[SOLVED] Im looking for a certain type of module to do a job dont even know if it exist or how to find it!!

Apr 18, 2022
Im new to the forum and not sure if im posting in the right place or not but I have a very specific problem that needs a solution. Problem is I have a module that varies voltage to a motor to increase or decrease speed but the module can only deliver about 15amps before toasting. So im wondering if theres another module that exist that can receive voltage as a signal (ex. receives 8v signal form existing module- outputs same voltage but can deliver 50 amps under max load without issue) The module must have the ability to supply 50amps and can receive signal from 6v to 15v thankyou!

kanewolf

Titan
Im new to the forum and not sure if im posting in the right place or not but I have a very specific problem that needs a solution. Problem is I have a module that varies voltage to a motor to increase or decrease speed but the module can only deliver about 15amps before toasting. So im wondering if theres another module that exist that can receive voltage as a signal (ex. receives 8v signal form existing module- outputs same voltage but can deliver 50 amps under max load without issue) The module must have the ability to supply 50amps and can receive signal from 6v to 15v thankyou!
Since you have a 15A implementation, can you run four in parallel? That would provide 60A. It is DC, should be OK. Worst case you would use blocking diodes to protect each of the units from each other.

Apr 18, 2022
Since you have a 15A implementation, can you run four in parallel? That would provide 60A. It is DC, should be OK. Worst case you would use blocking diodes to protect each of the units from each other.
Unfortunately no, the module in question is coded to another module so it needs to stay in place, Its very complex so it cant be doubled up or anything like that.

Apr 18, 2022
It has to with fuel delivery in a boat. It uses a 2 main computers and a sensor to regulate fuel pressure. The pressure drops the module in question increases voltage to the fuel pump to increase pressure. Only problem is when you start making more power and put in a bigger fuel pump the module can no longer supply enough amperage to the bigger pump without frying. Any ideas?

Apr 18, 2022
The fuel pump module and the computer are coded together so they need to remain in place. Im just trying to use the fuel pump module as a reference signal to something that has the ability to supply higher amperage

kanewolf

Titan
The fuel pump module and the computer are coded together so they need to remain in place. Im just trying to use the fuel pump module as a reference signal to something that has the ability to supply higher amperage
The generic term for what you are looking for is a "voltage follower" -- https://www.electrical4u.com/voltage-follower/
I am not a EE so my practical knowledge is limited.

Solution
I am afraid it is not that simple. The module you're looking for must match the type of the motor used with the pump. Your existind module takes the reference voltage from the controller, and "amplifies" it by increasing or decreasing voltage to the motor.

There are several variables here:
  • the type of the motor (AC/DV, stepper/servo, etc, and specification (max voltage, RPMs per 1volt);;
  • voltage going to existing amplifier;
  • whether there is any feedback from the motor to the controller (encoder, resolver);

As you can see, there are lot of variables here, and it is best if you refer this job to a pro. You don't want your pump failing in the middle of the ocean ;)