Question I'm getting an impossible BSOD...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 2, 2022
Hey Guys,

I have been dealing with this issue for over a week and it is driving me nuts. I recently received the 7950x and so I upgraded my rig. This was a mistake...

Right off the bat I was getting (many different types of) BSOD just a few minutes after booting. After struggling for a few days I went back to Microcenter and exchanged my 7950x and ASUS Extreme MB for new ones. After installing those the BSOD still persisted. So I upped my game.

I went back to Microcenter and bought new (and a different brand) of RAM. I also took out my Sabrent 4 TB M.2 and put in a Samsung 2TB M.2 and installed a fresh version of Windows.

And I still get a BSOD... Just to be clear I have now replaced every single component in my computer. The motherboard. The RAM. The CPU. The Hard Drive. The only things not replaced are my GPU and power supply (I have a 3090 Ti and a EVGA 1300 W power supply).

I did a Windows Memory Test (which I know doesn't catch everything) as well as memtest86 and CPU testing with prime93. No errors.

Microcenter was also kind enough to let my try out a different brand of motherboard... guess what... same BSOD... with all new components...

How is it possible for me to replace all of my components, and still be getting BSODs....? On a new install of Windows?

This has to be like a driver issue or (even scarier) an architecture problem with x670? Maybe? Right? Someone tell me I'm crazy. Maybe the latest GPU drivers don't work with like the 7000 series or something? How would I even be able to tell that? Most of the memory dumps show IRQL or KERNAL SECURITY errors.

I'm this close to giving up and going back to Intel. Anyone got any direction for me?

Last edited by a moderator:

jmg339

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015
Just thought that I would add that I'm having a pretty similar issue to yours. I'm also getting a BSOD with different error codes every time I do something demanding on my computer (Watch Youtube at 8k, CPU benchmark, etc...). My temps seem normal for the most part (7950x maxes out at 95C which is normal I guess). I've tried reinstalling windows and recently upgraded my bios to the latest Beta version but I still get the same problems. Let me know if you find a solution.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 9 7950x
CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600
ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI 6E
RTX 3060
Corsair HX1200
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State Hard Drive

jmg339

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015
Yeah, I'm not sure what to even do at this point. I think I'm just going to contact ASUS to let them know about the issue and send them some of the .dmp files to get a better understanding of the issue.

Oct 9, 2022
Good Evening… so first I’m pissed just like I’m sure you guys are, but I think I might of figured out the nvlddmkm.sys. I completed the following steps this morning. Booted into windows updated Bios to 0705 had to clear cmos. Completed a reset all settings and cleaned my drive of 22H2. Once windows booted I did get another BSOD, but after installing the rest of Windows and Drivers from Armory crate, I haven’t had a BSOD or NVIDIA error the rest of the day. I ran 3D Mark, Heaven, and gamed on Valhalla for almost an hour: hopefully this might help you. I’m at the point if it crashes again here within the next two weeks I’m going back to an Intel.

background.

I'm coming from a Z490 MSI Motherboard that I used an EVGA 3080 TI FTW3 without issue. I've been having some random crashing lately since changing over. I verified memory is good via memtest. Ran SFC, uninstalled re-installed the NVIDIA driver and also ran DISM commands, but I'm still having issues since changing to this board. I noticed one thing is it seems like the GPU doesn't "Click" in place. It's up against the glass panel pretty tight. I can verify it does look in place though because I can't remove it without pressing the release. Has anyone else experienced anything GPU wise on this board? Posting below the error I get when some of my games are crashing. I also had it BSOD as well with this bug check 0x00000119. It all seems to be pointing to Drivers, so I may end up completing a clean install of Windows. I'm running 22H2 and upgraded from 21H2.

The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
Error occurred on GPUID: 100

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

My specs:

Processor: 7950X
Motherboard: ASUS X670E HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series AMD EXPO 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000
Hard Drive: Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0 NVMe M.2 Internal Gaming SSD
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 P6, 80 Plus Platinum 1000W
GPU: EVGA 3080 TI FTW3
Cooler: Phanteks (P-GO360MPH_DWT01) Glacier One 360MPH D-RGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

Oct 2, 2022
Yeah, I'm not sure what to even do at this point. I think I'm just going to contact ASUS to let them know about the issue and send them some of the .dmp files to get a better understanding of the issue.

I contacted ASUS over two weeks ago and so far they have been no help.

Good Evening… so first I’m pissed just like I’m sure you guys are, but I think I might of figured out the nvlddmkm.sys. I completed the following steps this morning. Booted into windows updated Bios to 0705 had to clear cmos. Completed a reset all settings and cleaned my drive of 22H2. Once windows booted I did get another BSOD, but after installing the rest of Windows and Drivers from Armory crate, I haven’t had a BSOD or NVIDIA error the rest of the day. I ran 3D Mark, Heaven, and gamed on Valhalla for almost an hour: hopefully this might help you. I’m at the point if it crashes again here within the next two weeks I’m going back to an Intel.

Yeah, I'll try the new BIOS as well. At this point it has to either be the BIOS or a bad driver that is actually a part of the Windows OS. Either way it's pretty ridiculous that they can launch a product that fundamentally doesn't work... I understand it's more complicated than that but if I can replace each part multiple times and get a BSOD on a fresh OS install... yeah your product shouldn't be released yet

jmg339

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015
Still got BSOD. But that was before BIOS version 0705. Not sure if the new version will make a difference on that board.
I have 0705 installed on my ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI 6E and it's still giving me occasional BSOD crashes. Going to RMA the CPU and Motherboard to see if that makes a difference.

Oct 2, 2022
Just an update. I kept ALL my same components and only swapped out the motherboard for a different brand. Went from the ASUS ROG X670E Crosshair to the MSI MEG X670E Godlike. I no longer get any BSODs.

Looks like some motherboard manufacturers just don't have it together...?

You have to remember as well you are on a brand new socket, even new socket type, new ram, and this was all just released in about the last 30 days. Whenever the ryzen 1000 series came out there were a lot of folks who had issues with memory not running correct speeds, compatibility etc. Basically it took a little time before things straightened out. As the platform matures I imagine you’ll find it to be a nice system.

Intel on the other hand, larger company, plus you could argue that since they are still on the same socket as 12th generation, their cpus this go around are a refinement of 12th generation. Sounds like stuff is pretty well sorted out now for you, but as time goes on I think things will start getting better. My am4 rig, I’m running a ryzen 5900x on an old b350 board from about 2017 or 2018. So that helps show once they get things dialed in then things should get better. Unfortunately when you are on the bleeding edge of technology though you pay the early adopter tax by money and time troubleshooting.

codelode

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
I want to add, I have my own thread on here for similar issues to everyone in this thread, constant BSOD with all different hardware replaced except for CPU and motherboard. I'm going to try another mb and CPU next weekend when they arrive to see if that fixes things, I've seen several posts on here and on reddit from people suffering the same issues that replacing CPU/MOBO ended up fixing it. So, if I replace both, maybe I'll be in luck.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Many times it's the cpu, because of the integrated memory controller, buss voltages or other such, all of which can be supplemented in bios. I'd start by adding 0.1v to everything or a positive offset, performance power plans, something.

Used to be amd/Intel would set default voltages way above anything that was necessary, just for stability, then ppl would OC and start dropping voltages to lower temps. Now, amd/Intel has basically killed OC but have squeaked voltages and current use to bare minimums, because the power consumption is forcing them to.

It could simply be that these high grade boards have defaults pushing the cpu to higher performance levels, yet the power limits are still cpu default. Buh bye stability.

TRENDING THREADS