Question I'm confused want to buy new cpu for only Gaming, Next Month Core i9-10900X?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 6, 2019
hello, I'm confused
beacuse Next Month the 10x net gen intel cpu coming out.
but the new cpus that come out, dont have K option for OC? Or Gaming?
Core i9-10900X its will be the next gen. but its not good for gaming?
9900k or i9-10900x who will be most strong for only gaming? beacuse its not have K options for OverClocking like other cpus have.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This was entertaining.
That it is.

... I really don't understand why people worry about HEDT CPUs.
Some people don't know any better, and then there are the 'special' ones...
If the PC isn't directly involved in one's career, or making them money, then they probably don't need HEDT - with some exceptions, of course!
But, in the case of this thread, I believe it was confusion caused by a fake slide, like the one here: https://www.game-debate.com/news/27...re-i9-10900kf-processor-through-a-timely-leak

Intel will probably also launch a refresh Core i5 with 6 cores/12 thredas, they may launch a Core i7 with 8 cores/16 threads and who know perhaps a new Core i9 with 10 cores/20 threads.
Until Intel finally gets away from 14nm Infinity, I don't expect anything to be mind-blowingly better than my 7820X.
Not to mention the cooling requirements for these refreshes can only get worse; increasing core count and frequency - before long, they'll have 120w TDP I5s!!!:pfff:

HEDT CPUs are great for real heavy workloads, but right now, with AMD's Ryzen 9 and Intel's Core i9 you really need to think very carefull before spending that much money on an hedt cpu if gaming is also a must.
Ehh, it's not hard at all. Some people make it hard for themselves. E-Z mode:
-Prioritize gaming? Then stick with mainstream.
-If work takes priority, then HEDT.
-Need HEDT, but don't quite have the budget for it? Then high-end mainstream.
Looking at it like that, the pros have more options...

Reactions: RodroX

InvalidError

Titan
Lets say Intel jumps straight to 7nm. Do you think their frequency would theoretically improve? This is purely speculation but I suspect they aren't doing it because they won't be able to achieve 5ghz frequency boosts.
Whether or not whatever first architecture Intel puts on 7nm will reach 5GHz depends on how good the process actually turns out to be and how much of whatever timing margins Intel gains from the process shrink goes into IPC improvements instead of pushing clock frequency. Intel put a lot of effort into IPC in Icelake and paid the price in lower clocks despite the shrink. Between the ~18% IPC improvement and ~10% clock loss, it is still an ~8% net gain. Maybe 10nm+ will enable Intel to make up the timing margins it expected but didn't get out of plain 10nm.

Same story with AMD really. AMD could either put more smaller faster transistor to use for increased IPC or keep the cores simple and crank up the clocks. It put most of its effort into IPC and because of it, only had ~5% of the timing budget left for higher clocks which translated into sustainable all-cores clocks going up only 200MHz.

Moving to a new process or architecture is always a balancing act between adding stuff to the design so it can do more work per clock and cranking up the clocks.

Reactions: RodroX
@Phaaze88, yeap I know the new refreshed cpu from Intel wont be mind blowing, and they will be no fresh at all. The cooling solution for those CPUs will only get bigger, I was just pointing out that theres more stuff comin from Intel in the 14nm+++..... node, for those who may not be aware (like the OP).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Phaaze88, yeap I know the new refreshed cpu from Intel wont be mind blowing, and they will be no fresh at all. The cooling solution for those CPUs will only get bigger, I was just pointing out that theres more stuff comin from Intel in the 14nm+++..... node, for those who may not be aware (like the OP).
I know. That was more of rant.

Since page one, the OP has yet to answer the question, "What does 10th gen offer that a 9900K can't already do for just gaming?"

Reactions: King_V and RodroX