Question Im getting some stutters in Rocket league and dont know why

Aug 28, 2021
My Pc is pretty overkill for this game but it just wont run smooth, uncapped @ 2560x1440 it gets to around 600-800fps but every 10-30secs it drops down to like 15-50fps, frame times go up to 50ms i usualy have the fps capped at 360 while playing. I have tried a lot of things that i´ve read online and it doesnt really work. So im starting to belive that mabe smth. is worng with my gpu. I´ve benchmarked it in Heavens @ 2560x1440 and got a max off 450fps and a min off 10fps (not overclocked).

Specs:
aorus x570 pro
Amd Ryzen 9 5900x
G.skill 2x16 GB 3200 Mhz c14 RAM
Radeon Rx6800xt
Corsair 1000W PSU
Samsung 980pro M.2 SSD
(Cpu and Gpu are custom watercooled)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aug 28, 2021
What is the maximum frame rate of your monitor? I see little reason that your frame rate cap should be so high.
its 2560x1440 @240hz Samsung G7 but the reason that i´ve put it to 360 is, because when i put the framerate to 240fps it drops below 240 quiet often its not really a big deal but it feels a bit choppy(i dont use free sync or v-sync but i´ve tried both and it doesnt make a difference). 360fps is the next step higher in the game settings. but it doesnt really matter tried all kinds of framerates with different resolution and still get stuttering.

the only thing that helped so far in closing all other background applications(reduces the stuttering a little bit) .

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021
its 2560x1440 @240hz Samsung G7 but the reason that i´ve put it to 360 is, because when i put the framerate to 240fps it drops below 240 quiet often its not really a big deal but it feels a bit choppy(i dont use free sync or v-sync but i´ve tried both and it doesnt make a difference). 360fps is the next step higher in the game settings. but it doesnt really matter tried all kinds of framerates with different resolution and still get stuttering.
the only thing that helped so far in closing all other background applications(reduces the stuttering a little bit) .

I have a very similar problem with a very similar GPU...
My monitor is the DELL S2721DGFA, it's 2560 x 1440 with 165Hz.
I also run Rocket League at 360Hz because it's the only option that the game really feels smooth on!
Idk why, but when I cap the frames at 165fps (what should be the best with the 165hz monitor, right?) the game just doesn't feel smooth! In some situations it feels like the Hz drop to 60 or so, completely random!
And I also have the issue that like every 10 secs (sometimes more often or less often) the frames drop from consistent 360fps to around 30, 50, 70 or something like that.
While playing, my CPU is under 15 - 20% load and my GPU goes from 60 - 80% load.

Another thing:
  • When I try to play with Freesync AND Enhanced Sync the game caps at around 75fps for some reason lol.
  • When I play ONLY with Freesync it runs smooth at 360fps (with the frame lag spikes) and choppy at 240 or 165fps (also with frame lag spikes...).
  • When I play with Freesync and Enhanced Sync OFF it looks like ****....
AND: When I have Freesnyc on in the monitor's settings and Freesync off in Radeon Controll Center, it still looks like Freesync is enabled. Only when I also disable Freesync in the monitor's settings, it actually disables Freesync!

So yeah m8... Idk... maybe you've found a fix for this ****... if so, please let me know! :D
Rocket League is like the only game I'm really grinding atm but if I can't get it fixed I will lose interest... :(

My specs:
  • CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT -COOLING NZXT Kraken X53 / 240mm
  • GPU XFX Merc 319 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
  • RAM 32GB (2x (2x 8192MB) G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16-16-16-36 Dual Kit)
  • MB Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2 (BIOS F14e)
  • old PSU CoolerMaster V750 Gold V2 / 750 Watt 80+ Gold / Full-Modular
  • new PSU be quiet! Straight Power 11 / 850 Watt 80+ Gold / Full-Modular
-M2 SSD WD_Black SN750 NVMe - Windows 10 installed
-Sata SSD Crucial MX500 1TB - Games and stuff

This is what the frame spikes look like for me... completely random!
gngqaohs6fs71.png

Aug 28, 2021
No sorry i dont really have a solution.

(There is one thing you can try that actually fixed it for me but its not really someting permanent , Start windows in CLEAN BOOT modus and try if this fixed it)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd

After researching a lot and and contacting the support, i even went as far as switching some hardware but nothing helped.

I can assure you it has nothing to do with radeon gpu, as i have switched to 3080 still same problem.
It could be the cpu as we both run ryzen but i wont swap my cpu.

This problem could also be caused by the game engine as this game runs on unreal engine 3,
an engine from 2007.

I just hope that this problem will be fixed when Rocketleague transferes to Unreal Engine 5.
(But thats gonna take a while)

Last edited:
Reactions: AgentF03
Oct 24, 2021
No sorry i dont really have a solution.

(There is one thing you can try that actually fixed it for me but its not really someting permanent , Start windows in CLEAN BOOT modus and try if this fixed it)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd

After researching a lot and and contacting the support, i even went as far as switching some hardware but nothing helped.

I can assure you it has nothing to do with radeon gpu, as i have switched to 3080 still same problem.
It could be the cpu as we both run ryzen but i wont swap my cpu.

This problem could also be caused by the game engine as this game runs on unreal engine 3,
an engine from 2007.

I just hope that this problem will be fixed when Rocketleague transferes to Unreal Engine 5.
(But thats gonna take a while)
Thanks for your reply!

I will try a clean boot then and look if it maybe helps somehow.
Sad to hear that you even have this issue with a 3080. :(
One thing that I could try is to borrow a Ryzen 7 5800X from a friend and see if that will make a difference.

Anyways, thanks for all the help! :)