Question I'm getting a new mobo, do i need to fresh install the OS or do anything ?

Jul 11, 2023
Going from an EATX z690 to a ATX z790 cause of fitment issues and i am not using the eatx features. I am on W10 do I need to fresh install a new os with new drivers for chipset? I dont know how to remove old motherboard drivers so I can install the new ones. Please help with any advice.

Jul 11, 2023
Do a clean install of windows, afterwards download and install drivers from the motherboard website.
Surest way to avoid trouble with old files/drivers.
Dang :( was hoping to avoid this but i will do it since my os is on a boot ssd and my games is on another so i wont have to download too much.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Dang :( was hoping to avoid this but i will do it since my os is on a boot ssd and my games is on another so i wont have to download too much.
Aw come on :D You even have it on easy mode with separate disks. Think of the poor souls who have to burn everything and start fresh with every install.

You're changing the motherboard, and that's a huge change for the system/OS. It really needs a clean install.

Reactions: vortex01

USAFRet

Titan
Have your other drive(s) physically disconnected during the OS install.

Reactions: 35below0
Going from an EATX z690 to a ATX z790 cause of fitment issues and i am not using the eatx features. I am on W10 do I need to fresh install a new os with new drivers for chipset? I dont know how to remove old motherboard drivers so I can install the new ones. Please help with any advice.

One thing you can do is make sure windows 10 licence is locked into your email this makes it easier to upgrade as your windows licence will be tied to your email. It should still boot into windows you may get driver conflicts but next step is after motherboard upgrade is to simply go into windows 10 system settings and accept windows 11 upgrade. And choose option of do not keep files.

If tried this method and it works better.

If you have games on your main harddrive or steam on your main drive I recommend shifting the whole install of steam files to a different folder if your unsure how to do this drop a pm

If you don't want to lose your data that gets stored on the OS, make sure to back up the following folders:
  • C:\Users\[username]\Documents
  • C:\Users\[username]\Downloads (if you have anything you want to keep)
  • C:\Users\[username]\Pictures
  • C:\Users\[username]\Videos
Also comb through:
  • C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local
  • C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming
You don't need to copy everything out of those, but if something looks familiar, you should probably make a copy.

After you reinstall Windows, you can copy the files right back where you found them. But do that first before reinstalling your apps.

USAFRet

Titan
And for the above regarding 'backing up data', do NOT copy that actual Folder/Library. Docs/Pics/Vids....
Copy just the data within.

Why?
Those libraries are tied to the user account. Moving those Libs to a new OS will encounter permissions issues.
The files with those Libs do not have that restriction.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
And for the above regarding 'backing up data', do NOT copy that actual Folder/Library. Docs/Pics/Vids....
Copy just the data within.

Why?
Those libraries are tied to the user account. Moving those Libs to a new OS will encounter permissions issues.
The files with those Libs do not have that restriction.
I did a test of copying the folder in the User account directly to another drive, logging in as the other user account and was able to access it. I believe in Windows, permissions for the destination inherits the parent folder's permissions; it does not keep the permissions the source folder has.

USAFRet

Titan
I did a test of copying the folder in the User account directly to another drive, logging in as the other user account and was able to access it. I believe in Windows, permissions for the destination inherits the parent folder's permissions; it does not keep the permissions the source folder has.
Which folder, and what type User account?

The permissions on the Doc/Pic/Vid/Download folders are linked to a user. This is specifically why you can have multiple Users on a single PC, and each cannot see the Libs of the others.

Going to a new OS install, it is also a different NTFS user.

Which folder, and what type User account?
The folders in C:\User\[username]\

And account type doesn't really matter, if the user account doesn't have permissions, Windows will tell you that. It only matters when you want to tell Windows to change the permissions of a folder the user account doesn't own.

The permissions on the Doc/Pic/Vid/Download folders are linked to a user. This is specifically why you can have multiple Users on a single PC, and each cannot see the Libs of the others.
Yes, but that only applies to the stuff in the actual user folder.

You can do this yourself:
  • Copy a folder from inside your user folder to somewhere else that everyone generally has permission to access
  • Go to where you copied the folder

Which also means "It may fail completely..."
It may but from my experience this is rare with windows 10 and 11.

Doesn't work with 7 or 8. Driver keys tied to motherboard

I've done this method over 6 times and it's worked fine. As long as it's been windows 10-11 this doesn't work if for example you go from amd to intel

Example I've done this moving from a b450 AMD board to b550 motherboard as like I said by doing a complete refresh of the os without saving any files didn't cause me any issues.

I still recommending backing up any important data.

USAFRet

Titan
It may but from my experience this is rare with windows 10 and 11.

Doesn't work with 7 or 8. Driver keys tied to motherboard

I've done this method over 6 times and it's worked fine. As long as it's been windows 10-11 this doesn't work if for example you go from amd to intel

Example I've done this moving from a b450 AMD board to b550 motherboard as like I said by doing a complete refresh of the os without saving any files didn't cause me any issues.
I've had it work, I've had it fail.
I've had it work, sort of.

Plan for a full reinstall.
It you don't need it, great.

But if it IS needed, the user is prepared.