i'm have a lan party, which one is your favorite

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I as well as spud ( who despite his sarcasm was exactly right) have already explained why the switch is so much better. I used to have a hub as well and when I switched over to a switch I noticved a huge difference. Myself, I do not play quake however what game you are playing should not make a difference. I myself play ( with my kids) Homeworld cataclysm and RA2. What you keep forgetting is the more ports you add to the hub the slower you go ( assuming all ports/connections are sending and trying to recieve data at the same time). You can get a decent linksys 10/100 switch for around 50 bucks (4 port with uplink) and you can link two together just like a hub setup.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Ncogneto on 04/26/01 01:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, Thanks Ncogneto. I didn't really ask for the difference between a switch and a hub. I only asked what its price was and if you can actually use the 100Mb speed of some of the switches in games. But now that you reminded me, what is the difference then between a router and a switch? I'd say the switch has a collision buffer and the router is the one that knows the address of each port.
Thanks.

Sh!t Happens.