[SOLVED] Im getting slow internet.

EduardoG357

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020
Hi, so I was downloading a game update today and I noticed it went pretty slow so I went to go test my internet speed and im getting 60mbps. I have 1000mbps and when I test it I usually get around 900mbs. This is very weird and I was wondering what the problem is. Last night it was working fine and I haven't changed anything. I checked my phone and I'm getting over 900mbps. I am also using a wired connection with a Cat 7 cable. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
Hello eduardo, i wish i had your problem , i am in england and my local exchange is very old i can only get 20 mb/per second.

A 20gb game will take me 2hrs 23 mins to download.

Anyway there are many reasons why internet downloads run slow

1. a popular game that does not have very good servers.
  2. free games on say epic games site suddenly show a 00 timer so if thousands of people download it at the same time then everybody's connection runs slow because the servers cant cope.
  3. microsofts 2nd tuesday ...... in england the major updates are released at around 6pm but i always wait till the next day because as with the above , if everyone wants it then it runs slow.
  4. Are you running wi-fi and if yes do you have your modem...
Hello eduardo, i wish i had your problem , i am in england and my local exchange is very old i can only get 20 mb/per second.

A 20gb game will take me 2hrs 23 mins to download.

Anyway there are many reasons why internet downloads run slow

1. a popular game that does not have very good servers.
  2. free games on say epic games site suddenly show a 00 timer so if thousands of people download it at the same time then everybody's connection runs slow because the servers cant cope.
  3. microsofts 2nd tuesday ...... in england the major updates are released at around 6pm but i always wait till the next day because as with the above , if everyone wants it then it runs slow.
  4. Are you running wi-fi and if yes do you have your modem locked with a keycode so knowbody can use your band width

BTW the speed test you use is the best one around.

Solution
Have you updated anything on your system lately? Updates can break things as well as fix them.

The other thing I would try which will help eliminate network or hardware issues is to boot a linux live cd/usb and run a speedtest there. If you're getting 900mb there, then your network and hardware are good, and it's a windows issue.