I'm getting 16GBs of RAM

xanderlane

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
I have 4 GBs on my laptop and I hate it. I have to play TF2 (a very low demanding game) at its lowest resolution so that it doesn't lag as much as it would otherwise. I always have a select few programs running on my computer and that really puts 4GB to the test. And sometimes I record my TF2 sessions and at that point my frame rate goes down to like 10 fps at its best. I feel like if I upgraded to 8GB I would still run into slowdown when exporting videos from my editor or uploading an HD video to YouTube.
So for that reason I would get 12 GBs so my computer could maintain solid performance when running 10 demanding applications and still have a nice cushion. But the thing is I don't think in 5 years that even 12 would be enough for a performance computer. That is why I'm deciding to go against what all the experts say and get 16GBs of RAM. This way I could run all the applications I want at once, have a nice cushion, and keep it that way for a few more years.

I just wanted to state my opinion and encourage others to do the same. I don't understand people who say 8GBs is enough. It's not 2010 anymore.

Shockeray

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
Dude, get a PC so that you can get a better video card. If you have a decent GPU, 8Gb of RAM is plenty for recording gaming. Games hardly use any RAM, and if you are just wanting them to load faster, use a SSD. For gaming there is no reason for more than 8Gb.

There are some reasons to get 16Gb though, I am getting 16Gb because I'm going to be doing graphic and 3D model design and would like a buffer so that I don't hit 100%.