[SOLVED] I'm in a dilemma, choosing a decent monitor for both graphic design & gaming !

Teekiii

Honorable
Jan 19, 2017
Hi everyone,
Recently I've posted a topic in "Systems" about upgrading my PC after 12 Years, and TH was such a help in choosing the right parts and fine tuning them, I've decided, finally, to get all the parts below, except one thing, the monitor !

I've postponed this part expecting it to be the least confusing part of the built but it turned out to be the complete opposite.

I went into an infinite loop of YouTube reviews and online articles and my country's available market trying to find the most appropriate monitor that meets my needs, which is the reason of this confusion.

As I'm working as a full time graphic designer + I'm sacrificing my next console (PS5) money to afford my PC built, I will be needing a monitor which is suitable for both, Graphic Design & Gaming.

I've done my homework and I have a good understanding of the different types of panels, TN,VA,IPS and the general specs Image Quality (PPI), Viewing Angles, Response Time (GtG, etc..), Refresh Rate, Adaptive Sync, Input Lag, Color Accuracy factors like the Gamut percentage (Adobe RGB, sRGB, DCI-P3)

So I understand now (I don't know if I'm right or wrong) that I need:
for my graphic design part
an IPS monitor with a high percentage of matching color gamut and decent viewing angles with a high PPI between 90-110
and since I'm looking for 32" screen so at least I'm aiming for 1440p

For the gaming part:

I play all types of games, FPS , TPS and other and I can't wait to play BF 2042, so It means I need High refresh rate with a G-sync and lowest Response Time and Input Lag, HDR 10 with 1000 nits would be a plus.

Well apparently this monitor doesn't exist, so I need your help

I loved this monitor: LG 32UN880-B 32 Inch UltraFine™ Display Ergo 4K HDR10 Monitor for me as a designer, it's the perfect one, but as a gamer I'm worried of that 60 Hz, I don't think it would work for gaming as there's another UltraGear one for gaming.

While I don't think the UltraFine can work as a gaming monitor, (correct me if I'm wrong), I read that UltraGear maybe the answer to this question as its IPS and has high RR also G-sync as you can see in this 27GN650-B the only problem that I can't find the 32" with an IPS Panel in my country, I can find it only with VA panel wich is unacceptable for me as I tried a lenovo VA panel monitor and it simply sucks in design as its colors are faulty.

Please know that your help on this topic is much appreciated, thank you in advance.

My built specs suggestions:
CPU:
AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12-Core 24-Threads

GPU:
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 OC 6G

Motherboard:
ASUS X570-P PRIME ARGB ATX

RAM:
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHz Cl16 DDR4 Memory

Storage:
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 x 4, NVMe 1.3
& 2TB SSD

Case:
Lian Li - Lancool II Mesh RGB

PSU:
Cooler Master MWE 650W 80 PLUS Gold V2 Full Modular

Coolers:
Noctua NH D15 Chromax.Black

Online Shopping websites in my country:
https://www.elnekhelytechnology.com/monitors
https://elbadrgroupeg.store/index.php?route=product/category&path=66
https://www.sigma-computer.com/category?id=4&cname=Monitors
https://www.amazon.eg/-/en/gp/browse.html?node=26082314031&ref_=nav_em_pc_desktops_0_2_4_4

Solution
Sadly, there is no monitor that fits every task. What there are, are design/3D work oriented (e.g the 4K monitor you picked out) and then there are gaming oriented, like the MSI Optix G27C4 (VA panel, 1080p, 27", 165 Hz, 1ms response time, curved), that i suggested in your previous topic,
specs: https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-G27C4/Specification
your store link: https://www.elnekhelytechnology.com/monitors/msi-27-inch-optix-g27c4

And there are media consumption monitors as well (known as TVs).

as I tried a lenovo VA panel monitor and it simply sucks in design as its colors are faulty.

Not all monitors are created equal and just because you had one bad example with VA panel, doesn't mean all VA panel monitors...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Sadly, there is no monitor that fits every task. What there are, are design/3D work oriented (e.g the 4K monitor you picked out) and then there are gaming oriented, like the MSI Optix G27C4 (VA panel, 1080p, 27", 165 Hz, 1ms response time, curved), that i suggested in your previous topic,
specs: https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-G27C4/Specification
your store link: https://www.elnekhelytechnology.com/monitors/msi-27-inch-optix-g27c4

And there are media consumption monitors as well (known as TVs).

as I tried a lenovo VA panel monitor and it simply sucks in design as its colors are faulty.

Not all monitors are created equal and just because you had one bad example with VA panel, doesn't mean all VA panel monitors are bad.

It's like when you order pizza and you didn't like that specific one. Does it instantly mean all pizzas in the world are bad and you don't like any of it? No, it does not.

Also, there are cheap and bad monitors and then there are expensive and good monitors. Just like with all things. And based on your experience, you ended up with cheap/bad monitor, that sadly tinted your experience with VA panels as a whole.

I loved this monitor: LG 32UN880-B 32 Inch UltraFine™ Display Ergo 4K HDR10 Monitor for me as a designer, it's the perfect one, but as a gamer I'm worried of that 60 Hz, I don't think it would work for gaming as there's another UltraGear one for gaming.

Since you mainly use your PC for your work, i suggest that you get yourself a good monitor for your work. Gaming is entertainment and doesn't take up bulk of your time, for you to look into gaming oriented monitor. RTS, RPG and other slow-moving games do fine on 60 Hz. Only games that high FPS matters are fast-paced; FPS and racing.

Gaming wise, RTX 2060 can push 165 FPS @ 1080p in games, with high/ultra settings. For 1440p (2K), it can do 120+ FPS in medium settings (depending on a game). Though, RTX 2060 is too weak to push 60+ FPS on 4K resolution.

Many gaming oriented monitors are also curved since curvature of the monitor gives more depth to the games and creates more immersion.

For example, i have MSI Optix MAG241CR (specs) (VA panel, 1080p, 24", 144 Hz, 1ms, 1500R curved) monitor and in games, i can see more depth. Then again, when i'm looking my missus'es flat screen monitor, it feels like her monitor is bulged out in the middle and looks very weird. :LOL: Since i'm used with curved monitor.
Though, i don't game that much anymore and for my other tasks, i'm happy with my monitor. Especially since it has very good contrast ratio, 3000:1, making my hobby of image editing a very nice experience, where black is black and doesn't look washed out. (Before my current monitor, i had TN panel monitor for years and while decent for everyday use, it was poor for image editing.)

So I understand now (I don't know if I'm right or wrong) that I need:
for my graphic design part
an IPS monitor with a high percentage of matching color gamut and decent viewing angles with a high PPI between 90-110
and since I'm looking for 32" screen so at least I'm aiming for 1440p

For the gaming part:

I play all types of games, FPS , TPS and other and I can't wait to play BF 2042, so It means I need High refresh rate with a G-sync and lowest Response Time and Input Lag, HDR 10 with 1000 nits would be a plus.

All things considered, my suggestion to you would be, to:
  • buy design/3D work oriented monitor.
  • And if you're not happy on gaming at 4K 60 Hz monitor, you can always, at later date, buy 2nd, gaming oriented monitor as well, e.g 1080p 144 Hz, for high FPS on RTX 2060.
;)

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I imagine in this scenario the primary focus for the monitor should be for the graphic design aspect.

You aren't going to find many inexpensive monitors that have g-sync, high refresh, large size, AND color accuracy.

RTX2060 isn't going to get you high FPS in 2042, it will be playable at medium settings at 1440p, and high/ultra at 1080p. So targeting a 120hz panel isn't really an important factor. That said, people tend to keep monitors longer than GPUs, so there is the potential for an upgrade in a few years.

That LG 4K monitor is enough for gaming. 5ms response time, 60hz. You certainly would want to game below 4K.

I've seen people use this for gaming/graphic design:

https://www.asus.com/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/ProArt/ProArt-Display-PA278QV

You didn't specify a budget for the monitor.

Teekiii

Honorable
Jan 19, 2017
i doubt that RTX 2060 is going to be able to even push 60fps at 2160p(4K) in most AAA games,
so a 60Hz display isn't really a bad choice.

if you choose to go 1440p then you may want to look into 120Hz but the 2060 still can't even max out 120Hz @ 1440 with most games unless you are using very low settings

so I understand that the refresh rate is connected by two ends, one to the output of the GPU and one to the input of the monitor,
so I should balance that connection between both of them.
if that's right, then my question is if I choose a 1440p 60Hz monitor for a 2060 that we assume will output the same (60 Hz at 1440p) I shouldn't experience any ghosting or tearing?

Or I'm getting this wrong?

Thanks in advance

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
so I understand that the refresh rate is connected by two ends, one to the output of the GPU and one to the input of the monitor,
so I should balance that connection between both of them.
if that's right, then my question is if I choose a 1440p 60Hz monitor for a 2060 that we assume will output the same (60 Hz at 1440p) I shouldn't experience any ghosting or tearing?

Or I'm getting this wrong?

Thanks in advance

Not really. The GPUs performance will vary constantly, not a fixed quantity, depends on the game, what is happening in the game, and your settings.

Graphics card outputs in FPS, in an ideal world, each rendered frame is ready when the monitor is at the start of the refresh cycle.

60FPS to 60Hz = no tearing, sort of.
V-sync forces the GPU to send over complete frames only at the start of a refresh cycle, this can lead to less than perfect performance, ie showing the same frame twice if one isn't ready. Generally only use this when you know your system can maintain the FPS and you don't want tearing.

FreeSync, Adaptive Sync, and G-Sync turn control of the monitor's refresh rate over to the GPU. So the GPU says 43 FPS, then it will do 43Hz on the monitor, and there is no tearing since it is dynamically controlling the refresh rate. So in that regard, you don't have to match anything at all.

Ghosting is all about how quickly the monitor can change the color of pixels. Features like ULMB will strobe the backlight in time with the refresh rate to reduce light, this doesn't often work with FreeSync/G-Sync.

You do not need to run the native resolution of you monitor while gaming. With few exceptions, most games don't use normal fonts or have fine details to read.

TRENDING THREADS