I'm gonna build my own gaming pc for the first time, need help.

HenrikRaa

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015
I'm planning to build my own gaming pc and I need some help in what to choose.

This is my temporary outcast:

Case: NZXT H440 (love the design)

Processor : Intel Core i5-4690K

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6

Graphic card: Gigabyte GTX 970

Cooling (not sure if I need water cooling): Corsair H75 Hydro Series CPU Cooler

DDR3 RAM: HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz 16GB Black

SSD: Crucial MX100 128GB

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1 TB

PSU: Cooler Master G650M, 650W PSU

I'm from Norway and all this cost around 1600 dollar
I will be grateful for any reply :ange:

Solution
if you are not going to do any major overclocking then a much cheaper air cooler is good enough. the cooler master hyper 212 evo is plenty of cooling for a moderate overclock of the 4690k and only runs about $30 US.

the rest looks solid except for the power supply. it is ample power and will run the system but overall, it is an average psu and there are better one's out there. with that said, i do not know what is available to you and at what prices so it is possible this is the best option at a decent price. if you could give me a store your shopping at i can skim it and see what is available and offer a better choice if it is there.

you don't really need 16 gb of ram either. 8 gb of ddr-1600 cas 9 or lower ram is plenty for modern...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if you are not going to do any major overclocking then a much cheaper air cooler is good enough. the cooler master hyper 212 evo is plenty of cooling for a moderate overclock of the 4690k and only runs about $30 US.

the rest looks solid except for the power supply. it is ample power and will run the system but overall, it is an average psu and there are better one's out there. with that said, i do not know what is available to you and at what prices so it is possible this is the best option at a decent price. if you could give me a store your shopping at i can skim it and see what is available and offer a better choice if it is there.

you don't really need 16 gb of ram either. 8 gb of ddr-1600 cas 9 or lower ram is plenty for modern games. if you have other uses for the pc that needs more ram, then no problem. but you can save some cash for a gaming pc by lowering it to 8 gb in a 2x4gb pair.

but overall, this is a very solid build and will have you gaming with high settings for a long time :)

Solution

HenrikRaa

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015

Thank you for the fast, and good, response :D
Here is a link (http://) to the PSU section for the main store for electronics and parts in Norway. It's in norwegian but I think the site is simple enough for you to find your way around it ;) Good to know: 500 NOK equals about 65 USD

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no problem. pc specs are a universal language :)

the xfx psu's are high quality and pretty cheap for you. this is a 550w one that is ample power and actually cheaper than the one you were looking at. https://www.komplett.no/xfx-proseries-core-edition-550w-psu/657685

if you feel you might even sli the 970 you would want more power and this one would be a good fit for that use. costs more but it is also a bunch stronger. https://www.komplett.no/xfx-proseries-xxx-edition-750w-psu/760108

the 550w one is plenty for the system even with overclocking on a single 970.

enjoy :D

HenrikRaa

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015

Thanks to you I saved about 200 dollars :D. I'am new at Tomshardware and I have to say that this was impressive, the fast and professional answers and the easy to use site really went above all my expectations :wahoo:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
your welcome. over the years i found myself coming back here more and more over other forums. so eventually i decided to add my knowledge to the experts already here. i learn something new every day and though there may be some trolls around looking for arguments, most folks here are knowledgeable and genuinely want to help others. come on back any time you have more questions or feel free to add your experiences to the questions being asked. we all have something we can add to the community. :D

enjoy

HenrikRaa

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015

There was one more thing, I know this may sound a bit stupid, but do I need any special tools for this assembly? :??:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
a screwdriver is all you need. everything else just snaps in place.

if you get the hyper 212 evo it comes with a tube of thermal compound. if you don't buy that be sure to get a tube of thermal compound. if you ever take the heatsink off the cpu, it will have to be cleaned and reapplied. better to have some than to be caught without. one tube will last a long time since little is used at once.

that's about all you need. the mobo comes with 4 sata cables and there will be more screws than you need between the parts.

my advice for new builders is to read the motherboard manual from page 1 to the end. each page will explain a connection of the mobo and what goes in it. if you have that , then install it. if not move on. this way you won't miss anything and be left wondering later why something does not work. this is how i started building and i never missed anything this way. if a part is tricky to install, then check it's manual for how it goes in. most parts only go in one way and in one place so it is nearly impossible to mix up slots. take your time and enjoy it :) this is supposed to be fun.

HenrikRaa

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015

Btw: I changed the graphic card from Gigabyte GeForce G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB to a MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB PhysX because the Gigabyte one didn't fit the case maximum length requirements of the NZXT H440 (294mm). Gigabyte's length was 324mm and MSI's was 269mm, the specs are very similar and the reason the gigabyte was longer is because it has three fans instead of MSI's 2.
I am very excited to start to build it :D