• MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX5700
  • RAM: G.Skill DDR4 Trident-Z 2x8GB 3200Mhz CL16 Black/White
  • STORAGE:
    • Seagate HDD 3.5" 1TB ST1000DM010 BarraCuda
    • Some 240GB SSD
    • Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NvMe M.2
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W PSU
And I'm just looking to upgrade this build. I have nothing special in mind, I just have a bit of money to spend and I like working on my pc so I figured why not. The build is from October 2019 and has run quite a few hours so maybe I should take replacing some components into account?

So is there anything I should upgrade? If not, where would be any bottlenecks if I were to upgrade anything?
Also I was looking at some GPU's and I was wondering if it is possible to add a GPU instead of replacing my existing one. If that is even a good idea.

I might also be interested in making my pc more quiet, it's not loud at all but I just love a nice a quiet system. While idling my pc is making around 39-43 dBA, is it worth looking for "quiet" fans or is that a bit of a waste of time. Also my HDD is frequently making noise, (it's the reason it goes up to 43 dBA, otherwise it stays around 40) it's nothing alarming I just noticed it.

Oh quick additional note; I'm getting a bit more into Blender and game development in Unity, so anything to make those run better is a massive plus.

I'd love to hear your suggestions, thanks!

Last edited:
Hi!

If you are into game development, you will need a new GPU with lots of VRAM to work with unoptimised textures and working at various resolutions. I think having an Nvidia GPU might be the best.

the main problem i see here is the latest crop of GPU come with a 16 pin power cable and you would have to buy an adaptor. Even though the Focus + 550 has 2 8 pin connectors, seasonic says a 650W model is the minimum requirement.

I dont think you would need more than 8 cores for your game development. but blender is core intensive.

So with that in mind, i would suggest the following:

Upgrade ram to 64gb

Update mobo bios and get a 5800XD if you or with moderate performance in blender or get a 5950X for the best performance.

Get a 4070ti and a new 750W/850W PSU

You might also need a CPU cooler upgrade. the thermalright peerless assassin looks to be a good model.

Can you tell us where you are buying your parts from and your budget?

My current build is this:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX5700
  • RAM: G.Skill DDR4 Trident-Z 2x8GB 3200Mhz CL16 Black/White
  • STORAGE:
    • Seagate HDD 3.5" 1TB ST1000DM010 BarraCuda
    • Some 240GB SSD
    • Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NvMe M.2
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W PSU
And I'm just looking to upgrade this build. I have nothing special in mind, I just have a bit of money to spend and I like working on my pc so I figured why not. The build is from October 2019 and has run quite a few hours so maybe I should take replacing some components into account?

So is there anything I should upgrade? If not, where would be any bottlenecks if I were to upgrade anything?
Also I was looking at some GPU's and I was wondering if it is possible to add a GPU instead of replacing my existing one. If that is even a good idea.

I might also be interested in making my pc more quiet, it's not loud at all but I just love a nice a quiet system. While idling my pc is making around 39-43 dBA, is it worth looking for "quiet" fans or is that a bit of a waste of time. Also my HDD is frequently making noise, (it's the reason it goes up to 43 dBA, otherwise it stays around 40) it's nothing alarming I just noticed it.

Oh quick additional note; I'm getting a bit more into Blender and game development in Unity, so anything to make those run better is a massive plus.

I'd love to hear your suggestions, thanks!
What country are you located, what is your budget and what is your monitor resolution?

I'm located in The Netherlands, my budget is up to € 2000 and my monitor resolution is 1440p.
Add another set of that RAM you are using (make sure it's the identical set) to give you a total of 32GB of RAM. If you already have an aftermarket cpu cooler then disregard the one down below.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor (€192.95 @ Azerty)
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AK400 66.47 CFM CPU Cooler (€38.85 @ Megekko)
Video Card: *XFX Speedster MERC 310 Black Edition Radeon RX 7900 XT 20 GB Video Card (€888.00 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Power Supply: *NZXT C850 (2022) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€114.90 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Total: €1234.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-06-01 12:24 CEST+0200