I'm done with my GPU, Wondering if I can get RMA?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akhilcool

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Hey guys so I am quite pissed off at this point. My Sapphire 6870 w/ Dual fans (DiRT 3 edition), might I stress again that it is has dual fans, is overheating. Now I've already posted many threads on this forum asking of how to troubleshoot this problem, yet I had no luck with any of the suggestions I was given. I pushed my OC back to stock (I was barely able to get any higher of a stable OC anyways), I even replaced the thermal paste with Arctic Silver 5, two times because I thought I might have added too much the first time. My temps when running Furmark or OCCT are easily 82*C + and this is at a stock overclock of 900mhz core and 1050mhz memory clock. When I play Just Cause 2, my temps are around 65*C - 70*C which are generally low compared to my stability testing temps yet they are still pretty high considering that the GPU is dual fan and the game isn't even that graphic intensive as opposed to BF3 or any of the latest games. When I play Witcher 2 however, my temps are between 70*C and 75*C. Now obviously this is not even close to normal as other people are getting between 50*C -70*C max even when stress testing. When my card idles it is at 33*C as soon as the system boots up. After about 10-20 min of idling it is at 37*C-45*C. Now I pretty much gave up on the card and I'd like to RMA it A.S.A.P.

My system is well cooled I'd say. I have a HAF 912 case that has two CM sickleflow 120mm fans as front intake. One stock 120mm side case fan that blows directly at my GPU, a 200mm megaflow as exhaust on the top and a stock 120mm rear case fan as exhaust. I even thought that maybe my airflow pressures were too neutral, or maybe there might have been a vortex that was disturbing the airflow so I turned off all my case fans except for my rear 120mm fan. This didn't change anything much so I turned on my side case fan along with my rear fan which also didn't help. After playing around with which fans were on or off I realized that the fans had nothing to do with the problem and that it was only the GPU that was full of crap. I'm getting sufficient power since I have an iCAN 600W PSU that should be more than enough even for two GPUs. So in conclusion, I am wondering if I can still get a RMA done even though I changed the thermal paste. The thing is that the way it was applied by Sapphire was using a perfectly rectangular applicator that had a shape a lot bigger than the actual TIM. So when I applied it I only obviously put the thermal paste on the TIM itself. If they open the GPU it's obviously going to be noticeable. I had previously already filled out the RMA form regarding a different problem. What I thought was that my GPU was rattling when at a fan speed of around 65%-80% but I think the problem was actually that one of those PCI-e metal slot cap things that block empty PCI-e slots from being open from the back of the PC case ( lol sorry I forgot the actual term,) was actually touching the metal around the cap that was on the input interface metal cap thingy of the GPU itself. This caused some sort of resonance that created the rattling noise at certain fan speeds. I think I fixed this problem myself but the temperatures are still killing me.

Sorry it is a long post but I gave up and really need to know if I can replace this faulty card. Thank you!

Solution
Everything looks pretty much normal in those pictures. The only thing I can think of that might help a little would be to turn the side intake into an exhaust. It may or may not help, hard to say.

Otherwise your temps are fine. Maybe a little warm compared to others with the same card, but certainly not in any sort of danger zone. If you were 10C hotter I might be more worried. My GPUs regularily hit mid 70s as well.

Akhilcool

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

Yes that's what I meant. That through the process of taking off the heatsink and fan and applying the new TIM and then replacing the heatsink and fan may have damaged the card causing the noise. But that wasn't the case and I would explain it to them.

Akhilcool

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

lol I know thanks for your help :) Also, when I play games using V-Sync my fps drops like crazy. Do you know why?

You are getting some bad info here. The GPU is not smaller on a 5670 due to it being a lower end card. I believe they use the same size die altho i could be wrong, not only that, if it is different the 6870 would be smaller, it is newer. Just cause someone else gets better temps on the same card doesnt mean anything. You have no idea what conditions they are getting these readings under. Sometimes just cause it has a larger cooler doesnt mean its better. Your cooling solution throws heat back into the case, not out of the back, could be why you have higher temps. If you are using this as an excuse to return the card cause you f'ed it up, well thats entirely another situation. They wont RMA it cause your temps are normal. Sorry.

Kari

Splendid
the buzzing might be coil whine, which in itself isn't harmfull or lethal, annoying yes... some manufs accept rmas because of it while others dont. mine asus 5770 has been doing it in some games for 2 years now, typically in menus when the fps is really high like in the thousands, forcing vsync has eliminated it completely (when it works)...

Akhilcool

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

Yeah I figured but I'm currently not wishing to RMA it for those reasons, I want to RMA it because it is making a buzzing noise when the fan is boosted to 100% from 30%. That has been occurring since I bought the card.

cmcghee358

Distinguished

It's probably because the card is syncing it's frames to your monitor's refresh rate?

That is the purpose of Vsync...

Kari

Splendid

quick google
The Radeon 5670's die measures just 104 square millimeters.
Specifications: AMD Radeon HD 6870. Interface, PCI-E 2.1 16x. Fabrication Process, 40 nm. Transistor Count, 1700 million. Die Size, 255 mm2
so quite a lot of difference in size...

Kari

Splendid

oh the buzzing is caused by the fan, so it's not coil whine that I was talking about ^^

Akhilcool

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

Yeah however my problem is not related to the games I play unless I play a game that immediately requires the fan to go to around 80-100% . I noticed it when I manually cranked the fan up to 100% from its idle speed of 30%. It made a very brief 2 second noise that sounded like a buzz.

Akhilcool

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

LOL you seem to misunderstand my replies a lot :na: What I mean is that when I turn on V-Sync the average fps I have is much, much lower than normal. For example if I'm playing a game and the fps ranges from 35-70 fps, I turn on V-Sync so I don't get screen tearing from the excessive fps ( my monitor is 60hz) What I expect is that the max now becomes 60 fps and the minimum is around the same, yet instead the range of fps becomes 15-45 fps .

Akhilcool

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

Yes I created my own fan profile that became very noisy. So I put it back on automatic. The thing is even if I run my fan constantly at 100% instead of auto, I only get about 4*C of a difference in temps when under full load so I figured I'd leave it at auto as the temp changes aren't dramatic (auto at peak temp runs fan at 60% which means a temp change of 4*C is miniscule compared to the difference in fan speeds) and it runs way quieter. :)

cmcghee358

Distinguished
If you are only getting a 4C difference from 30% to 100% you have a temperature problem with your computer case, not the fan.

If you can notice an audible increase from 30-100% that proves the fan is moving more air, but if the air is hot in the case, the added flow across the GPU won't significantly lower the temperature.

So either your case has poor airflow, or more likely, your case has incorrect airflow(not optimized)

Akhilcool

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
I just played The Witcher 2 for 15 min using an amped profile and yet I still got temps of 75*C. They are very much on the high side so I hope my case pics help in determining if cooling set up is good and what-not.

Akhilcool

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

Well I was asked to put an open case photo and if you read my past 5 comments than you might get the fact that it isn't normal for my GPU to only decrease in temps by 4*C when the fan is goes to 100% from 30%.

It is normal for any GPU under intense load to hit 70-75c. Whether it only goes up 4c or not, its still not getting hot enough to cause issues. You are trying to solve a problem that is not fixable, unless you move to another cooling solution. But it may be just as fun for you to come to a forum and try and fix a phantom issue rather than enjoying the system you just built :) Just my opinion.

Akhilcool

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
If there is a problem with my PC configuration that I've shown in 4 pictures, than by fixing it I might be able to maximize my cooling a bit more. BTW I am running on STOCK clock settings so it even makes it impossible to overclock at all. Not that all cards are meant to be overclocked, but I think there may be something wrong.

There is no gaurantee ANYWHERE that you will get better speeds or performances by OCing. The 6870 is basically a glorified 5830, it is a decent mid range card, nothing more, nothing less. Just cause others have achieved some results, doesnt mean you will, not being an ass, but you are wasting your time trying to track down a problem that doesnt exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.