[SOLVED] I'm looking to buy a 165HZ monitor with freesync. My GPU doesn't support it. Is it optional? And can my graphics card get the full 165Hz without it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2019
I have a GTX 980 and I'm looking to buy a MSI Optix G27C4 monitor for black friday and wanna know if I can still get 165Hz without freesync. Sorry if this is a dumb question I'm a noob

Solution
Playing those games means you DO stand a very good chance of achieving very high refresh rate gaming, because they can mostly be played on a potato. The fact that it is a Gsync compatible Freesync monitor means you don't NEED to be able to run at 165fps. It has variable refresh rate, but you need to use Displayport to use it and you need to enable Gsync in the Nvidia control panel settings. There is plenty of information and tutorials out there on doing so.
Nov 27, 2019
You can't do over 60hz on that graphics card using HDMI, or when using G-sync. If you want to use Gsync you will HAVE to use Displayport.
OK I plan on using display port I guess but not sure what freesync is an d if I can disable it and still run 165Hz with my graphics card. Right now I run 144Hz but I use a DVI-D. Sorry I don't know much about this stuff and really want the monitor but I wanna make sure I can get it to 165Hz on my current graphics card

Nov 27, 2019
Unless you can get stable 165 frames then its sorta pointless to worry about 165 hz. Also you arent going to notice much of a difference from 144 to 165.
I know I just wanted to know if I could. I don't play demanding games just League Of Legends CS Go and Warframe. I'm mainly buying it because its curved and bigger than my current monitor.

Playing those games means you DO stand a very good chance of achieving very high refresh rate gaming, because they can mostly be played on a potato. The fact that it is a Gsync compatible Freesync monitor means you don't NEED to be able to run at 165fps. It has variable refresh rate, but you need to use Displayport to use it and you need to enable Gsync in the Nvidia control panel settings. There is plenty of information and tutorials out there on doing so.

Solution
Nov 27, 2019
OK thanks for all the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.