• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question I'm experiencing Graphical freezing in multiple games. - Looking for someone to interpret my troubleshooting.

Jun 9, 2020
Hi everyone,
I haven't had any luck posting in other places. I just built a new PC last week and I'm experiencing a weird graphical glitch when playing certain games. I have scoured the internet for answers, but any issue that seems remotely similar to this one is from multiple years ago with no real solution. I'd appreciate any input - after all the effort I've put in, I've reached a point where I'm far over my head in terms of the knowledge required to troubleshoot this issue.

Computer Type: Desktop, Custom built
GPU: RTX 2070 SUPER, 8GB of VRAM, no overclock
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: Gigabyte x570 Gaming X, BIOS version 12e
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3600, CL16, XMP enabled
PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System & Version: Windows 10 build 19041.264 - 64bit - Clean Install
GPU Drivers: 446.14 (I have tried many different versions).

Description of Problem:
When playing certain videogames on my newly built PC, the graphics of the game will freeze while the rest of the game continues to run. I can confirm this by moving my mouse around and pressing different buttons, the sound continues to respond to what I do and whatever background sound / music continues to play.
What I have found is that as soon as this graphical anomaly occurs, my GPU usage (observed in the task manager) drops to 0% until I Alt-tab at which point it resumes work under minimal load. I observe no other anomalies in my system performance when this takes place. All of the temperatures in my system are more than acceptible based on the readings from both the task manager as well as the NZXT cam software. Here is a video of the event in action:

View: https://youtu.be/B3G2XVASIUU?t=183

This does not happen with every game - but it has happened with multiple games.

Troubleshooting:
I have attempted the following:
  1. Reinstalling the affected games, as well as reinstalling them on different drives.
  2. Reinstalling NVIDIA drivers, rolling back NVIDIA drivers, and performing a clean install of the latest stable NVIDIA drivers using DDU.
  3. I have tweaked with every graphical option that similar have caused similar issues (V-sync on/off, Windowed vs Fullscreen, Framerate limits.
  4. I have Run a memory diagnostic using memtest, as well as the windows memory diagnostic tool. I went through 7 cycles with no errors.
  5. I have referred to the Reliability history on my PC - I have found the following errors related to these graphical glitches
    1. Exception code: c0000005 (From each time the games graphics freeze)
    2. A Hardware error that occured only one time (Despite me experiencing many many instances of freezing) Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent - Code:141 - Parameter 1: ffff9a0bb7d70460 - Parameter 2:fffff80384972610 - Parameter 3:0 - Parameter 4: 1960
  6. After identifying the exception code I used the Debug Diagnostic Tool to get a dumpfile which gave me the following explanation:
The module C:\Games\steamapps\common\Ori and the Will of the Wisps\UnityPlayer.dll has caused an access violation exception (0xC0000005) when trying to write to memory location 0x1bdf8550 on thread 0

The full reports are available here

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CsuBy5FyN_OpIliBvQr16s6-e9T9BVrk?usp=sharing

Under the event viewer I have noted the following Errors(!) after the graphics freeze:

Log Name: System
Source: nvlddmkm
Date: 2020-06-09 3:27:43 PM
Event ID: 13
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP-N9B8USS
Description:
The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
The following information was included with the event:
\Device\Video9
Graphics SM Warp Exception on (GPC 0, TPC 1, SM 1): Illegal Instruction Encoding
The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

og Name: System
Source: nvlddmkm
Date: 2020-06-09 3:27:43 PM
Event ID: 13
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP-N9B8USS
Description:
The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
The following information was included with the event:
\Device\Video9
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x504fb0=0xf0009 0x504fb4=0x0 0x504fa8=0x7c12b72 0x504fac=0x174
The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

As you can see, I have done a TON of troubleshooting. I am ready to RMA any component that I can confirm might be causing this issue, including my GPU. However I don't know enough about this level of troubleshooting to understand where to go from here. If you've read through all of this, thank you for sticking around. You're all the best.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS