I'm Looking To Update My 2.5 Year Old Homebuilt PC

manooly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hello! I'm looking to do some updates to my 2.5 year old PC. I'd like to hear some suggestions from this great community. I always have had good luck using newegg.com to order/buy parts. Here is my current build...

CASE: Antec 1200 (this thing is a beast and love it! 8 cooling fans overall)

MOBO: ASUS p7p55d-e pro

CPU: Intel i5 750 2.66gHz quad core (overclocked to 3.2gHz)

CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212+

RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600

HDD: 2-500GB Samsung 7200rpm drives

GPU: XFX HD Radeon 1GB 5870

PSU: XFX Black Edition 850w

CD/DVD: Sony Optiarc 24x drive

MONITOR: 22" HP (1680x1050 native rez)

MOUSE: Logitech G9 gaming mouse

KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 gaming keyboard

Let me know if you need any other info from me. Again, I'd love to see what suggestions you might have and what exactly I should consider purchasing to upgrade my system. I know I don't need a completely new rig, but a few updated parts wouldn't hurt! I look forward to your comments and replies.

Thanks!

- manooly

this looks like another one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it" threads. What makes you think you need an upgrade ?

If I were" going to work on that rig................ the monitor... I had a 22" 16/9 and moved to a 28" 16/10 and the difference was mind blowing. nothing beats a big screen. Then the video card. Good as it is........... something newer with updated architecture would help in some games but not so much in more FPS.......... but that's not always what it's about. ......... if it ain't broke.................

abegnale

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Hmm. Looks good to me.

How about getting a SSD and a newer gen card (although the 5870 is a great card, there might be deals available with the advent of the 660 and the 7870 price drops, just a thought)?

My PC is 2 years old and apart from adding a SSD, I only refresh my cards (from a 460 OC, then a 6870, and now a 560 SC).

manooly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I appreciate your replies! I actually have been sort of "out of the game" when it comes to pc parts. I was really into it when I did the build and then just haven't been able to keep up with the latest. I just wanted to run it by this communtiy to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything spectacular. I have been considering a larger monitor. Do you think I'd be ok keeping my current video card if I upgraded? I'd be willing to throw a couple hundred dollars into my pc to keep it up-to-date and running at max capacity.

Thanks again!

- manooly

abegnale

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008

Hmm... If you want to switch to nVIDIA, well, pitting the 5870 vs the 660 (http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/660?vs=511), there is a performance gain at less power draw...

The same can be said when comparing the 5870 to the newer gen ATI offers (http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=511)

The 5870 is still capable though. Good card.

Not sure if the 660/7870 will run fluid if you're getting a bigger monitor though.

Open for thoughts.