Question im going to change my I5 3300 processo to a I7 3470 (i dont use a laptop) . Will this make me have to reinstall all my programs ? thanks

ashtekaros

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019
im going to change my I5 3300 processo to a I7 3470 (i dont use a laptop) . Will this make me have to reinstall all my programs ?

(CORRECTION: It is I7 3770, NOT 3470)

for now the CPU is I5 3330 GHZ 3.20 ghz 4 CPUS it wil change to a i7-3470

8 GB of RAM

64 BITS OPERATIONAL SYSTEM

GPU IS GEFORCE GTX 1050

Motherboard seems complex (i used command prompt to see) :
manufacturer: Gygabite technology co.ltd
Product: H61M-S1
Serial number: To be filled by O.E.M
Version: x.x

"serialnumber" in the command prompt was simply not recognized as a valid command, does it matter in this case?

is there a way to know the PSU without opening the pc? i found no label of it there.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
No, you don't have to reinstall programs however depending on your motherboard you will need to check if you need to upgrade you BIOS or change some settings to enable your new upgraded chip.

Your PSU can be seen from the rear it has a switch on it with a power cord and usually there is a spec sticker there or directly to the side and that can be viewed when you open your tower desktop side panel. Good luck!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
To change cpu, there's only 1 thing you'll need to do and that's update the bios to the last published. It won't change anything in windows except a couple of settings in the power plan.

The 3470 is i5 not i7, so you'll see no benefit over the 3330 you have now. The i7 is the i7-3770/k/s/t models.

InvalidError

Titan
Switching between CPUs of the same family does not require any software change... unless you are going from single-core single-thread to something higher, in which case you may need to re-install to switch from single-processor kernel to multi-processor. Though I doubt any modern desktop OS still has a single-processor kernel since single-core desktop CPUs have been extinct for nearly a decade :)

TRENDING THREADS