Im having connection problems! PLEASE TRY TO HELP!

TheDuckPortal

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Hi,

My main gaming computer is having some major networking difficulties.

It is connected to the router but fails to keep the connection solid enough to do barely anything...

I can browse a few web pages before it decides to give up and it throws me a 'this page cant be displayed' message although the PC is still technically 'connected' to the router as the bars at the bottom right of my screen display.

And my download speed is well below any of the other laptops or PC's which I have in the house, I am getting 0.3mbps to 0.4mbps on speedtest.net where with my other devices I am getting 7mbps-13mbps.

To troubleshoot so far I have:

1. Moved my PC closer which turned out unsuccessful and didn't solve the issue, I moved it practically side by side to the router.

2. Used my laptop in the same areas which also proved unsuccessful, all other devices in the house are working fine.

3. I thought re-installing windows would be my last resort but I had to do it, I re installed windows and nothing changed, it was still not working properly.

4. Took my PC over to my girlfriends and used it for a few days there... SUCCESS! there was absolutely no signs of any network issues and my download speed was once again high... until I brought it home.

The network issues are still here and I am wrecking my brains to find out what is wrong, please help me!

Proteus1

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
Have you tried a wired connection to the router? Its def a issue with your network since it works great at the gf's. Have you unplugged the router for 30secs? Are you using a wifi adapter? Did u install the latest driver?

TheDuckPortal

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

The last time I tried connecting it via ethernet was to troubleshoot this very issue last week.

The computer acted as though the ethernet cable wasn't even connected and continued the connection via wifi, I then disconnected the wifi and it still acted as though the cable wasn't connected.

A friend of mine said it might be due to the windows restore I just did which deleted all of the motherboard drivers and I should try reinstalling them from one of the discs I had got packaged with it, I'll try this tomorrow and then try the ethernet again since its pretty late at the moment.

msipe

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
Since it is your gaming computer, first of all I would recommend to hard wire it to your network. It provides a more efficient connection.

Depending on how you did your restore, you may have lost all of your drivers. To check this, right click on my computer (or ThisPC) and go to properties. A window should come up, on the left hand side is Device Manager. Click on it. If you are missing your drivers, there will be several "Unknown Devices" with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in them. Using a disk that came with the motherboard would be the easiest way to get the drivers for your computer, but you could also visit the website of the manufacturer of your motherboard.

I see that you said it does not recognize your Ethernet cable, this could be one of two things...

First, it could be a bad Ethernet cable. Check both heads to ensure that all the wires inside them are properly in the jack.
If this does not fix it, you may need a new network card.

Hope this helps.