[SOLVED] Im going to upgrade my cpu and i narrowed it down to two cpu’s need advice again

Solution
packersfan036 Between the two choices, I would personally go for the Ryzen 5 3600 (higher IPC), unless I was live streaming (e.g. Twitch, YouTube Gaming, Mixer). In that case, I would go for 8C / 16T CPU. With that said, if I had HDD or combo small SSD + HDD build then I would instead upgrade to all SSD build with Intel 660p 2TB. I own one and love it for the money. Only bummer is that Intel software migration tool (Acronis?) does not work on their NVMe SSD's, so you'd have to fresh install Windows and migrate data over. I can no longer tolerate hard drives in my builds.

Addendum: If you persist with buying a new CPU, just remember to sell your Ryzen 5 2600 to partially recoup the cost. Currently that CPU sells...

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
What about your current processor isnt cutting it?
Nothing, they're just upgrading for the sake of upgrading.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/should-i-upgrade.3523970/
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/need-advice-asap-should-i-upgrade-my-cpu.3525678/

Given that:
  1. Your current CPU isn't limiting your performance (according to what you said in the other thread)
  2. Doing an upgrade that's unnecessary in the present for the sake of 'future proofing' makes no sense
It's hard to give sensible advice on what to upgrade to when the upgrade itself doesn't make sense. If you really have to upgrade, I'd probably get the 3600 (assuming a pure gaming rig).

If you are gaming I would go for the 2700x. With PBO it hits 4.3 which is slightly faster than 3600 4.2GHz. And you get 4 more threads which is useful for streaming or encoding. Also you'll get a better cooler with the 2700x, and less upgrade issues using an older B450/X470 board.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
If you are gaming I would go for the 2700x. With PBO it hits 4.3 which is slightly faster than 3600 4.2GHz. And you get 4 more threads which is useful for streaming or encoding. Also you'll get a better cooler with the 2700x, and less upgrade issues using an older B450/X470 board.
thats the direction i was thinking of. my board is a msi b450 tomahawk, cpu cooler is a corsair h100i pro rgb aio. 32gb of corsair ddr4 vengeance pro rgb 3000 mhz overclocked to 3200 1.4v, also the cpu is overclocked to 4.3 ghz 1.4v stable.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
If you just want gaming speed go for the 3600.
If you want to Game while streaming or doing anything else then the extra cores and threads of 2700x would help.
I upgraded from my 2600 (OC'd to 4 GHz) to a 3700x and it improved fps slightly (10 fps or so in most of the games I play) but since I stream to 2 1080p TV's via Plex even while gaming the extra cores definitely help.
And I do some video encoding once a week or so and the time for doing my encores is just over half what it was with the 2600.
I will say that my RAM no longer can be OC'd to 3400 MHz (with tighter timings) like it did with the BIOS I used for my 2600.
It will now only run at 3200 Mhz with slightly tighter Primary timings.
Hopefully a future BIOS will address and fix that issue.

There should be no decision to make at all, as the 3600 pretty much defeats the 2700X across the board, even in scenarios that favor the added cores of the 2700X, due to the IPC increases of the 3600.

Click 3600 'buy now', and rest easy !( upgrade your BIOS now, or certainly before removing 2600 and inserting the 3600)

(Was there something the R5-2600 was lacking in? Overclocked, they pretty much rival 2700X in gaming anyway, and, short of a 2070 Super or above, it's hard to imagine noticeable frame rate increases forthcoming, short of 144 Hz refresh scenarios)

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
There should be no decision to make at all, as the 3600 pretty much defeats the 2700X across the board, even in scenarios that favor the added cores of the 2700X, due to the IPC increases of the 3600.

Click 3600 'buy now', and rest easy !( upgrade your BIOS now, or certainly before removing 2600 and inserting the 3600)

(Was there something the R5-2600 was lacking in? Overclocked, they pretty much rival 2700X in gaming anyway, and, short of a 2070 Super or above, it's hard to imagine noticeable frame rate increases forthcoming, short of 144 Hz refresh scenarios)
im using a msi gaming z rtx 2070 video card.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I know that itch, stares at computer that he totally didnt need stares at the other computer he totally didnt need
LOL
Me too, I just recently upgraded from an OC'd 2600 to a 3700x.
Did I need to ?
Absolutely not.

Am I glad I did ?
Abso-freaking-lutely !!!!!!!!

I have ZERO buyers remorse and I will either sell the 2600 to someone at a GREAT price or I will use it to build an HTPC (which I don't really need).

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
Lucky. 2700x was 33% more expensive here, get that one and overclock it if you must. But 2600 is still pretty suitable.
i bought the 2600 new from best buy for 120 dollars. you guys are right. ill stick with the 2600 heck i have it overclocked to 4.3 ghz stable. ok ill wait for zen 2+ or zen 3. thanks for all your input. i was just concerned about future proofing, but 6 cores and 12 threads are still enough i think.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
i bought the 2600 new from best buy for 120 dollars. you guys are right. ill stick with the 2600 heck i have it overclocked to 4.3 ghz stable. ok ill wait for zen 2+ or zen 3. thanks for all your input. i was just concerned about future proofing, but 6 cores and 12 threads are still enough i think.
You should be fine with the 2600 for at least the next 3 years or so if not longer.
I just had the extra cash and really wanted to try out the 3700x so I went for it.
I just knew that if I didn't get it now I would probably spend that cash on something practical like a new water heater or a new lawn mower or Insurance payments or even my property taxes. ;)

Reactions: packersfan036

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
You should be fine with the 2600 for at least the next 3 years or so if not longer.
I just had the extra cash and really wanted to try out the 3700x so I went for it.
I just knew that if I didn't get it now I would probably spend that cash on something practical like a new water heater or a new lawn mower or Insurance payments or even my property taxes. ;)
lol

packersfan036 Between the two choices, I would personally go for the Ryzen 5 3600 (higher IPC), unless I was live streaming (e.g. Twitch, YouTube Gaming, Mixer). In that case, I would go for 8C / 16T CPU. With that said, if I had HDD or combo small SSD + HDD build then I would instead upgrade to all SSD build with Intel 660p 2TB. I own one and love it for the money. Only bummer is that Intel software migration tool (Acronis?) does not work on their NVMe SSD's, so you'd have to fresh install Windows and migrate data over. I can no longer tolerate hard drives in my builds.

Addendum: If you persist with buying a new CPU, just remember to sell your Ryzen 5 2600 to partially recoup the cost. Currently that CPU sells used on US Ebay between $100 - $125 USD.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...d=1&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3000

Last edited:
Reactions: packersfan036
Solution

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

Addendum: If you persist with buying a new CPU, just remember to sell your Ryzen 5 2600 to partially recoup the cost. Currently that CPU sells used on US Ebay between $100 - $125 USD.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...d=1&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3000
ya i dont render or live stream yet. so i was also thinking the 3600 as well for the better ipc. ive seen as good as 10 to 15 fps better in games then the 2600. even if i could get 80 to 90 dollars for my 2600 that would be ok cause i got it new for 120 dollars. and im using a 500gb wd black sn 750 m.2 nvme drive as my boot drive. and im using a sandisk 2.5" 1tb ssd drive as a game/storage drive. i want to buy another 1tb for more storage soon. i also thought about just keeping my 2600 till either zen 2+ or zen 3 comes out. im probably going to end up adding more storage now, and upgrading the cpu next time. what do you think?

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
so i was also thinking the 3600 as well for the better ipc. ive seen as good as 10 to 15 fps better in games then the 2600.
Keep in mind a lot of CPU gaming benchmarks in reviews are done with a card like a 2080/Ti at 1080p, which exaggerates performance differences in FPS between CPUs. As you step down in GPUs (and/or step up in resolution) the difference between one CPU and the next for gaming decreases.