Boralgin

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Hi everyone!
If I consider what I've read about the official requirements for Vista and compare my old december 2005 pc, i should not be be able to run it at all, or, even if i were able to run it, it wouls suck some major ****
So, I was wondering, if any of you could tell me their opinion.
Here we go:
My Gf is not DX10 compliant, it's a 7800GTX ----- problem?
I got an AMD64x2 4400
4 gigabytes of ram - is Vista actually going to see all of it, 'cause Xp can't (some limit, because it uses memory to address devices, as far as I understand), all Xp sees is about 3.5 gigs of ram.
Should I switch to Vista? or should I stay with XP, until I get myself a new PC?
Your opinions are much appreciated.

mattthenewb

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
"AMD64x2 4400"

I'm assuming this means dual core.

If so your system is better than my brand-new Vista certified one. You are well above the recommended reqs from MS and you are above the recommended reqs even from enthusiasts. The fact that your vid card isnt DX10 compliant only means you wont be able to use new DX10 features. Most PCs that get Vista at release will probably not have DX10 cards as they cost over $500 right now.

Its hard to foresee your system having any problems. It would cost some decent change to get that setup new right now. Do you think that MS would design an OS that only works well on the top 5% of PCs on the market?

tyr86

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2005
Yes you can run Vista fine with your video card and massive amount of RAM. Just wait for the official public release on Jan 30th. I don't recommend Vista now because of software/hardware driver issues which should be fixed by the end of next month.

It's not a limit of XP per se... it's a limit of 32-bit OSes. If you had XP Pro x64, you'd be able to make use of that full 4GB of RAM. This will be the same with Vista... if you get 32-bit, Windows will not "see" all 4GB, but if you have 64-bit Vista, you'll get to "see" all of it.