[SOLVED] I'm looking to buy a secondhand PC -- is it worth the price ?

Tilly619

Commendable
May 16, 2019
Hello

With the state of trying to buy graphic cards atm im looking to buy 2nd hand PC & was wondering if the specs below is worth the price of £900-$1250 ?

THE CASE
CoolerMaster Cosmos II Ultra Tower Case
Virtually unmarked.
Top and rear fans are brand new quiet, blue LED fans
I could fill the entire listing with the extreme specifications of this case!
THE MOTHERBOARD
MSI X79A-G45 Plus
THE POWER SUPPLY
CoolerMaster Silent Pro 1000Watt Modular Power Supply
The Processor
Watercooled Intel i7 4930K
6Cores/12Threads
Running at a very modest stable overclock to 4.6GHZ (Saved in O/C profile. Will be reset to defaults for new owner)
CPU Passmark Rated: 16854/97th percentile of world ratings
(2D Passmark Rated: 786/77th percentile of world ratings)
LIQUID CPU & GPU COOLING
Cross linked 240mm and 120mm Radiators
XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock
EKWB GPU Waterblock
AlphaCool Dual Bay Reservoir (NEW)
AlphaCool Pump (NEW)
All NEW tubing
MEMORY
32GB Corair Vengeance 1866MHz CL10 DDR3
Running at a modest stable overclock to 1941MHz (Saved in O/C profile. XMP Voltages. Will be reset to defaults for new owner)
Passmark Rated: 3277/97th percentile of world ratings
GRAPHICS CARD
Watercooled EVGA nVidia Titan Black
6Gb GDDR5 384bit
3D Passmark Rated: 11619/94th percentile of world ratings
SOLID STATE DRIVE RAID ARRAY:
BRAND NEW
500GB RAID 0 (2 Brand New 250GB Samsung 850Evo,
only used for installation and testing of this pc)
Disk Passmark Rated: 9495/91st percentile of world ratings
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit version 2004 activated)
HARD DRIVE
Western Digital Green 1.5TB SATA 3GB/s
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit activated)
OPTICAL DRIVE
Pioneer BluRay Player/DVD RW Combo
WiFi
USB 300MB/s

Thanks for your time.

Solution
What should you say the system is worth, also could it play some/most of the newer tittles will Mainly be playing pubg war zone rust games like that thanks for the info
It should play all games at 60+ FPS at 1080p if you adjust game settings as required. It was a high end pc in its day. As mentioned above if it was not for the price problem with gpu’s at the moment you would be to build better for less as madmatt30 said.

My big concern is you have no warranty and those parts are getting old. You need to consider where you would be if the gpu or motherboard failed a week after buying. Personally I think it is too much because of the age of the part but not because of performance. I’m in the UK but I could find a prebuilt system...

Tilly619

Commendable
May 16, 2019
That system has 8 years old tech parts. For 1250 dollars I would expect it to be better even with the current GPU's prices.
Yeah I saw that some of the items you can’t buy off most websites expect eBay, I wouldn’t mind upgrading some parts down the line but 8 years seems excessive would it’s still run new games or should I keep looking thanks for the info

Quality parts but old now.

Were it not for current gpu prices then you could probably build better performance wise for less money.

The titan black is about the equivalent of a rx 580/gtx 1650 super.

Just shows how far gpu's have come now perfoemance tier wise.

I think it's too much money but on the other hand I understand why he's asking that for it.

Reactions: Krotow

Tilly619

Commendable
May 16, 2019
Quality parts but old now.

Were it not for current gpu prices then you could probably build better performance wise for less money.

The titan black is about the equivalent of a rx 580/gtx 1650 super.

Just shows how far gpu's have come now perfoemance tier wise.

I think it's too much money but on the other hand I understand why he's asking that for it.
What should you say the system is worth, also could it play some/most of the newer tittles will Mainly be playing pubg war zone rust games like that thanks for the info

It should play all games at 60+ FPS at 1080p if you adjust game settings as required. It was a high end pc in its day. As mentioned above if it was not for the price problem with gpu’s at the moment you would be to build better for less as madmatt30 said.

My big concern is you have no warranty and those parts are getting old. You need to consider where you would be if the gpu or motherboard failed a week after buying. Personally I think it is too much because of the age of the part but not because of performance. I’m in the UK but I could find a prebuilt system that can equal that system or better with warranty for £1250/$1500.

Solution

Tilly619

Commendable
May 16, 2019

My big concern is you have no warranty and those parts are getting old. You need to consider where you would be if the gpu or motherboard failed a week after buying. Personally I think it is too much because of the age of the part but not because of performance. I’m in the UK but I could find a prebuilt system that can equal that system or better with warranty for £1250/$1500.
We’re would you recommend looking I’m terrible at picking parts and what not I would prefer new with a warranty thanks for you’re help

Reactions: sizzling

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thanks for the help, think I got blinded by the water cooling. Going to order that now

It doesn't mean you can't make a custom loop for yourself regardless. It's better to build your own anyway. After all, you don't want to just "plug and play" someone else's used custom loop. You'd pretty much need to take it apart, clean it, verify the state of the connections, etc. You'll be more familiar with a loop you put together.

It doesn't mean you can't make a custom loop for yourself regardless. It's better to build your own anyway. After all, you don't want to just "plug and play" someone else's used custom loop. You'd pretty much need to take it apart, clean it, verify the state of the connections, etc. You'll be more familiar with a loop you put together.

Yeah I agree, as nice as that second hand system was its too old.

I get the £900 asking price because that was a £2.5k+ system back in the day and it looks like time and effort were put in BUT its just too old to be a viable buy now.

Tilly619

Commendable
May 16, 2019
I just found this. Much better cpu & gpu and you can change to have 32gb RAM.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ry...l&utm_content=3714113&utm_campaign=2021-04-28
NZXT H510 Compact ATX Mid Tower - Tempered Glass Black

MSI A520M-A PRO AMD A520 Chipset (Socket AM4) Micro-ATX Motherboard

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six-Core Processor

Arctic Silver AS5 3.5g, High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound

be quiet! PURE ROCK SLIM

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit AMD Ryzen Edition

NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3060 12GB Graphics Card

WD Blue™ SN550 500GB NVME PCI-e Gen 3 Solid State Drive (Read 2400MB/s | Write 1750MB/s)

WD Blue 2TB 64MB Cache Hard Drive SATA 6Gb/s 5400rpm

Reign Approved ATX 500W Power Supply

TP-LINK TL-WN881N 300Mbps Wireless-N PCIe Adapter

that's what I'm thinking of going for £1160 would you recommend changing anything thanks again

Tilly619

Commendable
May 16, 2019
yeah that's a problem for me don't really get any spare time to try and do my own i would love to give it a try though

NZXT H510 Compact ATX Mid Tower - Tempered Glass Black

MSI A520M-A PRO AMD A520 Chipset (Socket AM4) Micro-ATX Motherboard

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six-Core Processor

Arctic Silver AS5 3.5g, High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound

be quiet! PURE ROCK SLIM

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit AMD Ryzen Edition

NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3060 12GB Graphics Card

WD Blue™ SN550 500GB NVME PCI-e Gen 3 Solid State Drive (Read 2400MB/s | Write 1750MB/s)

WD Blue 2TB 64MB Cache Hard Drive SATA 6Gb/s 5400rpm

Reign Approved ATX 500W Power Supply

TP-LINK TL-WN881N 300Mbps Wireless-N PCIe Adapter

that's what I'm thinking of going for £1160 would you recommend changing anything thanks again

I'd keep the ram at 16gb 3200 and sink the extra money into the 3060ti which absolutely eclipses the 3060 performance wise for the £50 more they're charging.

16gb ram is enough as is the 3200 speed.

You don't need the thermal paste, that's just wasted money, they're not going to use toothpaste or peanut butter on there.

I don't like the nzxt h510, it's a hotbox in my opinion, almost every other case on there has better airflow apart from the 4000d.

Id take the cm mb320l or corsair icue and add a 120 exhaust fan.

PSU could do with upgrading, no idea what the stock one they use is, it may be ok for the warranty period but I'd change it as soon as that's is up.

Tilly619

Commendable
May 16, 2019
I'd keep the ram at 16gb 3200 and sink the extra money into the 3060ti which absolutely eclipses the 3060 performance wise for the £50 more they're charging.

16gb ram is enough as is the 3200 speed.

You don't need the thermal paste, that's just wasted money, they're not going to use toothpaste or peanut butter on there.

I don't like the nzxt h510, it's a hotbox in my opinion, almost every other case on there has better airflow apart from the 4000d.

Id take the cm mb320l or corsair icue and add a 120 exhaust fan.

PSU could do with upgrading, no idea what the stock one they use is, it may be ok for the warranty period but I'd change it as soon as that's is up.
Yeah I was going to go with 3060ti as well got like £300 extra to spend on one so I’ll change case and add extra fan thanks

Yeah I was going to go with 3060ti as well got like £300 extra to spend on one so I’ll change case and add extra fan thanks

If you have extra money I'm going to point you towards this one also.

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-observ...eon-rx-6700xt-12gb-desktop-pc-for-gaming.html

The 6700xt is more or less on par (probably slightly stronger) than a 3060ti if Ray tracing is left disabled.

The case and psu choices are better than novatech imo.

Upgrade the ram to 2 x 8gb 3200, upgrade the ssd to the crucial p2, add a Toshiba p300 2tb hard drive, change the psu to the thermaltake tough power gold 750w.

Add the gigabyte ac1200/Bluetooth card if required.

Comes in at £1259

I like novatech generally but awd are also a very very good seller and custom builder imo.