Question I'm having issues with random BSODs and restarts ?

Mar 5, 2023
Hello, not sure where to post this.

For the past few months, my PC has been having issues with random BSODS/restarts. The latter don't show up on the event viewer, and I have no way of tracking them. I'll go weeks without seeing a restart, and then sometimes it'll restart multiple times in one day. Not sure what could be causing that, so I'm open to ideas. My main issue right now are the BSODS, which tend to be more frequent. It's very hard to track, because as I said they are seemingly random. I might have to wait days for another BSOD, or sometimes only hours.

I've heard that the errors are related to drivers, but I have no idea how to read the minidumps. Maybe it's a Windows problem? No clue.
Looking for help identifying what the cause(s) could be.

I just updated my motherboard's BIOS around ~2 weeks ago, thought that fixed the issues but my PC is BSOD'ing again.
Nothing seems to be overclocked.
Temps seem to be fine, both idle and in-game.
Currently have XMP activated on RAM, but the BSODS/restarts started months before it was activated.
Did memtest--didn't come back with any errors.
dism and sfc --no errors found.

Hardware
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 16GB @ 3200cl16
MOTHERBOARD: B550 AORUS ELITE
BIOS: F16b (2023/02/08)
PSU: EVGA 600W 80+bronze
1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD
1x 7200rpm HDD

Downloaded bluescreenview....
The last three BSODS were IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Caused by driver: ntoskrnl.exe
Caused by address: ntoskrnl.exe+3fa090
A BSOD from a few weeks ago shows SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, address ntoskrnl.exe+3fa1d0
Before that was a BSOD labelled DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER, same address as above.

Mini dumps (pls let me know if this works):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pvvLkhwJLcSYsaSJTKwcmgFS51gEdotg?usp=sharing

I looked at the bugcheck from the most current first then back to the oldest one.
The cause of the corruption was not clear. I would suspect malware. You can try to fix the various problems but doing a clean install might be faster.

to try to do a repair you would:
start cmd.exe as an admin then run
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
then turn off the system virtual memory to delete the pagefile.sys reboot and turn it back on.
I would set the system to delete the pagefile on each shutdown until you get things running better.

I would then attempt to fix the xbox gaming system
by running a powershell script to uninstall it, reboot and reinstall it. (google for a script)

I would make sure all of your razer software was updated or removed it you do not need it. It looks like the problems started from some razer software running as a 32bit app, then windows files started to be modified. (just might have been random chance, I can not tell from the dumps)

clean windows install with out the ryzenmaster driver might also be a good idea.
------------------
problem looks like a corrupted timer
system was running over 10 days

3 windows core files have been modified.
2 windows defender files look wrong.
windows xbox gaming files look wrong
digital rights management driver(for decrypting audio) modified

overclock driver installed
AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys Thu May 12 23:01:00 2022

----------------
BIOS Version F16b
BIOS Release Date 02/08/2023
Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Product Name B550 AORUS ELITE
Processor Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Processor ID 100f8700fffb8b17
Processor Version AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
Processor Voltage 8bh - 1.1V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 4200MHz
Current Speed 3600MHz

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023
Any idea how to fix these things? I've used the command prompt to scan Windows files but it didn't detect anything wrong. Not sure what a corrupted timer system is.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hello, not sure where to post this.

For the past few months, my PC has been having issues with random BSODS/restarts. The latter don't show up on the event viewer, and I have no way of tracking them. I'll go weeks without seeing a restart, and then sometimes it'll restart multiple times in one day. Not sure what could be causing that, so I'm open to ideas. My main issue right now are the BSODS, which tend to be more frequent. It's very hard to track, because as I said they are seemingly random. I might have to wait days for another BSOD, or sometimes only hours.

I've heard that the errors are related to drivers, but I have no idea how to read the minidumps. Maybe it's a Windows problem? No clue.
Looking for help identifying what the cause(s) could be.

I just updated my motherboard's BIOS around ~2 weeks ago, thought that fixed the issues but my PC is BSOD'ing again.
Nothing seems to be overclocked.
Temps seem to be fine, both idle and in-game.
Currently have XMP activated on RAM, but the BSODS/restarts started months before it was activated.
Did memtest--didn't come back with any errors.
dism and sfc --no errors found.

Hardware
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 16GB @ 3200cl16
MOTHERBOARD: B550 AORUS ELITE
BIOS: F16b (2023/02/08)
PSU: EVGA 600W 80+bronze
1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD
1x 7200rpm HDD

Downloaded bluescreenview....
The last three BSODS were IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Caused by driver: ntoskrnl.exe
Caused by address: ntoskrnl.exe+3fa090
A BSOD from a few weeks ago shows SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, address ntoskrnl.exe+3fa1d0
Before that was a BSOD labelled DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER, same address as above.

Mini dumps (pls let me know if this works):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pvvLkhwJLcSYsaSJTKwcmgFS51gEdotg?usp=sharing
Not sure if it’s going to help for this issue but whenever I begin troubleshooting similar issues, I run sfc /scannow in the background in a Command Prompt as Administrator. It’s a quick scan that checks and repairs system files. That way, I can keep doing other tests.

Might want to see if your GPU and motherboard have any other driver updates available.