Im getting a new cpu as well as a new motherboard...help!

kingneptune117

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
ok guys for the holiday im getting this combo deal from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.294415

I watched a video on installing a motherboard...but dont know how to take my current one out (as well as my current processor out).

Is it easy to take all of it out of my computer? Is there a certain order I should take it all out in?

Also, just curious, how does the hard drive send its information over to the processor and motherboard? Is there a cable?

jennyh

Splendid
I saw that deal earlier, it's really nice.

Your current mobo will have screws attaching it to the case. Look along the edges and in the middle of the mobo.

As this is your first time clearly, take your time and write notes on what you have taken out. Probably the hardest part of it is the little power/reset/hard drive LED's but your new mobo booklet will explain it with diagrams.

The hard drive connects to the side of the mobo using a SATA cable, probably a red cable with two small black connectors - one for the mobo and one for the hard drive.

jennyh

Splendid
I should say - it's not *easy* but it's not difficult either. You just need to follow the instructions in the mobo manual and that's pretty much it.

Btw - your current hard drive is probably IDE, not SATA. That will be a wide cable (probably grey coloured) with a red line going down one side.

Your new mobo will have that option still I assume, but newer hard drives are SATA.

loneninja

Distinguished
If your planning on putting the new motherboard into your current Acer that you mentioned on your other thread, it most likely uses a micro ATX form factor. The motherboard in the combo you have linked is an ATX motherboard, which means it is physically too large for your Acers case. You'll want to get a micro ATX motherboard, the below link is a combo deal with the same processor and micro ATX version of the board you were looking at. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.288967

I'm also not sure what operating system your using, but it'll also be highly recommended you reformat and do a fresh install of windows so prevent any driver conflicts with the new motherboard.

As to your questions about removing a motherboard, it is rather simple, you just need to unplug everything from it than unscrew it from the case and it'll lift right out. You won't need to remove the processor from the board to take the board out either. Than you'll be putting the new board in and plugging most everything up the same way, a few things will vary but the motherboard should include a detailed guide for installation and where to plug different wires. I think either the motherboard manual or a manual that comes with the cpu will also explain to you how to place the cpu and heatsink onto the motherboard as well.