I'm installing Ubuntu for 2 different computers

zbwindows7

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Ok, so Im installing Ubuntu on my SSD after my damn windows got another virus. I've finally had it so now I'm installing Ubuntu. I recently acquired a friends laptop to keep. It's a 32-bit IC2 with 1GB of RAM (note: I have 4GB shipping), my desktop computer (the crashy windows one) is a 64-bit ICI5 with 8GB of RAM.
What I'm hoping to be able to do is install 1 copy of Ubuntu, I want to just be able to swap it in and out of each computer and be able to get right to work with the other. Now, I want the desktop to be able to utilize the 64-bit technology and the laptop to able to work with all my 32-bit apps. The question is how do I do this?

USAFRet

Titan

What is this, specifically? "32-bit IC2 with 1GB of RAM"

But in any case....you can try it. I don't think it will work well if at all, but you can try it.

partyboy690

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
Yeah that's impossible and frankly it sounds like a pain the ass, I assume you have files that you want both computers to access. My solution would be to get a cheap NAS(Network Attached Storage) box and create a secure home network that both computers are one and use the NAS box to store common files, that is assuming you want to share the same disk because of common files.

partyboy690

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014

I'd imagine an IC2 is Intel Core 2 Duo, bad acronym but that's what I think it is :)

USAFRet

Titan

Yeah, probably.
But what he wants to do won't work.

zbwindows7

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Well OK then. Isn't there 32-bit AND 64-bit libraries for the system files that I can install on it (SSD), and by IC2 i meant to say ICD for Intel Core Duo.

- But it is compatible with A core 2 duo

I don't think this can be done with *1* install.
There's no think about it. This is 100% guaranteed impossible. The 32-bit and 64-bit kernels are different as are all the userland programs. The best you could do would be a 32-bit install to use on both computers. What are you trying to run that needs to be 64-bit?

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
What kind of work do you do? It would be much easier to sync the two computers using Dropbox, Bittorrent Sync, or creating a network share, than manually removing a HDD that may or may not work in both computers. Alternatively, just get an external HDD that you use as your primary data drive.

That said, if you are going to try this, 32-bit is the most likely to work in both machines. You can run a 32-bit system in a 64-bit machine, but not the opposite.