[SOLVED] I'm installing windows on my new SSD, What will happened to my old HDD data?

wabale97

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018
I think unplugging the HDD before SSD windows installation and plugging it back again will be fine. Need to confirm this as I never have tested this.
Also, what will happen to the C drive on HDD as there will be a new C drive on SSD now?

Solution
I think unplugging the HDD before SSD windows installation and plugging it back again will be fine. Need to confirm this as I never have tested this.
that should be fine. just check that old hdd not in boot order when you reattach it.
make sure install boots off ssd a few times before reattaching it.
Also, what will happen to the C drive on HDD as there will be a new C drive on SSD now?
C on hdd is just ignored if you boot off ssd, info will remain where it is.. can format it after. or delete the old windows install. might want to copy anything out of documents you want to access without logging onto drive.

Colif

Win 11 Master
that should be fine. just check that old hdd not in boot order when you reattach it.
make sure install boots off ssd a few times before reattaching it.
C on hdd is just ignored if you boot off ssd, info will remain where it is.. can format it after. or delete the old windows install. might want to copy anything out of documents you want to access without logging onto drive.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you never moved your documents folder to another location, its likely in the users folder, and accessing that from another install can get tricky. Better to copy anything out of there before you swap drives.
Same can apply to music and videos if you have any.
All my documents are on Onedrive so they auto copied as soon as I make anything.

if you have steam games you can copy the game library and reuse it on new install.
Once you have everything off old drive, I would run a clean on it. remove the boot partition and wipe drive so you can use it for other things.

Boot from installer
On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter
This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe
If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected
Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.
Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter
The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.