I'm connected to internet but it doesn't work

kevinburke

Prominent
May 1, 2017
This issue randomly appeared when I booted up my PC yesterday. The icon in the taskbar says I'm connected to the internet via cable (which I am), but the internet doesnt work. Not only on the browser, i cant either play steam games and such. Basically I cant do nothing, its just like the cable is unplugged. I have tried everything i found and thought that could help (ip release/renew, winsock reset, dns flush, I set my dns and ip to be obtained automatically, restarted my router and reset it to factory settings, switched the cable in the router ports, turned off firewall, did troubleshooting.. and nothing, same problem). The wifi works so its definitely not a modem related issue. Does anyone have an idea? Please help me fast, I am forced to use mobile data on my pc. edit by Moderator for language

RealBeast

Titan
Can you ping the router gateway address using the command prompt window and get any through when using Ethernet?

Do you have a second cable to check that as the issue? Or use the cable you have to connect a different device.

Does the control panel network adapter have a yellow mark by it or does it appear normal? What model Ethernet adapter is listed in the device manager?

Windows 10, or another version?

kevinburke

Prominent
May 1, 2017
yes i can ping 127.0.0.1, and yes I can try checking if it works on another pc later but i think it will, its a pc related issue imo. not sure about the yellow mark but I will check it when I am home, and yes I have windows 10.

RealBeast

Titan

127.0.0.1 is not your router gateway address, that is a loopback address that validates your IP stack -- in other words it means that your computer can ping itself. The router gateway address is likely something like 192.168.x.1 (usually x = 0 or 1 but occasionally 254). So try pinging your gateway.

What output do you get if you type ipconfig in your command prompt box (it should show you your device IP address and your router gateway address among other things).

kevinburke

Prominent
May 1, 2017
nah because I really dont know what NIC is or whatever.. and how am I supposed to reinstall if i dont have internet connection lmao.. and no I dont have malwarebytes and I cant download it because ive no internet on my pc

RealBeast

Titan
He's just asking if you have uninstalled and reinstalled the Realtek NIC (Ethernet adapter), which deletes the driver and reinstalls it. It would reinstall from the local file that has all the drivers. But that isn't top priority if you can ping something outside your machine (so forget 127.0.0.1) -- your router or any other machine attached to the switch on your router.

The troubleshooting approach I advocate is based on starting at the machine and working outward, as you are doing.

The next step is a lot different if you can ping your router compared to not being able to do so.

lmao??? There are plenty of ways to find a driver without use of the machine that it's required for, do you have a mobile phone? download malwarebytes the same way, link phone to PC using a usb cable (or whatever)??? NIC = Network Interface Card, look in device manager or whatever......! lmao!

RealBeast

Titan
No, probably not since you would have to install the driver in any case. Try the simple stuff first and only resort to a clean install if you must.

But I still do not know if you can actually ping your router gateway address, which if you can would mean that you don't need to even mess with any drivers.

Can you ping the router gateway address and get 4/4 through? (not 127.0.0.1, but the gateway router address that is something like 192.168.x.1 where x is between 0 and 254)

RealBeast

Titan
So now we know that it has nothing to do with your software or hardware all the way to the router -- no need for any reinstalls or driver reinstalls.

The only exception would be if you are attempting to use a VPN turn it off for all testing and then troubleshoot that later.

If you have a distinct modem, I would take the router out and connect directly to the modem, if it is a combo gateway then just do the following anyway.

Use the problem computer and try to ping a well known site after setting my DNS server manually in the computer to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (network control panel, change adapter settings, right click the Ethernet adapter and select properties, then select Internet Protocol Version 4 and highlight it with a single click then select properties, on the bottom half of the general page hit the radio button to use the following DNS server addresses and enter those).

If that fails run a tracert command in the command prompt and see where it fails: tracert www.microsoft.com

That output will list the hops to the target site and can show you where it fails, perhaps at your ISP level.