[SOLVED] I'm frustrated - New PC and lots of issues, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2020
Hey, I'll write what happened chronologically, hoping to describe the problem in a succinct manner.

1. I bought a NEW computer from a local (good reputation) shop. They built the PC based on my specs. This is my PC specs:
  • MB: Asus TUF Gaming Z490-Plus
  • RAM: Corsair DDR 4 32G (16Gx2) 3200 CL16 Vengeance LPX
  • CPU: Intel Core I5 10600KF
  • SSD: ADATA XPG SPECTRIX S40G RGB M.2 2280 1TB
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC
  • PSU: ANTEC 750W High Current Gamer Gold
  • CPU cooler: Arctic Freezer 34
2. I have installed Windows 10 Pro from an image I downloaded from the Microsoft website (from a USB stick)

3. Installation worked well. Installed Steam to try out the performance, (played Assassins Creed) only to receive blue screens and restarts.

4. Wen't into BIOS, saw that it has XMP on, turned it off, didn't receive blue screens anymore and game worked fine while I played. Other Windows functionality worked well.

5. Computer was idle, when I got back it got restarted to BIOS, bootable device not detected.

6. Disconnected from power, waited a bit, reconnected, windows was detected and everything was "ok".

7. After some time, again, computer is idle, restarted itself with same issue again (no bootable device). This time disconnecting from power didn't help. Turned ON XMP and then detected windows, everything worked for a few hours.

8. Then again - computer idle -> went into blank blue screen. Tried resetting the computer, windows didn't start, restarted automatically. That happened for a few times, only for the windows system recovery to kick in. "Resetting this pc" failed ("There was a problem resetting your PC. nNo changes were made"). Trying automatic repair failed ("Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC"). Basically everything else I tried in the "windows fix screen" (the blue one with these option, I don't know it's name) didn't work.

9. Tried changing bios again right now, only to go back to the "no bootable device" issue.

I'm pretty frustrated. Might it be some hardware device that isn't working? What can my next steps be?

Help much appreciated!
Thanks

Dec 15, 2020
There were a few more symptoms I thought might possibly help to investigate the issue:

1. One time after a cold boot Chrome didn't work and I had to reinstall it (no add-ons, new computer, this theoretically shouldn't happen)
  2. Another game (Divinity Original Sin 2), a couple of times after a cold boot didn't work (crash on startup), and I had to "Verify files integrity" via Steam which found issues in both times, afterwards the game worked.

I don't know if these are related, but the fact that it's a new computer, no bloatware, almost no other software installed, and these many issues, makes me think that it is related.

Dec 15, 2020
Seems like issue with SSD and sleep mode.
Disable disk drives going into sleep. Disable sleep mode.

Thank you very much for the response!

I'm reinstalling Windows, and I'll disable sleep mode. I saw some mentions of that issue but I saw that it's not verified. Can you please elaborate?

I've managed to get hold of the shop and they suggested having two partitions on my SSD when I install Windows, one for Windows and one for the rest (esp. games). Do you think that might help as well? They mentioned it might be related to the cache of the SSD.

Also, once I install, do you recommend running memtest86?

Dec 15, 2020
The system came overclocked (if "XMP Enabled" means overclocked), but it also happened when I disabled it. In the bios the CPU temperature is low (29 degrees), but I didn't get a chance to stress test it and see the temperatures.

Update on current status:
I have reinstalled Windows. Did 2 different things this time:
  1. Disabled sleep mode
  2. Created a separate partition for Windows

However, when I tried to install Windows updates, the cumulative update failed with error 0x80070017 (showed 100% installing and then failing).
Read online and saw it might be related to data corruption.
  • I tried doing the routine of stopping the update service, renaming a couple of folders and restarting it, and it didn't help.
  • I ran a surface test on the drive and saw that there were 13 bad sectors.
  • Then I tried to run chkdsk /f C: which worked only if I chose to run it after a restart. It started running on a restart only getting stuck at "100% complete". I stopped the computer, turned it back on again only to get back to the bios with no bootable drive all over again.

Dec 15, 2020
Use Adata XPG SSD Toolbox to diagnose your SSD.

https://www.xpg.com/en/feature/610/#Download

Again, to get Windows to run again (after no bootable drive detected), I had to turn on XMP.

I tried running the toolboox diagnostics. I ran a full diagnostic scan on my drive which was marked successful, but it took only less than 10 seconds to complete which is very weird to me.

UjLROJA.png

Also updating that Windows cumulative update still fails on 0x80070017.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020
Update:

I have ran sfc /scannow only for it to show there are issues (which I suspected due to the 0x80070017 error). Output was:
Code:
Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

The system file repair changes will take effect after the next reboot.

This is the log of the scan: https://gofile.io/d/t5kv1o

Hope this helps

Dec 15, 2020
Updating for future folks who experience similar problems:

The store I bought the PC from replaced my SSD and so far (1.5 weeks) there are no issues. It looks like it was the SSD after all (probably, at least I hope there will be no issues further on), which was one of the suspects here on the thread.
Appreciate the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.