I'm having cpu issues.

Mar 17, 2018
So recently, I upgraded some part of my PC, so I could handle games. I bought a GTX 1050, and a Q9400 CPU. I was upgrading from an E5800, and so my performance jumped drastically. I also upgraded from an HD 7750, but the graphics card isn't the main point of this. The problem is, whenever I'm starting up my PC, the CPU fan (Thermaltake CL-P0497) rattles for a few seconds. It goes back to normal levels of noise, and everything seems fine. Except for one thing. Whenever doing a simple task such as opening CPU-Z, or trying to go into full screen in a game, the CPU load jumps to 100% and freezes. This has happened since upgrading, but at first, I fixed it by benching the CPU on CPU-Z a few times. I just assumed this was because I bought the CPU from a company that sells them in an anti-static bag and has been (most likely) sitting on a warehouse shelf. But starting last night, after restarting my computer, I haven't been able to get the freezing to stop. I replaced thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5, may be the problem), clean the fans, I've tried restarting it, benching it, trying to do anything I could to fix it. I just can't. I haven't found any other forum with the same problem, so I made my own.

My specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
Gigabyte GTX 1050 2gb OC Edition
10gb of generic ddr3 ram
Seagate 1tb HDD
Stock Dell PSU and MOBO

If you guys know what the problem may be, let me know. It would be of so much help.

First, remove the pair of 1 GB sticks of RAM, and, boot up checking each 4 GB stick in required slot, one at a time....; then both if successful....

YOU might have an intermittent RAM stick....

The fan rattling for a few seconds is not really relevant, just an annoyance as long as the fan spins up and is functioning...

Mar 17, 2018

Its a Dell Inspiron 560 that I got from a friend, I'm not sure if I'm running the most recent BIOS version.

Mar 17, 2018

I did this, and all of my sticks worked. Though, I'm not too sure if an intermittent ram stick could cause CPU load throttles.

Mar 17, 2018

No, unfortunately not. I forgot to mention that this only occurs when something causes the screen to change such as going full screen in a game or opening something that asks for administrator confirmation. Another side note, during the first few minutes while everything is loading after logging in, this doesn't happen, but after everything is loaded, that's when the freezing starts. This doesn't affect my gaming performance, but my PC freezes often. Also, if I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows, could that possibly fix the problem?

Mar 17, 2018
After formatting my hard drive and reinstalling windows, the problem still occurs. However, now after further investigation, the freezing isn't occurring because of CPU load issues. CTRL+ALT+DEL causes this freezing problem, and something such as going fullscreen in GTA 5 causes the game to crash due to freezing. I'm not so sure of it being the CPU anymore.

Mar 17, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from frankl78.fl : "Issues with freezing and and other things"

So I got this PC from a friend, and I've been using it for gaming, editing, browsing the web, etc. It had an Intel E5800 and a Radeon HD7750 in it when I got it. (It an Inspiron 560 that I assume he upgraded). I wasn't liking the performance of games, so I upgrade the video card and CPU. Now, it has a Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC Edition, with a Quad Core Q9400. But, after upgrading the CPU, I've been having this weird issue. Whenever I open something that pops up that "are you sure you want to open this" menu, my screen goes black for about a minute or two, the menu opens, I click yes or no, then black for another minute or two. Whenever I press CTRL+ALT+DEL, the same thing happens. Opening a game such as Fortnite causes my screen to freeze frequently, even though my fps is perfect. Whenever I play GTA 5, and try to go fullscreen, the game crashes. At first, I just assumed it was a CPU load issue, which I'm pretty sure it's not. It's definitely not a driver issue, as I have all of my up-to-date drivers installed. I have also checked my ram sticks (A set of 1gb sticks and a set of 4gb stick, equaling 10gb in total), and I don't think they're the culprit (unless I have an intermittent stick, no idea how to check for that.). While browsing the internet, no issues at all. I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows, downloaded all my drivers again, and still, the same thing happens. I have also updated my BIOS to the most recent version, but to no avail. I have no idea what could be causing it. When the problem first started happening, I could just use the CPU-Z benchmark a few times, and it would stop, until I restarted my PC, then the whole routine again. But, I had to do some windows updates, so I restarted. When it came back on, the issue was there. So, I tried my usual routine, but this time, it didn't work. So I kept doing it, but, the problem was still there. I have no idea what the problem is.

My Specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
Gigabyte GTX 1050 2gb OC Edition
10gb of stock ddr3 ram
1tb seagate hdd
Rest of the basic Dell Inspiron 560 components.

If you any of you know what the cause could be, let me know, it would be so much of a help!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Have you updated any and all motherboard drivers. WindowsCE (I'm assuming you are in fact using Windows 10) has had issues with legacy drivers. Just reinstalling windows wiped out all the old mobo drivers. Audio and Lan are usually the 2 main culprits, especially the Realtek audio drivers. Conflicts can be anything from freezes to bluescreens or blackscreens as audio files loop, causing 100% cpu usage in lower end/limited core systems.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Remove the 1gb memory modules. Just use the 2x4gb ones. Try running your system like that. Mixing memory can certainly impact stability issues.

The poster directly below this post has a good point as well. Are you using the original 300w PSU?

antonio.parrot

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
I think the problem is in PSU. The skock PSU of Dell Inspiron is rated 300 wats nominal. As it is surely a low end PSU that really should be 200/250. Just enough for a E5800 (65 wats) the original integrated GPU and the HD, USB, fans and mobo. I think the HD 7500 (55 wats) was an improvement that PSU still endured.

When you replace with Q9400 (95 wats) and GTX 1050 (75 wats) is posible you you exceed the capacity of the psu. At idle it endures but at 100% of GPU and CPU doesnot.

I think you need a 450 / 500 wats PSU.

Mar 17, 2018
I'll try it with just the 2x4gb sticks, and if it still has the problem then I'll get a new PSU.

Edit: Looks like I'm getting a new PSU! (I was probably gonna get on anyways) I can't really tell the formfactor I'll need. I'd say probably Micro-ATX, but if you know, lemme know.

Mar 17, 2018
I got a new PSU, a 450 watt corsair CX450 (Semi-modular) and it seems the problem has gotten worse. Now when I'm typing, there's a stutter and when it freezes, it freezes for a longer period of time.

Sounds driver related to me since you are good in safe mode but not so when additional services and drivers start.

Check device manager and see if any are showing a yellow triangle.

You can also use event viewer and see if there are any events in system or apps that throw an error right before the freeze.

Edit: What is your cpu temp at idle and what is your ambient room temp?

Mar 17, 2018

I checked device manager, and there were no yellow triangles. My CPU temps on idle are around 33-38°C and my room temperature is about 25°C.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Starting to sound like a legacy bios compatability issue that's not popping up until certain conditions are met.
1) turn off pc
2) pull out gpu
3) turn on pc using integrated graphics. Allow full boot process.
4) turn off pc.
5) boot pc, interrupt to bios. In bios disable/turn off any secure boot modes. If you have CSM (that's a boot compatability mode) enable it. Save and shut down pc.
6) reinstall the gpu.

Might help, might not.

Mar 17, 2018

I went through the steps, but it didn't fix my problem.

Edit: I put the old CPU in and booted it up, and strangely, the problem was still there.

TRENDING THREADS