I'm having cpu issues.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 17, 2018
So recently, I upgraded some part of my PC, so I could handle games. I bought a GTX 1050, and a Q9400 CPU. I was upgrading from an E5800, and so my performance jumped drastically. I also upgraded from an HD 7750, but the graphics card isn't the main point of this. The problem is, whenever I'm starting up my PC, the CPU fan (Thermaltake CL-P0497) rattles for a few seconds. It goes back to normal levels of noise, and everything seems fine. Except for one thing. Whenever doing a simple task such as opening CPU-Z, or trying to go into full screen in a game, the CPU load jumps to 100% and freezes. This has happened since upgrading, but at first, I fixed it by benching the CPU on CPU-Z a few times. I just assumed this was because I bought the CPU from a company that sells them in an anti-static bag and has been (most likely) sitting on a warehouse shelf. But starting last night, after restarting my computer, I haven't been able to get the freezing to stop. I replaced thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5, may be the problem), clean the fans, I've tried restarting it, benching it, trying to do anything I could to fix it. I just can't. I haven't found any other forum with the same problem, so I made my own.

My specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
Gigabyte GTX 1050 2gb OC Edition
10gb of generic ddr3 ram
Seagate 1tb HDD
Stock Dell PSU and MOBO

If you guys know what the problem may be, let me know. It would be of so much help.

Mar 17, 2018
It seems like the problem has been fixed. I think it may have something to do with a bad connection on the hard drive, but I'll come back to this threat if the problem comes back.