Question I'm getting alot of data loss on my ssd

Mar 10, 2019
My pc is about 3 months old. i build it myself, specs include...

CPU: amd ryzen 7 2700x, overclocked to 4.1ghz (water cooled with a 240mm rad)

GPU: amd radeon rx 580

RAM: 16gb of ddr4 g.skill trident z RGB

MOBO: MSI performance gaming amd x470.

ive only used about 60gb of data but my ssd says ive used about 100gb. i stream daily and i make youtube videos but i save all my cash files and video files to my hard drive not my ssd, so i shouldnt be losing any data to my videos. i dont do anything iffy i dont crack programs none of that. i just game and watch netflix. i really dont get how ive lost 40gigs.....someone please help

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Temp files, Windows/app/driver updates, adding new programs and features all take up storage space. This is normal usage.

Have you tried cleaning any of these out? There are tools like CCleaner that can help. There is also Windows' very own Disk Cleanup (just type it into your Search area next to your Windows start menu icon).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026616/windows-10-disk-cleanup

USAFRet

Titan
You've not "lost" 40GB.
Even though you may be saving things to the HDD, some stuff is written to the C drive anyway.

Your system is 3 months old. You've personally written 60GB to it.
Your use of it has also written a bunch of data.

100GB in 3 months is only 400GB per year, at that sustained rate.
Given a typical midsize SSD has a warranty lifespan of 75TBW....you won't reach that for almost 20 years at this rate.

USAFRet

Titan
Okay that all makes sense, thank you guys for all the help. i was just really worried i was gunna run outa space.
Are you referring to consumed space, or to TBW?
Different things.

If you're talking about actual consumed space, you seeing 60GB, and the drive telling you 100GB means you're simply not seeing everything on that drive.

Install either WinDirStat or WizTree
Run as Administrator, selecting only the drive in question.

Post a screencap here.

Reactions: JakeyPoo