[SOLVED] I'm having big issues with black screens of death that I'm unable to fix

miknepa

Reputable
May 20, 2019
Basically I've had this pc for around 2 years now and I've stumbled upon issues here and there but I was always able to fix them eventually, but this one is giving me headaches.

SPECS:
CPU - 9980XE overclocked to 4.2GHZ
CPU Cooler - Kraken Z73
GPU - Aorus 2080Ti Xtreme edition
Motherboard - ROG Rampage VI EXTREME OMEG
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 3200 16-18-18-36, used to be a 8x16 Kit but 4 mobo slots broke so 4x16 = 64GB, also notable is that the XMP profile bluescreens the system so They are running 2800mhz 16-18-18-36 on 1.32v
Storage: 970 Evo 2TB Nvme, Seagate 6tb NAS HDD

Now to the problem: My pc blackscreens at random points mostly when playing games, no cursor, sound or anything. Just a black screen, shortly after (5-10s) it automatically restarts itself and I'm back at the windows login screen
This is where my headaches start: It creates no minidump file as a regular bluescreen should, and when checking Windows Reliability Monitor there are 2 notable CRITICAL errors:
1. Windows, Windows was not properly shut down

(The previous system shutdown at 23:55:43 on ‎09/‎08/‎2021 was unexpected.) This happens everytime my pc blackscreens, this does not contain any errorcode or anything that can help me get somewhere.
2. Windows, Hardware error

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffdf884e213050
Parameter 2: fffff806740f6958
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_19042
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 8192
This does not occur everytime it blackscreens, I don't even know if this causes a crash, but these are also scattered around and might also indicate a crash or something along those lines.

More notable things that are good to know. Searching up the error associated with the Windows Hardware errors states that it is caused by bad graphics drivers, which I did update shortly before this started, but for the first weeks/days after the GPU driver update everything was normal, it took quite a while for the blackscreens to start.
These overclocks I have in place are tested and I know that they are stable. CPU overclock has been running like this for at least 6 months and running Memtestx86 does not give me any errors. Additionally when I run stress tests like Aida64 and 3dmark, nothing really happens, it just does it's job and even yields pretty good results, But when I play something like apex legends or csgo or rust it randomly blackscreens, this really sucks as it's keeping me from playing ranked/competitively. My last resort is to wipe my drives but I really do not want to do that. I will gladly supply more information and I'm excited to hear what you guys think, thanks in advance and stay safe.

Solution
remove all graphics related drivers, settings, files with DDU.
reinstall the last driver package from Nvidia that gave you no issues.
if it continues with no more problems, try updating again.
if the problems arise again do the same but skip the latest driver package until another is released.

you don't mention anything regarding temperatures though.
if the GPU is overheated and crashing outright it could crash the system without any Windows reports or BSOD errors.
monitor temperatures right up to one of these blackscreen episodes and see what the GPU & CPU are reaching.
remove all graphics related drivers, settings, files with DDU.
reinstall the last driver package from Nvidia that gave you no issues.
if it continues with no more problems, try updating again.
if the problems arise again do the same but skip the latest driver package until another is released.

you don't mention anything regarding temperatures though.
if the GPU is overheated and crashing outright it could crash the system without any Windows reports or BSOD errors.
monitor temperatures right up to one of these blackscreen episodes and see what the GPU & CPU are reaching.

Solution

miknepa

Reputable
May 20, 2019
Trying to DDU and rollback to a working version did not work, blackscreening continued. Temperatures do not seem to be related to the blackscreenings, they happen midgame or in the menus, also during normal desktop usage or high load programs.

Update: Seems like the countless blackscreens and restarts made windows decide to kill itself. Multiple system32 files corrupted and I was stuck in multiple bootloops so there is not point in trying to do anything here anymore. I will just wipe and do a clean reinstall of windows from here. Got all my important files backed up on my hdd. Hopefully the issue disappears after that. Keep the recommendations and help coming, I will still be active here.

Seems like the countless blackscreens and restarts made windows decide to kill itself. Multiple system32 files corrupted and I was stuck in multiple bootloops so there is not point in trying to do anything here anymore.
this is more likely the same problem showing itself in a more robust form.

if a fresh OS install leads to a more stable system without issues then you know it was just a corrupt OS causing it all to be begin with.

make sure to use an updated Windows install package directly from MS when\if re-installing:

TRENDING THREADS