[SOLVED] Im lost on budget upgrades

Feb 18, 2019
I currently have 8gb ram 1tb storage ryzen 3 1200 rx 560. Im wondering what would be a simple swap of graphics cards or cpu at a good price, I was looking at the ryzen 5 2600 rx 580 but im not sure if they are easy to swap, compatable or even in my budget. (Want to upgrade my pc for christmas)

Same problem. dell inspirion 5675 ryzen 3 1200 8gb rx 560 and want budget upgrades. any suggestions all i want to do is take out the cpu and gpu and replace them with the new cpu and gpu (like adding ram) is this possible?

Solution
Yes, the 1600X is still good. The 2600X only has about a 7% - 8% performance bump on it.

Physically going from the RX 560 to the RX 580 is as simple as removing one card and installing the other one. You may want to do a clean gfx driver install for best results afterward. Although, the existing driver may reconfigure itself for the RX 580 on its own. It depends how "universal" the driver actually is.

One caveat, tho... Be sure you have the room for the RX 580 that you choose. It may be longer than the RX 560 you have now, and run into a drive cage or something. You really need to open the case and take some measurements. Get familiar with the machine, don't be afraid of it. And don't forget about the PSU requirement...

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I think a new set of Ryzen will be out by than. Personal preference if everything is still running fine I would get a freesync monitor, than GPU/ram followed by the CPU or just wait till the last set of CPUs are released for AM4 and if your board supports it upgrade than which should be around 2020.

Though in order of things I would upgrade just from the sheer performance standpoint it would go GPU/RAM/CPU unless you find your being bottleneck by something in a program/game in which case let that take priority.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, I just did research I have a epa atx 460W according to another site selling this pc is that big enough or will I need a new psu gpu and cpu
You don't know how to take the side panel off the PC to look at the PSU? How did you plan on upgrading the CPU and GPU, then?

I've never heard of EPA. But a 460W PSU is way to small to safely run a RX 580. You would need a high quality 550W PSU at least. If the EPA 460W PSU that you have has a strong +12V rail, it will handle a GTX 1060, tho.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Im from the UK which is why my reply time is so late. Will tutorials work assuming in allowed a rx 580 and ryzen 5 2600?
OK, here's the thing...
That PC appears to be a Dell Inspiron Mini Tower. It might be a Euro model, because it doesn't look like the ones here in the US. So, components might not be the same.
Most likely, it has a Dell motherboard for 1st gen Ryzens (300-seies). The 2600X is a 2nd gen Ryzen and will require a BIOS update before it is recognized. Go to the Dell website for your PC and check if one is available.
If not, it may be less hassle to simply get a 1st Gen Ryzen like the 1600X instead. Should be simple swap and go.

Look on the top of the PC (or elsewhere) to see if there is a Service Tag attached. If so, it should let you find the machine's support page on the Dell site. And download the manual for it so you can see how to open the PC and do maintenance.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, the 1600X is still good. The 2600X only has about a 7% - 8% performance bump on it.

Physically going from the RX 560 to the RX 580 is as simple as removing one card and installing the other one. You may want to do a clean gfx driver install for best results afterward. Although, the existing driver may reconfigure itself for the RX 580 on its own. It depends how "universal" the driver actually is.

One caveat, tho... Be sure you have the room for the RX 580 that you choose. It may be longer than the RX 560 you have now, and run into a drive cage or something. You really need to open the case and take some measurements. Get familiar with the machine, don't be afraid of it. And don't forget about the PSU requirement for the RX 580.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 18, 2019
Im back. I basically want an easy swap of gpu and cpu. i have a ryzen 3 1200 and rx 560. Basically like I stated above I just want to swap the gpu and cpu instead of fussing about taking out my psu etc like, I'd take out the ryzen 3 1200 and put a ryzen 5 2600 or ryzen 5 1600x. or a 580 instead of 560. is this possible. its been a month since I used this thread so im lacklustered.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Im back. I basically want an easy swap of gpu and cpu. i have a ryzen 3 1200 and rx 560. Basically like I stated above I just want to swap the gpu and cpu instead of fussing about taking out my psu etc like, I'd take out the ryzen 3 1200 and put a ryzen 5 2600 or ryzen 5 1600x. or a 580 instead of 560. is this possible. its been a month since I used this thread so im lacklustered.
I already answered that above. The 460W Dell PSU is too small to safely run a RX 580 over time. The equally as fast GTX 1060 would work however. Nvidia gets more performance per watt out of their GPUs than AMD at this time.

The 1st gen Ryzen 5 1600X should be fine, but the 2nd gen Ryzen 5 2600 may need a BIOS update before the CPU will be recognized. You can try it, and then if it isn't recognized put the 1200 back in and update the BIOS.

Reactions: bencos2018
Feb 18, 2019
I already answered that above. The 460W Dell PSU is too small to safely run a RX 580 over time. The equally as fast GTX 1060 would work however. Nvidia gets more performance per watt out of their GPUs than AMD at this time.

The 1st gen Ryzen 5 1600X should be fine, but the 2nd gen Ryzen 5 2600 may need a BIOS update before the CPU will be recognized. You can try it, and then if it isn't recognized put the 1200 back in and update the BIOS.
So get a 1060 and ryzen 5 1600X? So they will be a swap?

Reactions: bencos2018

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Check your RX 560 you have now. If it is one of the few that require a 6-pin, you'll be all set. But most RX 560 don't require the 6-pin; most likely yours is one of those. Otherwise, dig around in the unused PSU wiring (if any exists) and see if you find one. You'll need it. I can't imagine a Dell 460W PSU w/o a 6-pin.

Next, measure from the expansion slot cover (along the PCIe x16 slot) to the first obstruction you come to. That will determine how long the gfx card can be max. You don't want to buy a gfx card only to find it won't fit the room you have in the case.