Question I'm getting an impossible BSOD...

Oct 2, 2022
Hey Guys,

I have been dealing with this issue for over a week and it is driving me nuts. I recently received the 7950x and so I upgraded my rig. This was a mistake...

Right off the bat I was getting (many different types of) BSOD just a few minutes after booting. After struggling for a few days I went back to Microcenter and exchanged my 7950x and ASUS Extreme MB for new ones. After installing those the BSOD still persisted. So I upped my game.

I went back to Microcenter and bought new (and a different brand) of RAM. I also took out my Sabrent 4 TB M.2 and put in a Samsung 2TB M.2 and installed a fresh version of Windows.

And I still get a BSOD... Just to be clear I have now replaced every single component in my computer. The motherboard. The RAM. The CPU. The Hard Drive. The only things not replaced are my GPU and power supply (I have a 3090 Ti and a EVGA 1300 W power supply).

I did a Windows Memory Test (which I know doesn't catch everything) as well as memtest86 and CPU testing with prime93. No errors.

Microcenter was also kind enough to let my try out a different brand of motherboard... guess what... same BSOD... with all new components...

How is it possible for me to replace all of my components, and still be getting BSODs....? On a new install of Windows?

This has to be like a driver issue or (even scarier) an architecture problem with x670? Maybe? Right? Someone tell me I'm crazy. Maybe the latest GPU drivers don't work with like the 7000 series or something? How would I even be able to tell that? Most of the memory dumps show IRQL or KERNAL SECURITY errors.

I'm this close to giving up and going back to Intel. Anyone got any direction for me?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

installed a fresh version of Windows.
Where did you source the installer for your OS? Windows 10 or 11? You're advised to manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, after sourcing said drivers from manufacturer's support site.

EVGA 1300 W power supply.
How old is the PSU in your build?

Can you please parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Which slots are you populating the stick(s) of ram?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Oct 2, 2022
Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Windows 11 (22H2) using the Creation Media Installer from the Microsoft website

How old is the PSU in your build?

Several years old, but it was working just fine before the upgrade on a x570 board. I'm happy to try a replacement and see if that changes anything. I have a spare 1300 W that has never been used.

CPU: AMD 7950x
Motherboard: ASUS x670e Extreme
Ram: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 sticks (x2 or x4)
SSD/HDD: Sabrent Rocket Plus PCIe4 M.2 (4 TB), Sabrent Rocket Plus PCIe4 M.2 (8 TB), Samsung 960 Pro PCIe4 M.2 (2 TB)
GPU: 3090 Ti (Founders Edition)
PSU: EGVA 1300 W
Chassis: ??
Monitor: Dell AW3423DW, Samsung G9 Neo, LG 4k (x2)

Which slots are you populating the stick(s) of ram?

The two slots that are recommended by the manual

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes

I will re-run the mem test per RAM stick (may take a while). I have also turned on Minidump and will post as soon as I crash again.

Thanks guys for the help. I really appreciate it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Conversion of dumps

report - Click run as fiddle to see report

File: 100322-30281-01.dmp (Oct 3 2022 - 16:34:05)
BugCheck: [IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)]
Probably caused by: ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 30 Min(s), and 44 Sec(s)

File: 100322-30015-01.dmp (Oct 3 2022 - 17:02:19)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)]
Probably caused by: ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 31 Sec(s)

File: 100222-30546-01.dmp (Oct 3 2022 - 13:53:27)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 59 Sec(s)

File: 100222-30421-01.dmp (Oct 3 2022 - 14:01:07)
BugCheck: [KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)]
Probably caused by: ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: msedgewebview2.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 24 Sec(s)

File: 100222-29937-01.dmp (Oct 3 2022 - 11:43:57)
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 35 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)

thats interesting, there aren't any X670 drivers on the AMD site yet. So I can't offer newer direct from them.
Which Ethernet connection are you using?
Oct 22 2021aqnic650.sysAquantia AQtion Network Adapter (NDIS 6.50 Miniport) driver
is newer than whats on Asus site, I wonder where it came from
Asus only have a driver from 2020 for that.
I assume you use that and not Intel, board has both.
All errors occurred after CPU looked at ram.

So checking ram would be where I start.

Asus only checked 2 x 32gb Corsair ram sets, one was
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...-RGB-DDR5-Memory---Black/p/CMT64GX5M2X5600C40

yours is https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ANCE-DDR5-Memory---Black/p/CMK64GX5M2B5600C40

Corsair haven't checked any of their ram with the system. It could be a ram compatibility problem. Normally if I can find the ram on Corsair matched to CPU and MB, thats enough... but they haven't caught up yet.

IZECDQj.jpg

So could be you need to get Ram on Asus https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/r...hair-x670e-extreme-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/ before it will work fine.

Oct 2, 2022
Which Ethernet connection are you using?

I am using the AQtion as the internet line I'm on is 5 Gb/s. Do you think I should switch to the Intel 2.5 Gb/s port?

All errors occurred after CPU looked at ram.

Interesting. Just curious, where in the minidump can you tell this?

Asus only checked 2 x 32gb Corsair ram sets

The RAM I'm using is listed under QVL on the ASUS website for this motherboard (At least I think so, mine is CMK instead of CMT - pretty sure the only difference is the RGB). I hear you when you say Corsair has not yet listed it on their own site.

uiyiPqi.png

I have indeed tried using other RAM (Trident) and still gotten BSOD. Are you thinking this is most likely a RAM issue then?

I will see if memtest83 shows any errors the second time around. But I'm guessing the RAM is good and this is more of a compatibility issue...?

Thanks for taking a look @Colif

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
You are right, i am blind. its only after looking a 2nd time that I see it.

You might be paying for being early. CPU & MB are only new.

or its a driver

I wonder what these are
May 29 2020CyUcmClient.sysCypress UCM Client driver
Aug 25 2021ITEUcmCxClient.sys
they both relate to USB
2nd is https://treexy.com/products/driver-...logy-express-ite/usb-connector-client-device/

keep giving me dumps if you get any, more info the better. One might show a driver.
doesn't help the only victims and processes mentioned are parts of windows.
crash 4 could be lan drivers but knowing which you use would help

this would possibly update your Intel drivers - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

Oct 2, 2022
You might be paying for being early. CPU & MB are only new.

or its a driver

Yeah but replacing all hardware twice and doing a fresh install of the OS. Surely it's not hardware...? It makes me think it's a default or auto-downloaded driver.

Not sure what those USB drivers are. Can I try disabling them somehow?

I can try and find LAN drivers for you as well. Right now I'm just using the AQtion 10 Gb/s port. It is odd that the driver is newer than what's listed, but not exactly alarming.

this would possibly update your Intel driver

Just did this. The only drivers it had to update were Wifi and Bluetooth ones.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Just did this. The only drivers it had to update were Wifi and Bluetooth ones.
they were all you have.

The platform is new, its only in recent weeks review websites have had articles about it, so its possible there are undiscovered details that only users will discover once its in mass usage. Similar happened with X570 boards last generation.
Its so new Corsair haven't tested their ram with it.

But we see if its a driver.

leave USB drivers as is, I see what I can find out. As since I check dumps, I like to know what the drivers are I am looking at.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What extra softwares/drivers are you installing after you get to the desktop for the first time (after Windows install)?
It's probably a driver package or some base system software that is having issues.

Do you have internet access after your Windows install (and before you install anything else)? If yes, try browsing around, doing things without installing ANYTHING. It may even be drivers that Windows wants to install - don't do it! See if the base Windows without anything extra is stable.

A friend of mine had similar issues. He got an AsRock x670E Steel Legend, a 7900x and was having issues. Enough that he actually took the system to Microcenter. I think he had gotten it all assembled and began to update drivers, realized there was a bios update, and after that got a blinking cursor. He's very good with computers as well. When Ryzen first came out they had some issues with memory compatibility at first. Once they got that worked out it was a very good platform. Sounds like they are having some initial issues possibly as well. Another reason I'm glad I'm staying with my 5900x a bit to let prices come down and let things work out a little.

Oct 2, 2022
Do you have internet access after your Windows install (and before you install anything else)? If yes, try browsing around, doing things without installing ANYTHING. It may even be drivers that Windows wants to install - don't do it! See if the base Windows without anything extra is stable.

I'll try a Windows install without internet and see if it still BSOD.

Any way to validate or check the motherboard for issues? Some more Dumps have been generated but they are all related to system services.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Conversion of dumps

File: 100322-29296-01.dmp (Oct 4 2022 - 06:06:10)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)]
Probably caused by: ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: explorer.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 25 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

File: 100322-29187-01.dmp (Oct 4 2022 - 14:38:06)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)]
Probably caused by: ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: conhost.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 8 Hour(s), 31 Min(s), and 25 Sec(s)

one thing of note, BIOS isn't showing any info so might mean old bios or needs to be reflashed << thats odd though as first dumps showed BIOS version.

the lan drivers on Asus site are newer than what you have installed still.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022
one thing of note, BIOS isn't showing any info so might mean old bios or needs to be reflashed << thats odd though as first dumps showed BIOS version.

That is odd, maybe because I switched from normal dumps to mini dumps?

the lan drivers on Asus site are newer than what you have installed still.

Really? From what I can tell the AQtion one is up-to-date and the Intel one I have is actually newer.

An update for 22H2 was also released today that I will try installing.

EDIT: Also noticed this, although it is probably nothing

ANsDMdu.png

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Conversion of dumps

File: 100522-51921-01.dmp (Oct 6 2022 - 06:01:42)
BugCheck: [VIDEO_TDR_ERROR (116)]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by: nvlddmkm.sys (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 08 Sec(s)

File: 100522-51625-01.dmp (Oct 6 2022 - 05:59:04)
BugCheck: [MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)]
Probably caused by: ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: RadeonSoftware)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 33 Min(s), and 37 Sec(s)

File: 100422-30921-01.dmp (Oct 5 2022 - 11:46:27)
BugCheck: [KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)]
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 53 Min(s), and 57 Sec(s)

Top BSOD blames Nvidia drivers

The nvlddmkm.sys file is a NVIDIA graphics card driver. There are a few things you can do to fix this problem. First off, try a full uninstall using DDU in Safe Mode then re-install the driver (more information). Or try getting the latest version of the driver. Or try one of the 3 most recent drivers released by NVIDIA. Drivers can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/ or you can allow Windows Update to download the driver for you, which might be a older/better version.

second BSOD occurred running Radeon Software, unless you have swapped GPU it shouldn't even be able to install.
I am not sure about BSOD 3.

How do you install Adrenaline on a PC with a Nvidia GPU?

Sep 22 2022nvlddmkm.sysNvidia Graphics Card driver http://www.nvidia.com/
Oct 04 2022amdkmdag.sysAMD Graphics driver
unless you have 2 GPU in the PC, you need to run DDU and remove one of those.

Oct 2, 2022
second BSOD occurred running Radeon Software, unless you have swapped GPU it shouldn't even be able to install.
I am not sure about BSOD 3.

How do you install Adrenaline on a PC with a Nvidia GPU?

It installs because the 7000 series CPUs are really APUs and have an integrated GPU.

I figured I should install it to have the latest GPU drivers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its funny, integrated gpu used to be normal and then they take them out of PC for a few years and I forget how it works.
I don't think they should be running if you using a Nvidia gpu anyway. Do you have any monitors running off the motherboard and not Nvidia card?

swapping drivers for Nvidia card can't hurt.