i'm dumb, your not, share the wealth =D

Jerums

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2001
Ok, i have all the components for my system. The only question i have about putting everything together is how to apply thermal paste...does it go on the HSF, or the CPU? what's the best way to do it, and how much should be used?

Ok, now my computer is assembled(hypothetically). I install win2k(is xp worth the upgrade?) and now i have to ???

do i install the 4in1 drivers? if so do they have to be from ECS(i have the k7s5a)or do i get general ones? now i install my geforce3? essentially i'm just asking the order in doing stuff, i don't want to waste tons of time doing it wrong.

thanks a lot, really.
Jerums

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The heatsink.

Apply a tiny dab to the core and flatten it out with a credit card so it is a thin even spread. Then take the heatsink and apply some to it and spread it out several times. (Like doing drywall mud if you know what that is) smooth the paste into the heatsink to fill any crevices in the finish, then scrape MOST of it off leaving an ultra then amount. Then mount the heatsink onto the cpu, dont move it around too much and be very careful.

XP is deffinatly worth the upgrade, I run it and its GREAT.

If you install xp you do not need to install 4 in 1 drivers yet, there may be 4 in 1's in the future but thats in the future. I am not sure but your mobo sounds like the sis735 chipset, if so you do NOT NEED THE 4 IN 1'S. The 4 in 1's are ONLY for via southbridges, if you dont have one, you dont need the 4 in 1's. If you do have a via chipset you always want the latest 4 in 1's from www.via.com.tw .

That is essentially all you will need, good luck and be careful.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Apply it to the cpu core not the heatsink. a very thin film ass mentioned, theres a good guide <A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com" target="_new">on here</A>

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
a very thin film ass mentioned

A very thin film ass?? EWWWW gross, put your pants on!

:This moment of insanity was brouoght to you by sleep deprivation, 4 out of 5 gamers reccomend sleep deprivation. Sleep deprivation, ask for it by name.:

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
lol.... u twit

personally i prefer Jolt Cola in quantities exceeding the RDI ;)

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
bah, the sugar substitute for coffee is pure caffein, mix it with a little water and VOILA instant insanity.

<font color=red>umtqyvutkhgjvqffpcvpgrgtfocpgnnchvtcwqjvgepgjyoqthgtqhgtgjvtgdogogt....74pqkvcngxgt</font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
what? not pure cafeennee pills?

and why dont we see u so much grizley? our lives are hollow and insubstantial without your banter :)

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.