I'm lacking 91gb of space ?

usbssave

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
I have a SSD sized around 250gb.
Written 250gb but like for every usbs, HDD, SDD, you get around 7% gone.
238gb is the only available space.
I already know this.
But I'm lacking more, almost half.

I have 20gb available space now out of 238gb right now.

I tried opening c drive.
I selected all folders including program files, windows and everything in c drive.

It only takes total 147gb.
So 238 - 147 = 91.
Where is my missing 91 gb ?

I'm guessing it's the video game that I downloaded from windows 10 app. (However that game alone wouldn't take 91gb alone either.)

Even if the game is 30 gb or 60gb (which is not the case), still 30gb missing.

The issue is that I can't find the folder of the video game that I've downloaded on my c drive through windows app.
I can only search by typing and then I can run it.
So I'm guessing maybe if you download a video game through windows app, it won't appear on my drives folder.
I don't know why they do this though. It's really inconvenient.
It's not like I get free space so why make it invisible on my drive ?

So it's not just the video game, but something more.

Solution
Most likely you can find where the missing space is by opening drive management and comparing all the existing partition sizes to the amount of space that is missing. It's also possible, depending on the age of the drive, that this is space that the trim feature has determined is no longer usable and has removed from the list of available blocks that can be addressed by the system.

Furthermore, if THAT is not the case, then I would suspect that your drive management has assigned that space as OVERPROVISIONING, so that AS blocks become unusable, which they WILL at some point in the drives life, if you have a full drive there is somewhere to put that information in order to avoid loss of data or errors...
Most likely you can find where the missing space is by opening drive management and comparing all the existing partition sizes to the amount of space that is missing. It's also possible, depending on the age of the drive, that this is space that the trim feature has determined is no longer usable and has removed from the list of available blocks that can be addressed by the system.

Furthermore, if THAT is not the case, then I would suspect that your drive management has assigned that space as OVERPROVISIONING, so that AS blocks become unusable, which they WILL at some point in the drives life, if you have a full drive there is somewhere to put that information in order to avoid loss of data or errors.

https://www.seagate.com/tech-insights/ssd-over-provisioning-benefits-master-ti/

Solution
Windirstat is useless for average users Colif. Half the time "I" have trouble reading WTF it's telling me much less somebody without a clue as to what each of those abbreviated descriptions are. LOL. Still, it IS a good program and offers a lot more detail than drive management or many other partition managers.

All good ideas. Both these methods should help you sort things out. I suspect however that you will find that there will be some combination of things, perhaps of course not these exact numbers but something like Windows restore 15-20GB depending on how many restore points and what percentage of drive space it's configured for, plus overprovisioning which can be up to 10% of your drive space, since that's generally the recommended allocation, so that's another 23.8GB for maybe 43GB. Plus another 15-20GB for the game you downloaded. Now we're at 63-ish GB.

Given that the numbers for any of those items could be somewhat larger or smaller, it's hard to say for sure, but that seems to account for at least a good portion of what you are missing. Might also be that none of that is the problem. Without visually seeing what's going on it impossible to say.

I'd suggest you post screenshots of your drive management screen as follows.

To open drive management.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-disk-management-2626080

To post screenshots:

Detailed instructions on how to post screenshots on Tom's Hardware

I would also either run the directory report as Cynthia has suggested or install WinDirStat as Colif suggested, and post a screenshot of those results as well.