[SOLVED] I'm getting less performance than I should be getting on my HP omen 15 gaming laptop.

AbhinayK

Reputable
Mar 19, 2017
Okay so i have an HP omen 15 (2019) model with i7-9750H and a Rtx 2070 max q with 16 gb ram.

I've been trying to play games recently like The division and Mortal Shell. At the start of the game i get good fps but then it goes down to 20-30 at times.

I am using throttlestop to undervolt my cpu by 125mV in cache and in core, to help with the temps.

Someone on reddit suggested i run a cinebench test which i did and i got 1548 in Multi core and 267 in Single core. What i should be getting is 2400+ and 440+.

I also took a log file of my cpu with throttlestop when i was gaming and as the temperature rose my game's fps dropped. What's weird is that temperature never reached alarming levels of hot.

Log file: https://pastebin.com/dT6veF7g

I need serious help cuz this is my work laptop and i can't afford performance drops like these.

Solution
Yes, it gives off some heat. The systems and cooling on laptops are not that great. But on the Omen, i think they do a pretty good job.

I've only had mine a couple of months. Believe me at the start, I thought what's this 100c while gaming!!?? But most gaming laptops do get that hot.

I've a two pronged approach. An undervolt with TS -146mv- Core/-130.9 cache/-42 intel GPU. This dropped my temps from 95-100 to 80-85. I also have a laptop cooling pad, which is great.

This has my temps down another 5-10c, but very stable temps. Doesn't fluctuate much.
Hey there,

I've the same machine, different spec. Using HP Omen Command Centre. Put in performance mode. Keep your Throttlestop undervolt. Whatever the performance mode in Omen Commnad Centre is, it removes any PL1/PL2 EDT Throttling. The result being all cores will run at max all core speeds (4.0ghz), with no throttling. See what your scores are like then.

AbhinayK

Reputable
Mar 19, 2017
I did that and i got a 2500. Which is actually more than what i should get, but the issue with that is that the temps were at 100 degrees at some point and at 95-97 constantly.

Yes, it gives off some heat. The systems and cooling on laptops are not that great. But on the Omen, i think they do a pretty good job.

I've only had mine a couple of months. Believe me at the start, I thought what's this 100c while gaming!!?? But most gaming laptops do get that hot.

I've a two pronged approach. An undervolt with TS -146mv- Core/-130.9 cache/-42 intel GPU. This dropped my temps from 95-100 to 80-85. I also have a laptop cooling pad, which is great.

This has my temps down another 5-10c, but very stable temps. Doesn't fluctuate much.

Last edited:
Solution

AbhinayK

Reputable
Mar 19, 2017
i see. i will try your steps. My omen is a year old, its the 2019 model and that one had not so great cooling. I also did some clock modulation down to 81% which kept it from throttling but i had to do speed shift to 139.

i see. i will try your steps. My omen is a year old, its the 2019 model and that one had not so great cooling. I also did some clock modulation down to 81% which kept it from throttling but i had to do speed shift to 139.
My one is last years too with the red design on the back. Mine's got i7 9750h and GTX1660ti etc.

Ill send you my set up later on in some screenshots. and you can try the settings out.