Question I'm having system crashes during gaming time, and I've tried almost everything

-Arke-

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015
Hello there!!

I've havign these crashes for months now. Sometimes, while playing some games, my computer freezes (even though my mouse still moves for some seconds), and then it either goes black o the screen remains frozen while sound still works for a few wseconds, then it frezes too (just like it happens in this video (which isn't mine):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ3yXpY5yoc

When this happens, I have to hard-reset my computer.

I've tried updating my motherboard BIOs, re-installing windows from zero, trying a different windows version, got my drivers checked and reinstalled with DDU, changed my motherboard, and later on my GPU, and got everything tested (Fumark, Cinebench, Memtest, Intel CPU testing tool, Crystaldisk and so on), and apparently, everything is working as intended.
I have some errors in the windows event viewer, but I've been researching and those are not the freezing problems, but the error I am causing when I hard-reset my PC, apparently.

The only pieces I have not swapped are CPU, RAM and PSU. My temps are very good as well, and I can play for days without a single error while other days I'll just have a crash within 5 mins. I'm puzzled.

My system: I7 8700, Asus Z370-F, 16Gb DDR4 @4000 MHz (KfA2), EVGA G2 750W Gold, and my cooler is a Phantom Gelid Black.

Thanks in advance for your time; any idea will be welcomed.

-Arke-

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015
I assume that all your testing came back negative? I would run Prime 95 version 26.6 (link will go to download) stress test on it until I forced an error.

edit: and although your memory tested okay, it sure sounds more like a memory issue being so random than anything else since your temps are stable. :??:

I tried Prime95 already but only for a couple hours. I think I'm gonna do that; will post my feedback here, thanks.

-Arke-

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015
I assume that all your testing came back negative? I would run Prime 95 version 26.6 (link will go to download) stress test on it until I forced an error.

edit: and although your memory tested okay, it sure sounds more like a memory issue being so random than anything else since your temps are stable. :??:
Hello there!!

I just had Prime95 runing for 15 hours and a half and I got no errors. I used the blend mode with 12 modules. Checked every one of them in the end and got a total of 0 errors or warnings.

[Main thread Jul 17 12:00] Mersenne number primality test program version 29.8
[Main thread Jul 17 12:00] Optimizing for CPU architecture: Core i3/i5/i7, L2 cache size: 6x256 KB, L3 cache size: 12 MB
[Main thread Jul 17 19:33] Starting workers.
[Main thread Jul 18 11:10] Stopping all worker threads.

[Main thread Jul 18 11:10] Execution halted.

gdds_01

Reputable
May 5, 2020
I had some trouble with RAM with my rig before, and I fixed it just disabling XMP. Have you tried running you RAM at stock?

I recommend you to test your RAM with MemTest86 (through a bootable flash drive) for at least 2 hours; if it does not find any errors then, probably, your RAM is fine.

-Arke-

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015
I had some trouble with RAM with my rig before, and I fixed it just disabling XMP. Have you tried running you RAM at stock?

I recommend you to test your RAM with MemTest86 (through a bootable flash drive) for at least 2 hours; if it does not find any errors then, probably, your RAM is fine.

I've ran the Memtes USB boot version for two hours and again I've got no errors. I'm gonna have it running this night though, just in case, so I can finally disregard or not the RAM as the one to blame. It looks to be healthy, but the crashes sound a lot like a RAM issue, or so it seems when I navigate post of games crashing. I'll post again here comenting on the result :)

-Arke-

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015
A bit of necroposting but still, since I got my problem solved it's worth something in case face a similar problem. I just got my GPU refunded and started using my girlfriend's RX 570. Not a single problem and been going this good for some months now, so I think we can safely blame my old RX 5700.