Question I'm furious... How do I PERMANENTLY disable Windows Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Okay. Windows Update has officially got on my last nerves. How do I PERMANENTLY disable this garbage?

I'm playing a game and it's windy out so okay power outage. PC comes back. WINDOWS tries to update when I turn my PC on.

Windows Update BRICKS my PC and I CAN'T start Windows. Luckily, I had a system restore available which is how I can type this now.

How can I PERMANENTLY disable Windows Update? I'm tired of it. My whole PC getting bricked because of an update.

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
UPS so you can shut down properly when power goes out. Also schedule update to occur during off (for you) hours or pause updates for a week and do them manually. Then no more cool update restart surprises at the worst time.

Okay. Windows Update has officially got on my last nerves. How do I PERMANENTLY disable this garbage?

I'm playing a game and it's windy out so okay power outage. PC comes back. WINDOWS tries to update when I turn my PC on.

Windows Update BRICKS my PC and I CAN'T start Windows. Luckily, I had a system restore available which is how I can type this now.

How can I PERMANENTLY disable Windows Update? I'm tired of it. My whole PC getting bricked because of an update.
If you have the pro version of windows I think you can stop updates.

As has been mentioned it might be best to figure out what is wrong with your pc that is causing this problem.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
D

Deleted member 14196

And I’m sure this person will be back soon, saying what’s wrong with my computer! You’re going down the wrong path

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
How about actually updating the pc before you want to play so that the updates are done? Also a UPS would be good in that situation.

that is exactly what I'm doing. And I would advice the OP to do the same.

I make sure everything is updated in Windows Update. So I can game freely.
the moment I see an orange dot.. well, I let it restart. Only takes 5 minutes or so.. and then it's back to gaming again. Not a big deal really.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohio_buckeye

ubuysa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
It's not Windows Update fouling up your PC. If it were then millions of us would have similar problems. Having a power outage most certainly can foul up a PC, and if you don't use a surge protector it can foul it up permanently.

This is a classic case of treating the symptom and not the problem. Windows Update running on boot is a symptom, but the problem is the power outage.

Get a UPS as advised (repeatedly).

Status
Not open for further replies.