Question I'm looking to upgrade for gaming, and just want to know if I'm making the right choice.

samtheman17

Prominent
May 13, 2019
I currently have a pretty great gaming PC with the specs below. Lately a lot of games have been running fairly slowly at max setting and my RAM usage is always high (even after resetting my pc). I decided to run a benchmark over at userbenchmark.com. I found out that my ram was running in the 7th percentile. This doesn't seem right at all and I double checked even after doing everything they said. This leads me to believe I am going to have to buy some new ram altogether. If anyone could confirm and suggest something (preferably on Amazon), I would greatly appreciate it.

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
CPU: Intel i5-7600k 3.8 GHz
PSU: CX600M
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2 x 4GB DDR4-2666
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270
Storage: 500 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD

samtheman17

Prominent
May 13, 2019
Your GPU is great. The two issues i see for gaming performance is your CPU and RAM. The heaviest hitting games are going to want an i7 and 16GB RAM for max settings.
Thanks! I plan on completely rebuilding my PC in 2 years once I'm out of college, so I'm trying to keep prices low for now. Which would you recommend upgrading for now?

Benchmarks posted will be for the best samples that are overclocked.
Probably not a realistic test.
Post the results you see.
I really doubt that ram is your problem.
You can test it out with memtest86.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.

Intel processers do not depend on fast ram for performance.

Possibly 8gb is hindering some games.
If there is a severe shortage of ram, it will show up in a hard fault page rate in task manager.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Goto mobo website, download and install any upgraded chipset drivers, audio and Lan, USB, Sata etc. Windows 10 upgrades can have issues with some older drivers, it tries to use its higher version generic drivers and not the mobo component specific drivers.