I'm getting my mouse pointer in the game!

I took some poster's advice here and went out and bought a GeForce FX 5900
XT. Can you hear my Flashpoint program murmuring "Thank you...thank
you...thank you..". I did some research, and for the buck, the 5900 packs a
pretty good bang.

OFP likes it.

I'm getting a strange little buggy problem, though, using the new card.
Sometimes, not all the time, I'm getting my mouse pointer from my desktop in
the game. It's like it's on top of OFP. Sometimes, when I launch OFP, it
will be there, and sometimes it won't. On OFP menus, when the extra mouse
pointer shows up, I'll see two pointers--the one from my desktop and the one
used in OFP (and they're not so close together either). Then, when I launch
a mission, if that extra pointer is there, it will also be floating around
somewhere around my weapon sight during the mission.

I've closed the game and re-opened it a few times, and if I do this enough
times (sometimes it takes several tries), the extra pointer will go away.

Any idea on what I need to fix to get this fixed?

Thanks,

C.

very very old OFP problem

the solution is very simple

set your desktop to one resolution..... like 800 x 640
set your game to another resolution .... like 1024 x 768

then you will not have this problem.....

just make sure they are not at same resolution....

"Communique" <Communique@NOSPAMev1.net> wrote in message
> I took some poster's advice here and went out and bought a GeForce FX 5900
> XT. Can you hear my Flashpoint program murmuring "Thank you...thank
> you...thank you..". I did some research, and for the buck, the 5900 packs
> pretty good bang.
>
> OFP likes it.
>
> I'm getting a strange little buggy problem, though, using the new card.
> Sometimes, not all the time, I'm getting my mouse pointer from my desktop
in
> the game. It's like it's on top of OFP. Sometimes, when I launch OFP, it
> will be there, and sometimes it won't. On OFP menus, when the extra mouse
> pointer shows up, I'll see two pointers--the one from my desktop and the
one
> used in OFP (and they're not so close together either). Then, when I
launch
> a mission, if that extra pointer is there, it will also be floating around
> somewhere around my weapon sight during the mission.
>
> I've closed the game and re-opened it a few times, and if I do this enough
> times (sometimes it takes several tries), the extra pointer will go away.
>
> Any idea on what I need to fix to get this fixed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> C.

"Communique" <Communique@NOSPAMev1.net> wrote in message
>I took some poster's advice here and went out and bought a GeForce FX
>5900
> XT. Can you hear my Flashpoint program murmuring "Thank you...thank
> you...thank you..". I did some research, and for the buck, the 5900
> packs a
> pretty good bang.
>
> OFP likes it.
>
> I'm getting a strange little buggy problem, though, using the new
> card.
> Sometimes, not all the time, I'm getting my mouse pointer from my
> desktop in
> the game. It's like it's on top of OFP. Sometimes, when I launch
> OFP, it
> will be there, and sometimes it won't. On OFP menus, when the extra
> mouse
> pointer shows up, I'll see two pointers--the one from my desktop and
> the one
> used in OFP (and they're not so close together either). Then, when
> I launch
> a mission, if that extra pointer is there, it will also be floating
> around
> somewhere around my weapon sight during the mission.
>
> I've closed the game and re-opened it a few times, and if I do this
> enough
> times (sometimes it takes several tries), the extra pointer will go
> away.
>
> Any idea on what I need to fix to get this fixed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> C.

Ouch, is it too late to take that old card back? Nvidia have just
bought a new budget version of the 6800. 5900 was never much cop, who
the heck advised that?
If you're stuck with it, and you need to fix this problem, {which I've
had ever since the first demo...} you can.....:
A, Whizz the mouse pointer up into the top left land corner as far as
it will go, and leave it still whilst ofp starts.
B, Keep the mouse still as ofp starts
C, Alt tab out and back in again to clear the windows pointer

Who in their right mind would run their desktop at 800*600?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"James Siegel" <jamess459@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> very very old OFP problem
>
> the solution is very simple
>
> set your desktop to one resolution..... like 800 x 640
> set your game to another resolution .... like 1024 x 768
>

> then you will not have this problem.....
>
> just make sure they are not at same resolution....

Or colour depth. You can have the same resolution - but not the same res AND
colour.

--

Liddle Feesh
*fap fap fap fap*

> the solution is very simple
>
> set your desktop to one resolution..... like 800 x 640
> set your game to another resolution .... like 1024 x 768

Hmm. Strange. I had the resolution set the same on my old GeForce 2 card,
and I didn't get this.

And...I've noticed that if I ALT TAB to the desktop (which doesn't work like
it used to either--it takes a couple of tries, instead of one, to get to the
desk top), then pop back into OFP, it fixes it.

> Ouch, is it too late to take that old card back? Nvidia have just
> bought a new budget version of the 6800. 5900 was never much cop, who
> the heck advised that?

A couple of people here advised it, and I did some research--the 5900
received glowing reviews in several places, and I bought the one
manufactured by BFG, a company that also got glowing reviews.

I got a great deal on it. It was reg. $249.99, but I found it on sale for
$179.99, and I had a cupon, that the store also took, making the grand total
$161.99.

If you think I can get a 6800 for $162, then I've got a 14 day return
period.

I was simply giving an example....

you can run it at whichever you choose

mine is currently at 1600 x 1200 and the little woman hates it.....

"those icons are so small how do you tell what anything is??????"

rofl

Communique wrote:

> I'm getting a strange little buggy problem, though, using the new
> card. Sometimes, not all the time, I'm getting my mouse pointer from
> my desktop in the game. It's like it's on top of OFP.
> Any idea on what I need to fix to get this fixed?

Few ways to sort this.

As others have said you can set the game resolution, colour depth or
even refresh rate different to your desktop.

Or you can alt-tab out and back into the game which sometimes gets rid
of it.

Or what works for some people (and what I do) - as the game launches
(straight after clicking the icon to start it up) put the windows mouse
pointer in the top left corner of the screen.

--
Mutley!! Doooooo Something!!
Fix Outlook Express - http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

> Few ways to sort this.

You know, I never got this problem once on my old card, and I have everthing
set the same as my desktop.

Strange.

Another solution off the Avon Lady's FAQs that worked for me was moving the
mouse pointer around in the top left of the screen as the game starts up.
It's disappears with no faffing around with resolutions.

"Communique" <Communique@NOSPAMev1.net> wrote in message
>I took some poster's advice here and went out and bought a GeForce FX 5900
> XT. Can you hear my Flashpoint program murmuring "Thank you...thank
> you...thank you..". I did some research, and for the buck, the 5900 packs
> pretty good bang.
>
> OFP likes it.
>
> I'm getting a strange little buggy problem, though, using the new card.
> Sometimes, not all the time, I'm getting my mouse pointer from my desktop
> in
> the game. It's like it's on top of OFP. Sometimes, when I launch OFP, it
> will be there, and sometimes it won't. On OFP menus, when the extra mouse
> pointer shows up, I'll see two pointers--the one from my desktop and the
> one
> used in OFP (and they're not so close together either). Then, when I
> launch
> a mission, if that extra pointer is there, it will also be floating around
> somewhere around my weapon sight during the mission.
>
> I've closed the game and re-opened it a few times, and if I do this enough
> times (sometimes it takes several tries), the extra pointer will go away.
>
> Any idea on what I need to fix to get this fixed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> C.

---

>> Ouch, is it too late to take that old card back? Nvidia have just
>> bought a new budget version of the 6800. 5900 was never much cop,
>> who
>> the heck advised that?
>
> A couple of people here advised it, and I did some research--the
> 5900
> received glowing reviews in several places, and I bought the one
> manufactured by BFG, a company that also got glowing reviews.
>
> I got a great deal on it. It was reg. $249.99, but I found it on
> sale for
> $179.99, and I had a cupon, that the store also took, making the
> grand total
> $161.99.
>
> If you think I can get a 6800 for $162, then I've got a 14 day
> return
> period.

Pci or AGP? The 6800 will be soooo much better though.

> > If you think I can get a 6800 for $162, then I've got a 14 day
> > return
> > period.
> >

> Pci or AGP? The 6800 will be soooo much better though.

AGP.

You know, I'm not sure what the difference between AGP and PCI is, other
than the slots for the card are different.

Is one better than the other?

> > If you think I can get a 6800 for $162, then I've got a 14 day
> > return
> > period.
> >

> Pci or AGP? The 6800 will be soooo much better though.

I believe you about the 6800. Believe me, if I could afford one, I'd buy
one. I was trying to keep the price down to $100-$150, and in that price
range, I'm quite happy wiht the 5900.

From my research--

The 5900 blows the 5700 out of the water, and the 5900 is probably the best
card on the market in the $150-$250 price bracket.

It seems that nVidia was coming out with its new 6800 chip, but had all
these old 5900 chips that they wanted to get rid of. So, they made a
business decision. The 5900 was their high-end offering before the 6800
came out, and in order to get rid of the inventory, they released the 5900
as a price-point card--even though they knew this card would compete with
their own 5700 for a while.

Once the 5900 chips were sold out, nVidia would continue with the 5700 as
their budget entry in the market. The 5900 was only planned as a budget
price item for a length of time equal to closing out the inventory on the
older higher-quality chips. Then, nVidia planned on the 6800 as their
high-end series and the 5700 as their low-end series.

I hit four stores in my area, and this stuff I read on the net reflected
itself in all three store's inventory.

Store #1 (Best Buy) had exactly 2 5900 cards in stock, both manufactured by
BFG. I bought one of them. Store #1 did have several 6800's and 5700's
(and even lower end 5500's).

I then proceeded to Store #2 (another Best Buy) just to see if there were
competing brands (or less expensive prices). Store #2 had 0 5900's in
stock, but several 6800's, 5700's and 5500's.

And at Store #3 (CompUSA), I saw, again, no 5900's but several 6800's,
5700's and 5500's.

At Store #4 (Computer City), there were no 5900's, a couple 6800's, and
several 5700's and 5500's.

These are the four largest sellers of computer products within 10 minutes of
my house. I live in a large city, so I was expecting to find more than just
2 5900 cards within easy grasp.

And, the price--I can't beat it. I've checked the net.

Moral of this story: If you're like me, and you want to put a minimal
amount of $ into a new gfx card, then the 5900 is your boy--but you'd better
hurry. They're dissappearing as nVidia closes out its stock of inventory on
the older high-end 5900chips.

I also never had this problem until I started using WinXP Home , I did have
Win Me and everything was fine.

--
Kango <TZW>

> > the solution is very simple
> >
> > set your desktop to one resolution..... like 800 x 640
> > set your game to another resolution .... like 1024 x 768
>
> Hmm. Strange. I had the resolution set the same on my old GeForce 2
card,
> and I didn't get this.
>
> And...I've noticed that if I ALT TAB to the desktop (which doesn't work
like
> it used to either--it takes a couple of tries, instead of one, to get to
the
> desk top), then pop back into OFP, it fixes it.

> I also never had this problem until I started using WinXP Home , I did
have
> Win Me and everything was fine.

When you switched to XP Home, did you also switch to a new gfx card? Maybe
a bigger card?

The reason I ask is that I've only run OFP on XP Home, and as I said before,
I didn't have the problem until I upgraded my card.

Communique wrote:
>> I also never had this problem until I started using WinXP Home , I
>> did have Win Me and everything was fine.
>
> When you switched to XP Home, did you also switch to a new gfx card?
> Maybe a bigger card?
>
> The reason I ask is that I've only run OFP on XP Home, and as I said
> before, I didn't have the problem until I upgraded my card.

The problem isn't specific to your card, it's a really common one.

--

Communique wrote:

>> set your desktop to one resolution..... like 800 x 640
>> set your game to another resolution .... like 1024 x 768
>
> Hmm. Strange. I had the resolution set the same on my old GeForce 2
> card, and I didn't get this.

IIRC it will also go away if the refresh-rate differs between ofp and
the desktop.

--
mvh / Regards
Bjørn Halvor Bergtun / Xenu <TZW>

--
Kango <TZW>

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Littlemoot wrote:

> Or you can alt-tab out and back into the game which sometimes gets rid
> of it.

This solved it for me, as well. I installed a brand new shiny ATI card
which worked fine, but for some reason I got the mouse pointer whenever I
load OpFlaps. But yeah, Alt-Tab'bing sorted it for me.