Question I'm having ping spike issues on my laptop ?

Mar 17, 2024
I've got an ASUS X515 laptop. Bought it in May of 2023. It was a step up (massive) from the Mac I was running. For the most part, it's a great laptop. There's just one problem. Whenever I go to play an online game (City of Heroes Homecoming, Guild Wars 2, Star Trek Online), everything's fine for about half an hour, but then the ping spikes to 1500 and then settles back down to 500.

I've checked the drivers for the GPU, I've contacted my ISP and checked to see if maybe it was because I was on a slower package (I was, originally on a 5mb package that I recently upgraded to faster service), I've even checked within Windows 11 itself to see if the firewall was the problem. So far, nothing has worked. I'm wondering if someone might shed some light on this.

Mar 17, 2024
I am indeed using Wifi as there is no ethernet connection on the laptop (something I was rather shocked by). I find it interesting, though, because I did have a Mac and was using wifi for that as well, but had no ping issues at all with that machine. It was just old and getting up there, and it was time to upgrade, thus the switch back to a Windows platform.