air coolers.
I know people that own beefy Noctua coolers that when benchmarking their CPUs with Prime95, their CPUs go as hot as 100 celsius degrees!

My CPU never exceeded 80 celsius degrees when benchmarking, and my liquid cooler ain’t beefy at all, it’s just a Corsair H45!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Phaaze88,
I know people that own beefy Noctua coolers that when benchmarking their CPUs with Prime95, their CPUs go as hot as 100 celsius degrees!

My CPU never exceeded 80 celsius degrees when benchmarking, and my liquid cooler ain’t beefy at all, it’s just a Corsair H45!

Too many factors involved to definite one solution or the other. Factors being ambient temperature, air flow, voltage and if AVX instructions were used in Prime95. If one was to benchmark all day on hot cpu's then yeah, could probably argue water coolers would make sense in some scenarios.

For me, I'll never touch water. Fear of leaks, pump longevity and corrosion. I prefer a method that is effective, isn't a ticking time bomb and doesn't require much effort to maintain.

Not saying you're wrong, it's personal preference and opinions.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So... IF the price of the i9-10900K will be the same as of the i9-9900K, ...
Speculating here... neither of us knows the price. But when you got this sucker here, the 9900KS, launching within the month upwards of $600, you honestly expect this 10900K to be cheaper than that?
Intel's isn't going to stoop all the way to AMD's level. They still believe they possess premium products.
In order for the 10900K to run below $600, the 9900KS would also need to drop in price.
That's not taking into account the combination of motherboard and cpu cooler needed to meet that cpu's power needs and keep it reasonably cool.

...you’ll buy the i9-9900K because you don’t need those 2 extra cores??
Why wait up to another 6 months(according to rumors) for a cpu that doesn't offer any real advantage over the current king in gaming?
You STILL have not answered this question.
[What do you gain from Comet Lake that the current gaming king doesn't already cover?]
9900K:
-16 threads. What game(s) are maxing all those out?
-Top single core performance.
-Give the top single core cpu even higher single core performance with a 5.0ghz OC, provided the proper cooling and motherboard are on hand.

That’s just like telling to your boss that you don’t need the 300$ raise of salary that he wants to give you, just because your monthly expenses aren’t so big! 🤣🤣🤣
:pfff:
Work is a necessity. A 10900K/9900K is a want.

Explain. I'll give you mine, you give me yours.
Air coolers:
+generally quieter than liquid. The only moving parts are in the fan(s). Liquid cooling has fan(s) + pump.
+more affordable than liquid at the same level of performance.
+except for the fan(s), the heatsink lasts a lifetime. When the liquid cooler pump fails, it must be replaced.
+if a fan, or all fans fail, you can still operate the PC because the case fans will aid in cooling the heatsink
+doesn't clog, gunk up, dry out, or leak like liquid coolers can do over time.
+maintenance is easier.
+no concerns with galvanic corrosion ruining the cooler.

-the more effective the cooling, the larger the heatsink. Some of the larger models can interfere with the case side panel, rear case fan, and tall ram modules.
-no models currently available that can compete with 360mm and up AIOs, nor custom loops.

They didn't really know what the hell they were doing, huh? Noctua's coolers are fairly easy to mount, so...
1)Didn't use P95 v26.6, and failed to disable AVX.
2)In their overclocking endeavors, they all cranked their LLC settings to stupidly high levels as suggested in some OC guide by someone who didn't know any better, making their cpus run hotter than necessary. Plus other blah, blah, blahs regarding overclocking, and they didn't do proper research.
3)When case cooling is garbage, cpu cooling will also be garbage! Some people just seem to LOVE~!, and I mean LOVE, doing some of the BRIGHTEST combinations with their PCs:
-getting these 'cool' looking full glass cases and putting power hungry parts in them.
-getting cramped small form factor cases and also putting power hungry parts in them.
-get one of the above crap cases - power parts again - but use SILENCE FOCUSED case fans only! And so on...

The cpu in question is..?
The current gpu?
Which benchmarks?
Current case?

Bloody hell, did I get carried away...

Reactions: boju

Endre

Reputable
Speculating here... neither of us knows the price. But when you got this sucker here, the 9900KS, launching within the month upwards of $600, you honestly expect this 10900K to be cheaper than that?
Intel's isn't going to stoop all the way to AMD's level. They still believe they possess premium products.
In order for the 10900K to run below $600, the 9900KS would also need to drop in price.
That's not taking into account the combination of motherboard and cpu cooler needed to meet that cpu's power needs and keep it reasonably cool.

Why wait up to another 6 months(according to rumors) for a cpu that doesn't offer any real advantage over the current king in gaming?
You STILL have not answered this question.
[What do you gain from Comet Lake that the current gaming king doesn't already cover?]
9900K:
-16 threads. What game(s) are maxing all those out?
-Top single core performance.
-Give the top single core cpu even higher single core performance with a 5.0ghz OC, provided the proper cooling and motherboard are on hand.

:pfff:
Work is a necessity. A 10900K/9900K is a want.

Explain. I'll give you mine, you give me yours.
Air coolers:
+generally quieter than liquid. The only moving parts are in the fan(s). Liquid cooling has fan(s) + pump.
+more affordable than liquid at the same level of performance.
+except for the fan(s), the heatsink lasts a lifetime. When the liquid cooler pump fails, it must be replaced.
+if a fan, or all fans fail, you can still operate the PC because the case fans will aid in cooling the heatsink
+doesn't clog, gunk up, dry out, or leak like liquid coolers can do over time.
+maintenance is easier.
+no concerns with galvanic corrosion ruining the cooler.

-the more effective the cooling, the larger the heatsink. Some of the larger models can interfere with the case side panel, rear case fan, and tall ram modules.
-no models currently available that can compete with 360mm and up AIOs, nor custom loops.

They didn't really know what the hell they were doing, huh? Noctua's coolers are fairly easy to mount, so...
1)Didn't use P95 v26.6, and failed to disable AVX.
2)In their overclocking endeavors, they all cranked their LLC settings to stupidly high levels as suggested in some OC guide by someone who didn't know any better, making their cpus run hotter than necessary. Plus other blah, blah, blahs regarding overclocking, and they didn't do proper research.
3)When case cooling is garbage, cpu cooling will also be garbage! Some people just seem to LOVE~!, and I mean LOVE, doing some of the BRIGHTEST combinations with their PCs:
-getting these 'cool' looking full glass cases and putting power hungry parts in them.
-getting cramped small form factor cases and also putting power hungry parts in them.
-get one of the above crap cases - power parts again - but use SILENCE FOCUSED case fans only! And so on...

The cpu in question is..?
The current gpu?
Which benchmarks?
Current case?

Bloody hell, did I get carried away...

My build is:
  1. Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  2. CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
  3. CPU Cooler: Corsair H45
  4. Main Drive: SSD M.2 NVMe: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB
  5. Storage Drive 1: SSD SATA3: Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB
  6. Storage Drive 2: SSD SATA3: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB
  7. Memory: 32GB DDR4-2666 Kingston HyperX Fury
  8. Graphics Card: Palit NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (I know it ain’t good too , but I’m not really a gamer 😄)
  9. PSU: Corsair RM850x
  10. Case: Cooler Master MasterBox E500 (added 2 Corsair coolers of 240mm)
  11. Optical Drive: DVD-RW ASUS
  12. OS: Windows 10 Enterprise x64 v1903

X has a 165w TDP ? ...ouch...the real TDP will likely be well north of 200w :eek:
Thermal design power is the cooling power that the thermal dissipation unit (cooler) has to be designed for,it's not the CPU power draw,yes the CPU power draw will be much higher especially if you go beyond default specs.

Those are different products,if intel makes an all core at 5Ghz 10900ks then yes sure it will be at least $600 probably more,the replacement of the 9900k though will be the same price as the 9900k +- a few bucks at most.

Reactions: Endre

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My build is:
  1. Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  2. CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
  3. CPU Cooler: Corsair H45
  4. Main Drive: SSD M.2 NVMe: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB
  5. Storage Drive 1: SSD SATA3: Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB
  6. Storage Drive 2: SSD SATA3: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB
  7. Memory: 32GB DDR4-2666 Kingston HyperX Fury
  8. Graphics Card: Palit NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (I know it ain’t good too , but I’m not really a gamer 😄)
  9. PSU: Corsair RM850x
  10. Case: Cooler Master MasterBox E500 (added 2 Corsair coolers of 240mm)
  11. Optical Drive: DVD-RW ASUS
  12. OS: Windows 10 Enterprise x64 v1903
So you're replacing your workstation rig with a gaming one, or building a gaming rig separate from the workstation, and moving parts out of it?

I searched around, and the Corsair H45 appears to be a rival for the CM 212 EVO, neither of which is a good pair for a 9700K. So you must not be pushing it very hard.

Those are different products,if intel makes an all core at 5Ghz 10900ks then yes sure it will be at least $600 probably more,the replacement of the 9900k though will be the same price as the 9900k +- a few bucks at most.
Ok, let's say they do. What about the motherboard and the cooler needed for it? That's still going to cost a limb...

EDIT: Something that just came to mind is whether or not this 10-core is going to be running the ring bus, which becomes more complicated to implement as cores are added.
If it instead runs the mesh bus, it sure as hell won't be faster than the 9900K.

Last edited:
Ok, let's say they do. What about the motherboard and the cooler needed for it? That's still going to cost a limb...
That's the same as for the 9900k, if you are only after base you can stick it into a $70 mobo and run it 24/7 with no problems,the 9900k has the same TDP as the 9700k because it's running at lower clocks for base the 10900k would have even lower base clocks or will be more efficient at those low clocks.
If you are after the highest possible clocks on all cores without it ever clocking down at all then you have to pay a ton for mobo and cooling for the 9900k as well,same as every previous highest CPU.

Reactions: Endre

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's the same as for the 9900k, if you are only after base you can stick it into a $70 mobo and run it 24/7 with no problems,the 9900k has the same TDP as the 9700k because it's running at lower clocks for base the 10900k would have even lower base clocks or will be more efficient at those low clocks.
True... but who actually desires to run a cpu like this at base clock on purpose?

If you are after the highest possible clocks on all cores without it ever clocking down at all then you have to pay a ton for mobo and cooling for the 9900k as well,same as every previous highest CPU.
Agree

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Welp...

Reactions: SgtScream
"In a shocking piece of news..."

It's not really all that shocking, as anyone keeping up with leaks would be pretty sure that Intel's desktop CPUs would remain on 2015's 14nm Skylake architecture for at least the next year, and prior rumors already suggested that they might be skipping their long-delayed 10nm architecture on the desktop. I was kind of expecting them to move to a new process node in 2021 though.

I think for my 65th birthday in 2043, I will celebrate by treating myself to Intel's newest CPU, using a 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ process. They may be out of lakes by this point.
I'd like to know why people even care about what namomenter the processor's fabrication is. I really don't think it's a big deal. Intel sticks with 14nm because that's where they're currently yielding the best results.

Last edited:
I'd like to know why people even care about what namomenter the processor's fabrication is.
It's relatively inefficient and puts out a lot of heat by current standards, making it hard to cool. So, you pretty much need an expensive and unreliable water cooling setup just to keep temperatures in check on these higher core-count processors. IPC hasn't really improved much since Skylake, so Intel just keeps increasing clockrates to wring a little more performance out of the architecture each year.

It's relatively inefficient and puts out a lot of heat by current standards, making it hard to cool. So, you pretty much need an expensive and unreliable water cooling setup just to keep temperatures in check on these higher core-count processors. IPC hasn't really improved much since Skylake, so Intel just keeps increasing clockrates to wring a little more performance out of the architecture each year.
Lets say Intel jumps straight to 7nm. Do you think their frequency would theoretically improve? This is purely speculation but I suspect they aren't doing it because they won't be able to achieve 5ghz frequency boosts.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Lets say Intel jumps straight to 7nm. Do you think their frequency would theoretically improve? This is purely speculation but I suspect they aren't doing it because they won't be able to achieve 5ghz frequency boosts.
Haven't we already seen this with 10mn? They just tossed those to mobile, because they couldn't get the frequency up.
Must be something off with their process, so 7nm will be TSMC too? 🤷‍♂️

Haven't we already seen this with 10mn? They just tossed those to mobile, because they couldn't get the frequency up.
Must be something off with their process, so 7nm will be TSMC too? 🤷‍♂️
That's what i'm thinking. I have a Ryzen R7 1700 and it's already been a few years. That's why my next build is going to be the last 14nm fab revision Comet lake, which will be Intel's first response to third gen Ryzen competition. I think that's going to be a great opportunity to build for many enthusiasts and that's primarily why I think 14nm is a good thing.

Last edited:
This was entertaining.

But I wonder, now that Intels new, new, new refresh... Am I missing one "new"?, mmmmm I lost the count, Core i3 4 cores/8 threads cpu has been spotted, I really don't understand why people worry about HEDT CPUs.

Intel will probably also launch a refresh Core i5 with 6 cores/12 thredas, they may launch a Core i7 with 8 cores/16 threads and who know perhaps a new Core i9 with 10 cores/20 threads.

HEDT CPUs are great for real heavy workloads, but right now, with AMD's Ryzen 9 and Intel's Core i9 you really need to think very carefull before spending that much money on an hedt cpu if gaming is also a must.

Reactions: Phaaze88