Question im getting an rx 5700 xt and need to know if my 500W power supply will kill my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2019
i5 8400
rx 5700 xt (the card im getting)
b360m motherboard
2x 8gb ddr4 ram
4 fans
a lot of usb devices

All the psu calculators i did told me under 500 is good but amd reccomends 600. I was thinking i might be fine because the rest of my pc is not super high end but i am a little scared of what could happen

Oct 2, 2019
What EXACT PSU make and model PSU is it?
Wattage is irrelevant without quality!
The PSU calculators are lacking credibility at best.
my power supply is in a really difficult spot for me to get to right now and im not sure the make and model. would it be bad for me to just try the new gpu and see if it works or should i do that only after i get a new psu if i need one

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Reactions: digitalgriffin

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
my power supply is in a really difficult spot for me to get to right now and im not sure the make and model. would it be bad for me to just try the new gpu and see if it works or should i do that only after i get a new psu if i need one

If you do it this way, you might not only just need a new PSU but a new GPU as well. You need to get in there and look at it, period.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Oct 2, 2019
alright so it is from channel well technology. its a psu that is pretty much only used in pre builts and there is not a lot of info on it so im just going to get a new one

Channel Well is a huge OEM and makes lots of PSUs for lots of companies.

No. It is actually likely that that EVGA is WORSE than your CWT.

If you have $400 for a graphics card and only $60 for a PSU, then you shouldn't be buying a $400 graphics card.

What model is your CWT power supply?

Thing is: The CWT PSU you have may only have one 6-pin PCIe and that graphics card needs a 6-pin and 8-pin. If that's the case, you should get a new PSU for that reason, but you should also up your PSU budget.

Oct 2, 2019
Channel Well is a huge OEM and makes lots of PSUs for lots of companies.

If you have $400 for a graphics card and only $60 for a PSU, then you shouldn't be buying a $400 graphics card.

What model is your CWT power supply?

Thing is: The CWT PSU you have may only have one 6-pin PCIe and that graphics card needs a 6-pin and 8-pin. If that's the case, you should get a new PSU for that reason, but you should also up your PSU budget.

could you suggest any power supplies to me? would 80 dollars be a decent budget?

Oct 9, 2019
I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean.

Agreed. $80 can get you a good PSU.

I think I know what NightHawkRMX meant.

Think on this:

You suggested in an earlier post that EVGA is an inferior brand to CWT. I wonder why the CWT-made Corsair CX600 (a similar price to the EVGA 600 GD) has a 3-Year warranty, as opposed to the 5-Year warranty available on the EVGA model.

The inference that Corsair don't seem to share your confidence in CWT's quality control undermines your point, a little.

The EVGA PSU also has a Gold rating, vs the Bronze efficiency rating on the Corsair, and is currently $15 cheaper on sale on Amazon, with a retail $5 higher.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Think on this:

You suggested in an earlier post that EVGA is an inferior brand to CWT. I wonder why the CWT-made Corsair CX600 (a similar price to the EVGA 600 GD) has a 3-Year warranty, as opposed to the 5-Year warranty available on the EVGA model.

The inference that Corsair don't seem to share your confidence in CWT's quality control undermines your point, a little.

The EVGA PSU also has a Gold rating, vs the Bronze efficiency rating on the Corsair, and is currently $15 cheaper on sale on Amazon, with a retail $5 higher.
When you talk about inference about quality, I agree when it generally comes to Warranty, but all I am adding is that you're also saying this to Jonnyguru, who is ultimately an industry expert that now also helps design Corsair PSUs and has with Oklahoma Wolf and others, tested countless PSUs. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Eh.

Jon insinuated that most EVGA models were worse than cwt, without knowing the models of either.

Since Jon literally knows many thousand times what i know, i didnt make the comment, but the first thing that came to mind was:

"Of cource you would think most CWT OEMed models would be better than most EVGA models. You work for corsair which uses a lot of cwt based models."

Last edited:

Think on this:

The CX600 is a very old model and i dont think its made anymore. You should not compare it to a 2019 model evga.

A more sensable comparison would be a 2017 model cx650 to the 2019 evga QD 600w.

Eh.

Jon insinuating that most EVGA models were worse than cwt.

I dont know near as much as you so i didnt make the comment, but the first thing that came to mind was:

"Of cource you would think cwt is better than evga even though you dont know model. You work for corsair which uses a lot of cwt based models."

I think you're confused. At the very least you're trolling me and are pretty much insulting me. I'm honest to God insulted.

EVGA is a brand. Like Corsair, they don't make PSUs.

CWT is an OEM.

I don't think I ever said EVGA as a whole was bad. I challenge you to find when and where I said that. Go ahead. I'll be here waiting.

I have said that certain EVGA models are garbage. But the same could be said about many different models from many different brands.

In this thread, I said the W1 is garbage. It is. Find anyone that knows anything about power supplies thats going to disagree with that assessment.

Eh.

Jon insinuated that most EVGA models were worse than cwt, without knowing the models of either.

Don't be an ass. I never said most EVGA models were worse than CWT. You and markrobertsbarter have a serious reading comprehension problem.

Did you not see the OP's link to the EVGA W1?

This is what I said:

I said "that EVGA" In reference to the EVGA W1 the OP linked. I did not say "an EVGA".

Unlike what troll boy above is insinuating, I never said the CX or the OP's CWT is better than an EVGA GD series PSU. OP never even MENTIONED an EVGA GD.

Last edited:
Earlier in this thread:

"No. It is actually likely that that EVGA is WORSE than your CWT."

That was actually what you said. Pretty hard to misconstrue that as a generalisation that EVGA is a worse brand.

Read that sentence again. And put it in context.

I did not say" it's actually likely that an EVGA is worse than your CWT. "

OP linked to a W1 and I said "that that (note two that's) EVGA is WORSE than your CWT. "

Learn to read AND comprehend before posting libel, accusing somebody of bias and lying.

Oct 9, 2019
When you talk about inference about quality, I agree when it generally comes to Warranty, but all I am adding is that you're also saying this to Jonnyguru, who is ultimately an industry expert that now also helps design Corsair PSUs and has with Oklahoma Wolf and others, tested countless PSUs. :)

I was merely pointing out what Corsair were saying to Jonnyguru with their confidence in their products, as demonstrated by their warranty. I make no claims whatsoever. I am highlighting Corsair's confidence in the quality of the product.

Of course, the second inference one could draw is that the shortened warranty is nothing to do with quality and purely profit motive. So, I am quite happy to accept that I am wrong and Corsair are just gouging their customers a little harder than EVGA. ;)

I respect your expertise and i have said so many times. Heck i have even quoted your explanations as i mostly agree.

I misread and thought you said evga in general but it was like awhile ago so i apoologise. I also agree the w1 are bad, but not the worst evga makes unfortunately.

However, saying a particular model of PSU is likely worse than and an entire oem is simply wrong. It also shows bias towards cwt as you dont even know then model but assume its good because its oemed by CWT. This isnwhat i was getting at initially.

The CWT in question could be great, but it may not. CWT oems tons of models of varying quality.

For example, the original VS series is very bad and oemed by CWT.

So some cwt units may be worse than the w1, so you statement of cwt units likely being better then the w1 can be misleading and is simply incorrect for some situations.

I really havent been uncivil. I refrained from making the statement initially due as im.sure there was reason for his comment.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019
Don't be an ass. I never said most EVGA models were worse than CWT. You and markrobertsbarter have a serious reading comprehension problem.

Did you not see the OP's link to the EVGA W1?

This is what I said:

I said "that EVGA" In reference to the EVGA W1 the OP linked. I did not say "an EVGA".

Unlike what troll boy above is insinuating, I never said the CX or the OP's CWT is better than an EVGA GD series PSU. OP never even MENTIONED an EVGA GD.

Do you not see that using the word "likely" is going to get you accused of the partiality by which you are so offended. The obvious implication is that you haven't tested it and have a prejudice that it is "likely" going to be worse, without external evidence.

You are obviously highly respected here and your preconceptions may well be correct, from your many years of experience, but if you don't want your assertions to be challenged then you are in the wrong place.

This is the first time that I have heard of you and my impression is that someone who goes around using phrases like "troll boy", "ass" and "reading comprehension problem" is likely projecting his own faults onto others.

Status
Not open for further replies.