[SOLVED] Im having stutters in my games, is it my ram?

Aug 12, 2020
My games runs at high fps overall (though im having lower fps than most of the tests that are on youtube with my gpu) however im getting periodical stutters in most of my games (nfs heat, gta, warzone, and HUGE stutters in fortnite), im also getting screen tearing in most of them

i want to know if my stutter issue is caused by my ram, i have 8gb, when idle it stays around 30% of usage, when using chrome it gets to 40%, when gaming most of my games use around 5-7gb of my ram

Im also wondering if it could be faulty vram in my gpu

SPECS:
Ryzen 3 3200g
XPG d41 8gb d41 2666mhz ddr4
Msi RX 5500 XT Mech OC 4gb
120gb m.2
1tb 5400rpm hdd

Solution
Here is a link to a post similar to yours that seems to have been successfully resolved today:
Here is the essence:

Stuttering is usually because of slow single thread performance.

You have two strikes against you here.
  1. a single stick of ram will run in slower single thread mode.
  2. Ryzen depends on fast ram for performance.
Your 2266 ram speed is less than the 3200 speed that is supported.

I would dump the old ram and buy a supported 2 x 8gb ddr4 3200 speed ram kit.

The OP reported that...
Aug 12, 2020
More ram will help but need to ask, have you tried any of these games off the ssd? Because the 5400 is not ideal to play games from.
Yes, since my stutters in fortnite are dramatically huge, i managed to install it on my ssd a while ago, it was just the same except for the loading screens

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm yeah, you're going to have to try give a crack at getting more ram. Not only to increase capacity because Windows can already consume 2~3GB for itself leaving the Pagefile to possibly grow beyond ideal, but for dual channel performance as well which'll increase cpu's performance.

How much space is left on the ssd? Because no doubt the Pagefile virtual would be used and if say there's less than 20GB left can cause issues.

A kit of ram, fastest the motherboard is compatible with would be what I'd try first. Then maybe look toward a secondary larger ssd, even if it's 2.5" sata type, would go along way as well. That way you can manage more space for Windows to use (if necessary) for the PF. It is recommended to keep at least 10~15% free on ssd's for it to maintain performance and somewhat more if the PF is expected to grow. Id say around 20~25GB would be safe margin.

Aug 12, 2020
Hmm yeah, you're going to have to try give a crack at getting more ram. Not only to increase capacity because Windows can already consume 2~3GB for itself leaving the Pagefile to possibly grow beyond ideal, but for dual channel performance as well which'll increase cpu's performance.

How much space is left on the ssd? Because no doubt the Pagefile virtual would be used and if say there's less than 20GB left can cause issues.

A kit of ram, fastest the motherboard is compatible with would be what I'd try first. Then maybe look toward a secondary larger ssd, even if it's 2.5" sata type, would go along way as well. That way you can manage more space for Windows to use (if necessary) for the PF. It is recommended to keep at least 10~15% free on ssd's for it to maintain performance and somewhat more if the PF is expected to grow. Id say around 20~25GB would be safe margin.
Thanks, i have around 50gb left on my ssd so not much of a problem, the thing is that right now i cant afford a 2x8 ram kit since im a 3rd world teen and my parents wont give any money since they bought me the pc like a month ago, the only thing i can do right now is buying another 8gb stick of the same model (adata xpg d41), do you know if dual channel would still work?, My board is an asus prime b450m-a

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
I've personally been fine mixing ram of different brands in the ddr3 days with the same speed/timings, and even mixed ddr2 years ago of different speeds/timings, at least back in the day stuff would default to whatever the lowest stick was.

I'm running 32gb g skill ddr4 2933mhz, 8gbx4, I bought two 16gb sets a few years apart. Worst comes to worst you can return the identical ram if it has problems but you SHOULD be ok. Yes, the 8gb x 1 in single channel is crippling your cpu. Your gpu is fine for 1080p ultra/high gaming 60hz, I've had the rx 480 8gb which is similar tier from what I read, and have been fine.

I've yet to find something that makes me compelled to move on from my RX 480 8gb I've had for 4 years now. I'm an "average joe" gamer content with 1080p 60hz. RX 480/580/5500XT are great for 1080p it seems. The only two games I've ever had low fps drops in are known to be badly optimized, Squad(very demanding for a game that looks like it's from 2007 frankly) and a recent patch in Hell Let Loose crippled performance.

I'm waiting to see what the new console gen bumps spec requirements to before I upgrade, if I even do...they seem all targeted to 4k 120fps gaming which is not me at all. I could go on and on but I actually don't like the way the game industry has gone and have been playing older niche stuff, single player or casual co op stuff with friends when I do game.

Reactions: xLeoMN
Here is a link to a post similar to yours that seems to have been successfully resolved today:
Here is the essence:

The OP reported that replacing the ram solved his problem.

Reactions: xLeoMN
Solution
Aug 12, 2020
My games runs at high fps overall (though im having lower fps than most of the tests that are on youtube with my gpu) however im getting periodical stutters in most of my games (nfs heat, gta, warzone, and HUGE stutters in fortnite), im also getting screen tearing in most of them

i want to know if my stutter issue is caused by my ram, i have 8gb, when idle it stays around 30% of usage, when using chrome it gets to 40%, when gaming most of my games use around 5-7gb of my ram

Im also wondering if it could be faulty vram in my gpu

SPECS:
Ryzen 3 3200g
XPG d41 8gb d41 2666mhz ddr4
Msi RX 5500 XT Mech OC 4gb
120gb m.2
1tb 5400rpm hdd
Here is the essence:

The OP reported that replacing the ram solved his problem.
will be buying a 16gb kit when i get the money to do it, i will post my results here, thank you all for helping me out