[SOLVED] I'm looking to increase RAM and need help

OfficeJerk

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
I recently picked up a gaming laptop with one 8gb stick of ram installed.

This is the exact RAM inside

https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/HX318LS11IBK2_16.pdf

There is an empty slot for another stick of RAM and after doing some research, it seems this ram is sold in a pack of 2x8gb, so its possible the previous owner removed one stick.

Anyway after searching this stick online, I can only find a pack of 2 sticks for sale but i only need one. I am wondering what other type of ram or keywords for ram I should be looking for in order to replace the one i have with a pair of new 8GB sticks. Price is a factor, as the one currently installed is quite pricey so im either looking for 1 of the same stick as i have, or 2 fresh new cheaper ones.

Thanks!

Solution
Hey there,

Whilst having a matched kit is often very important for desktop mobo's and their QVL, laptops are much more forgiving when it comes to mixing DIMMs from different manufacturers.

You can check here with the Crucial Scanner to determine a compatible single DIMM to match your system: How to find the right memory for your system (crucial.com)

As long as it's in spec and has the same timings as your current model it should work just fine. They will both operate at the same voltage, so that's fine.
I recently picked up a gaming laptop with one 8gb stick of ram installed.

This is the exact RAM inside

https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/HX318LS11IBK2_16.pdf

There is an empty slot for another stick of RAM and after doing some research, it seems this ram is sold in a pack of 2x8gb, so its possible the previous owner removed one stick.

Anyway after searching this stick online, I can only find a pack of 2 sticks for sale but i only need one. I am wondering what other type of ram or keywords for ram I should be looking for in order to replace the one i have with a pair of new 8GB sticks. Price is a factor, as the one currently installed is quite pricey so im either looking for 1 of the same stick as i have, or 2 fresh new cheaper ones.

Thanks!
Make and model number of the laptop?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You are best off buying a set of 2 sticks as they have been tested to work with each other.
Less chance of new errors this way even if it mean removing a stick that works.

what sticks you want is reliant on what PC you have. All motherbaords have different choices, there could be a better one than what you have now. I won't know without looking.

Hey there,

Whilst having a matched kit is often very important for desktop mobo's and their QVL, laptops are much more forgiving when it comes to mixing DIMMs from different manufacturers.

You can check here with the Crucial Scanner to determine a compatible single DIMM to match your system: How to find the right memory for your system (crucial.com)

As long as it's in spec and has the same timings as your current model it should work just fine. They will both operate at the same voltage, so that's fine.

Solution